"Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" UAL328 Boeing 777-200 Engine Failure, Debris Rains Down on Denver
(02-21-2021, 01:31 PM)Arkan_Ted Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 09:30 AM)Apache54 Wrote: That plane was very lucky when a engine is destroyed in that manner they are lucky the wing and fuel system was not damaged which could have taken them down.

Yes this plane can fly on one engine for awhile in good weather conditions.

They were very lucky!

I will be interested in what happened to that engine, failures of this type are not typical.
If it would have imploded and discharged the 1st stage compressor blades leading to total ingestion then the pressurized vessel  would have been penetrated by the compressor blades. They had a scary ride. High Five to the pilots, engineers and techs. 

All twin engine aircraft must meet single engine landing certification. 

I'm going to hypothesize that the engine was either newly replaced and the engine leading edge was not properly reattached at the Test Cell or a strike to the leading edge which is rare mathematically due to the volume of air directed into the intake via the compressor stages. IDK

Pretty neat seeing the ruptured oil reservoir burn off.  Also neat that the lady in the background is calm.

I did not have a good picture of a jet turbine internals so this is 7-FA GE gas turbine which the picture shows how many blades are in a engine like that and one can imagine the damage those blades can do when coming loose.

I know you know this but many others probably have not seen a internal picture like this.

[Image: 6pKVbxK.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Apache54's post:
  • Arkan_Ted, TXmimi
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/13...6868987904
[-] The following 3 users Like counterintelligence's post:
  • Apache54, crunchysuperman, SkyCat
Like Reply
Analysis

Quote:Observations of the video available showing the engine failure and fire aboard United Airlines flight 328 on Feb 20 2021. From the point of view of an engine guy. The Turbofan design engineer referred to in the video is my friend grahamj9101 When the final NTSB report is released, we will see how close or how far off the mark I really am.
Where there is imbalance I am the counterweight. Beware, for if you are a cause of imbalance you may not enjoy my presence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkyCat's post:
  • Apache54
Like Reply
United Airlines grounded 24 Boeing 777s powered by Pratt & Whitney 4000 series engines after the Denver incident.

https://www.airlive.net/united-grounds-2...-incident/
[Image: jBnGhhZ.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like RedAuroras's post:
  • Apache54, SkyCat
Like Reply
(02-22-2021, 12:05 PM)RedAuroras Wrote: United Airlines grounded 24 Boeing 777s powered by Pratt & Whitney 4000 series engines after the Denver incident.

I bet It has to do with some parts installed that may not be correctly built or possibly a change in procedures that is not correct.

The parts are very high dollar and every Tom, Dick and Harry wants in on the money, so you also end up with after market parts that can be forged/faked upon occasion. From what I know about many things about the airline industry from the maint. to parts, it could happen.

I don't know if this is still the case or not but not to many years ago several major airlines were having maint. done in a foreign country where the workers performing the work could NOT read or understand the repair manuals and so they had interpreters reading the manuals to them. THAT IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

I don't fly hardly EVER anymore and this is one main reason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Apache54's post:
  • SkyCat
Like Reply
(02-22-2021, 12:47 PM)Apache54 Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 12:05 PM)RedAuroras Wrote: United Airlines grounded 24 Boeing 777s powered by Pratt & Whitney 4000 series engines after the Denver incident.

I bet It has to do with some parts installed that may not be correctly built or possibly a change in procedures that is not correct.

The parts are very high dollar and every Tom, Dick and Harry wants in on the money, so you also end up with after market parts that can be forged/faked  upon occasion. From what I know about many things about the airline industry from the maint. to parts, it could happen.

I don't know if this is still the case or not but not to many years ago several major airlines were having maint. done in a foreign country where the workers performing the work could NOT read or understand the repair manuals and so they had interpreters reading the manuals to them.  THAT IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

+1, amongst other reasons
Where there is imbalance I am the counterweight. Beware, for if you are a cause of imbalance you may not enjoy my presence.
[-] The following 2 users Like SkyCat's post:
  • Apache54, RedAuroras
Like Reply
(02-22-2021, 12:53 PM)SkyCat Wrote:

The parts are very high dollar and every Tom, Dick and Harry wants in on the money, so you also end up with after market parts that can be forged/faked  upon occasion. From what I know about many things about the airline industry from the maint. to parts, it could happen.

I don't know if this is still the case or not but not to many years ago several major airlines were having maint. done in a foreign country where the workers performing the work could NOT read or understand the repair manuals and so they had interpreters reading the manuals to them.  THAT IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

+1, amongst other reasons

Flying itself doesn't bother me. It's these &%$#&$#^ airports that I absolutely hate to navigate.

But that being said, just wait. Maint. contractors right here will be getting Biden bucks to hire immigrants to do the work. I remember kiosks in terminals that for $10, you could get an insurance policy JIC your flight augered in. Do they still have those?
[Image: jBnGhhZ.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes RedAuroras's post:
  • SkyCat
Like Reply

Go and fly sailplanes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Arkan_Ted's post:
  • Apache54
Like Reply
(02-22-2021, 01:52 PM)Arkan_Ted Wrote:

Go and fly sailplanes.

Single engine and sail planes are fine as they can land without any power needed unless it is in a storm type condition, they are not like a jet that has virtually little glide pattern and it would be coming in way over max speed. crash is a positive to a deadly ending.
Like Reply
(02-22-2021, 01:56 PM)Apache54 Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 01:52 PM)Arkan_Ted Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 12:47 PM)Apache54 Wrote: I bet It has to do with some parts installed that may not be correctly built or possibly a change in procedures that is not correct.

Go and fly sailplanes.

Single engine and sail planes are fine as they can land without any power needed unless it is in a storm type condition, they are not like a jet that has virtually little glide pattern and it would be coming in way over max speed. crash is a positive to a deadly ending.
I don't agree.
Like Reply