Puzzles
Heir, see my edit above and.

The Air Gap

Bin Laden Maintained Computer Security with an Air Gap
2-3 minutes

From the Associated Press:

Bin Laden’s system was built on discipline and trust. But it also left behind an extensive archive of email exchanges for the U.S. to scour. The trove of electronic records pulled out of his compound after he was killed last week is revealing thousands of messages and potentially hundreds of email addresses, the AP has learned.

Holed up in his walled compound in northeast Pakistan with no phone or Internet capabilities, bin Laden would type a message on his computer without an Internet connection, then save it using a thumb-sized flash drive. He then passed the flash drive to a trusted courier, who would head for a distant Internet cafe.

At that location, the courier would plug the memory drive into a computer, copy bin Laden’s message into an email and send it. Reversing the process, the courier would copy any incoming email to the flash drive and return to the compound, where bin Laden would read his messages offline.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2...maint.html

@Heir

Half the population at Base Camp was clinically delusional.
-- John Krakauer 1996 Everest Expedition.

Apophenia is : “the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)”
Like Reply
THREAD

Apophenia is : “the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)”
[-] The following 1 user Likes Max's post:
  • SlowLoris
Like Reply
(02-14-2021, 03:04 PM)Max Gravity Wrote: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2...maint.html

@Heir

Me Scratchinghead 1dunno1

Air Gap I was aware of from long ago . And the reports of the large Thumb Drive stash of Ladin 's .

Otherwise 1dunno1 Scratchinghead

[Image: 3FTRPrR.png][Image: on1tkoS.png]
https://web.archive.org/web/201310032204...gacy.info/
Celebrating Over 30 Years as a " Designated Paper Terrorist "
Like Reply
(02-14-2021, 03:19 PM)Heir Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 03:04 PM)Max Gravity Wrote: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2...maint.html

@Heir

Me  Scratchinghead  1dunno1

Air Gap I was aware of from long ago . And the reports of the large Thumb Drive stash of Ladin 's .

Otherwise  1dunno1  Scratchinghead

Just an example. I wouldn't go near the web with anything serious.

That trick worked well for OBL for a long time. You can encrypt to a drive or, use an encrypted drive and input encrypted data on to the drive, providing a second layer. There are free copies of PGP around, if that's your choice.

I use this product:
https://www.ironkey.com/en-US/

But, nothing beats a OTP for strong encryption.

• Heir
Like Reply
Cicada 3301

[Image: 220px-Cicada_3301_logo.jpg]
Cicada 3301 is a nickname given to an organization that, on three occasions, has posted a set of puzzles to recruit codebreakers from the public.[1] The first internet puzzle started on January 4, 2012, on 4chan and ran for nearly a month. A second round began one year later on January 4, 2013, and then a third round following the confirmation of a fresh clue posted on Twitter on January 4, 2014.[2][3] The third puzzle has yet to be solved. The stated intent was to recruit "intelligent individuals" by presenting a series of puzzles which were to be solved. No new puzzles were published on January 4, 2015. However, a new clue was posted on Twitter on January 5, 2016.[4][5] In April 2017, a verified PGP-signed message was found.[6] It explicitly denies the validity of any unsigned puzzle. A verified puzzle has not been posted since.

The puzzles focused heavily on data security, cryptography, steganography, and internet anonymity.[1][7][8][9][10]

It has been called "the most elaborate and mysterious puzzle of the internet age"[11] and is listed as one of the "top 5 eeriest, unsolved mysteries of the internet",[12] and much speculation exists as to its function. Many have speculated that the puzzles are a recruitment tool for the NSA, CIA, MI6, a "Masonic conspiracy"[13] or a cyber mercenary group.[1][8] Others have claimed Cicada 3301 is an alternate reality game. However, no company or individual has attempted to monetize it.[11] Dark Web: Cicada 3301, an upcoming film inspired by the organization, is scheduled for release in 2021.

Purpose

The stated purpose of the puzzles each year has been to recruit "highly intelligent individuals", although the ultimate purpose remains unknown.[1] Some[14] have claimed that Cicada 3301 is a secret society with the goal of improving cryptography, privacy and anonymity.[15] Others[16] have claimed that Cicada 3301 is a cult or religion. According to statements of several people who won the 2012 puzzle, 3301 typically uses non-puzzle-based recruiting methods, but created the Cicada puzzles because they were looking for potential members with cryptography and computer security skills.[14]

Types of clues
Locations of the physical paper signs from the 2012 puzzle

The Cicada 3301 clues have spanned many different communication media, including the internet, telephone, original music, bootable Linux CDs, digital images, physical paper signs, and pages of unpublished cryptic books written in runes. One book, titled Liber Primus, literally "first book", contains many pages, only some of which have been decrypted. More information on which pages were solved, and how can be found on the official Cicada 3301 wiki. In addition to using many varying techniques to encrypt, encode, or hide data, these clues also have referenced a wide variety of books, poetry, artwork and music.[1] Each clue has been signed by the same OpenPGP private key to confirm authenticity.[10][18]

More
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada_3301

• Elric
Like Reply
The below is from a gaming site. Pretty strange stuff..

Echelon Cyber Weapons Stuxnet Mind Control QANON CICADA 3301 CAKES
AdaciccicadA CicadaadaciC
AdaciccicadA CicadaadaciC • 20 January 2020 • User blog:AdaciccicadA

Snip
There is a secret Black Budget Pentagon surveillance program apparently in cooperation Echelon made by Cicada 3301 called CAKES, which was created by several talented civilians. Cakes was a tool whistle blowers and others living in fear could use to distribute information on the internet without being traced and the plug was pulled just a few months before NSA whistle blower Edward Snowden’s disclosures in 2013. The program is now used to allow thousands of honest Government people to report on their corrupt superiors, using what is called a DEAD BOX whistle blower encryption method so the non-corrupted Government officials can report corruption and still remain safe.

https://uncovering-cicada.fandom.com/wik...emain_safe.

• Elric
Like Reply
Cicada 3301 and Q

[Image: efax9i6.png]

Snip
Cryptic

It’s always nice to have a few mysteries for players to speculate on in an ARG, if only because it helps them pass the time while the poor puppetmasters scramble to sate their insatiable demand for more website updates and puzzles. A good mystery can keep a community guessing for, as Lost did with its numbers or Game of Thrones with Jon Snow’s parentage. But these mysteries always have to be balanced against specifics, lest the whole story dissolve into a puddle of mush; for as much we derided Lost for the underwhelming conclusion to its mysteries, no-one would’ve watched in the first place if the episode-to-episode storytelling wasn’t so strong.

The downside of being too mysterious in Perplex City is that cryptic messages often led players on wild goose chases such that they completely ignored entire story arcs in favour of pursuing their own theories. This was bad for us because we had a pretty strict timetable that we needed our story to play out on, pinned against the release of our physical puzzle cards that funded the entire enterprise. If players took too long to find the $200,000 treasure at the conclusion of the story, we might run out of money.

QAnon can favour cryptic messages because, as far as I know, they don’t have a specific timeline or goal in mind, let alone a production budget or paid staff. Not only is there no harm in followers misinterpreting messages, but it’s a strength: followers can occupy themselves with their own spin-off theories far better than “Q” can. Dan Hon notes:

For every ARG I’ve been involved in and ones my friends have been involved in, communities always consume/complete/burn through content faster than you can make it, when you’re doing a narrative-based game. This content generation/consumption/playing asymmetry is, I think, just a fact. But QAnon “solved” it by being able to co-opt all content that already exists and … encourages and allows you to create new content that counts and is fair play in-the-game.

But even QAnon needs some specificity, hence their frequent references to actual people, places, events, and so on.

[-] The following 3 users Like Max's post:
  • DeepSouthLady, Elric, SlowLoris
Like Reply
Thanks for making me feel stupid.
Drinks
(02-22-2021, 03:40 AM)Capnron Wrote: Thanks for making me feel stupid.
Drinks

Don't, those puzzles are really complicated and hard. Knowledge in several disciplines is necessary to solve 3301.

I'm just getting started on this series, i'm trying to sort out the graphics and content to post, and that's complicated.

Chuckle

WHY WOULD I WANT TO MEET THESE PEOPLE WHO SET UP A PUZZLE TO SORT OUT SMART PEOPLE ? NO FUCKIN WAY WOULD I CONTACT THEM !

[Image: cicada-565x559.png]

@Deplorably-Nameless remember my comment about smart people hiding their smarts ?

Just some additional stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ACicada_3301

[-] The following 3 users Like Max's post:
  • Dangerously Nameless, Elric, SlowLoris
Like Reply
Cicada

[Image: 220px-Neotibicen_linnei.jpg]
Annual cicada, Neotibicen linnei

One genus, the periodical cicadas spend most of their lives as underground nymphs, emerging only after 13 or 17 years. The unusual duration and timing of their emergence may reduce the number of cicadas lost to predation, both by making them a less reliably available prey (so that any predator who evolved to depend on cicadas for sustenance might starve waiting for their emergence), and by emerging in such huge numbers that they will satiate any remaining predators before losing enough of their number to threaten their survival as a species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

Prime number:
A prime number (or a prime) is a natural number greater than 1 that is not a product of two smaller natural numbers. A natural number greater than 1 that is not prime is called a composite number. For example, 5 is prime because the only ways of writing it as a product, 1 × 5 or 5 × 1, involve 5 itself. However, 4 is composite because it is a product (2 × 2) in which both numbers are smaller than 4. Primes are central in number theory because of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic: every natural number greater than 1 is either a prime itself or can be factorized as a product of primes that is unique up to their order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number

3  5  7  11  13  17

N4mPSPn/Y9z9+Y98TfU7k+Zi/I/ePP/74+uPPP9G+v6PXyTifc8JK16exO5xp/amsaY7f2edTTp1sT7J2++xsclmuR/LNCY9ofOLiTheXcfP6+dwskx472094N+p66N8dPidjSY+dj9K+v+unE/2S/InnJ1xNck5s2Y3fYTb5Ifng373sfE78S+t2PNrFx8T5T3T6T+H0u/uc2jr5R2X94x//+Pr/WFsCUlc+2OgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=[/img]

[-] The following 2 users Like Max's post:
  • DeepSouthLady, Elric
Like Reply