"Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" UAL328 Boeing 777-200 Engine Failure, Debris Rains Down on Denver
Information 

[Image: 6031a93520302761993521bd.jpg]
United Airlines Flight 328 returns to Denver International Airport starboard engine on fire, February 20, 2021 © Handout via Reuters / Hayden Smith / @speedbird5280 / @BroomfieldPD

Incident: United B772 at Denver on Feb 20th 2021, engine inlet separates from engine, engine fire
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Feb 20th 2021 21:24Z, last updated Sunday, Feb 21st 2021 05:12Z

A United Boeing 777-200, registration N772UA performing flight UA-328 from Denver,CO to Honolulu,HI (USA) with 231 passengers and 10 crew, was in the initial climb out of Denver's runway 25 when the right hand engine's (PW4077) inlet separated associated with the failure of the engine. The crew declared Mayday reporting an engine failure. The aircraft stopped the climb at about 13000 feet, the crew requested to return to Denver after running the checklists. ATC offered any runway, they would make it happen. The aircraft returned to Denver for a safe landing on runway 26 about 23 minutes after departure. The aircraft stopped on the runway for a check by emergency services. Emergency services advised of an active fire within the right hand engine and extinguished the fire a few minutes later. The aircraft was subsequently towed off the runway to a remote parking stand, where passengers disembarked and were bussed to the terminal. There were no injuries.

The engine inlet fell into the neighbourhood of Broomfield,CO, located about 16nm west of Denver near 13th and Elmwood Street, the debris also struck through the roof of an adjacent house.

Broomfield police reported that although debris impacted the neighbourhood and damaged a number of homes, there were no injuries on the ground. The debris field expands over a nautical mile.

Ground observers reported hearing the sound of an explosion like bang, smoke and saw the debris falling down. The aircraft continued flying.

[...] Continued ...

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e35503b&opt=0

Where there is imbalance I am the counterweight. Beware, for if you are a cause of imbalance you may not enjoy my presence.
[-] The following 8 users Like SkyCat's post:
  • Apache54, DaJavoo, Elric, FlyoverCountry, LucyBarnable, Max, Sassy, TXmimi
Like Reply

Where there is imbalance I am the counterweight. Beware, for if you are a cause of imbalance you may not enjoy my presence.
[-] The following 5 users Like SkyCat's post:
  • Apache54, DaJavoo, Elric, Scuffalufacus, TXmimi
Like Reply

[-] The following 6 users Like SkyCat's post:
  • Apache54, Capslock, DaJavoo, Elric, Scuffalufacus, TXmimi
Like Reply
That plane was very lucky when a engine is destroyed in that manner they are lucky the wing and fuel system was not damaged which could have taken them down.

Yes this plane can fly on one engine for awhile in good weather conditions.

They were very lucky!

I will be interested in what happened to that engine, failures of this type are not typical.
[-] The following 7 users Like Apache54's post:
  • Elric, Heir, Max, PickleSnout, RedAuroras, SkyCat, TXmimi
Like Reply
(02-21-2021, 09:30 AM)Apache54 Wrote: That plane was very lucky when a engine is destroyed in that manner they are lucky the wing and fuel system was not damaged which could have taken them down.

They were very lucky!

I will be interested in what happened to that engine, failures of this type are not typical.

Yup, they were fortunate.  They were also fortunate that no shrapnel entered the cabin.
[-] The following 5 users Like SkyCat's post:
  • Apache54, Elric, Max, PickleSnout, TXmimi
Like Reply
(02-21-2021, 10:47 AM)SkyCat Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 09:30 AM)Apache54 Wrote: That plane was very lucky when a engine is destroyed in that manner they are lucky the wing and fuel system was not damaged which could have taken them down.

They were very lucky!

Yup, they were fortunate.  They were also fortunate that no shrapnel entered the cabin.

With a normal jet type engine turning around 20K rpm. If a turbine blade came off it would have easily penetrated the cabin. or the fuel tank.

YUP, very lucky indeed!
[-] The following 3 users Like Apache54's post:
  • Max, SkyCat, TXmimi
Like Reply
I bet that dude filming the flaming engine just outside the window had shit firing out of his pant leg like a muddy trumpet.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes ~ Mark Twain
[-] The following 6 users Like Rembrandt's post:
  • Apache54, Capslock, crunchysuperman, ID Rick, RedAuroras, Weasel Keeper
Like Reply
You know that had to be loud in the cabin. Kudos to the pilots that got it back on the ground! It could've easily gone the other way. I'll bet there were more than a few pax that needed a hand getting unstuck from  their sucked-up seats!
[Image: jBnGhhZ.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like RedAuroras's post:
  • Apache54, Elric
Like Reply
(02-21-2021, 11:46 AM)RedAuroras Wrote: You know that had to be loud in the cabin. Kudos to the pilots that got it back on the ground! It could've easily gone the other way. I'll bet there were more than a few pax that needed a hand getting unstuck from  their sucked-up seats!

The 777 airplane has lots of computer assistance for many things, I wonder how fast the computer does or can compensate for the things that would have to be accomplished to fly that beast on one engine. I'll have to ask my brother as he wrote the computer program that allowed this plane to be built by computer design.
he may or may not know how that part works.
[-] The following 2 users Like Apache54's post:
  • RedAuroras, TXmimi
Like Reply

They were very lucky!

If it would have imploded and discharged the 1st stage compressor blades leading to total ingestion then the pressurized vessel  would have been penetrated by the compressor blades. They had a scary ride. High Five to the pilots, engineers and techs. 

All twin engine aircraft must meet single engine landing certification. 

I'm going to hypothesize that the engine was either newly replaced and the engine leading edge was not properly reattached at the Test Cell or a strike to the leading edge which is rare mathematically due to the volume of air directed into the intake via the compressor stages. IDK

Pretty neat seeing the ruptured oil reservoir burn off. Also neat that the lady in the background is calm.
[-] The following 3 users Like Arkan_Ted's post:
  • Apache54, Elric, RedAuroras
Like Reply