Midwit.. A new word for me, didn't know it.
in usage..

[Image: DkNuv2i.png]

A (not the) definition:

op definition
Midwit
Described by Vox Day as "individuals of above average intelligence, yet not too far from average".

Generally found in the 105-120 IQ range. These are the people who are considered "gifted" in primary school and perhaps "honors" in high school. In the same vein, they either think of themselves as "smart but lazy" or perform well in school yet do poorly/mediocre on standardized testing. May attend a low-tier university or none at all. Almost always very online, with strong opinions that lack nuance.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Midwit

Chuckle

[Image: MnuaJJB.jpg]

Half the population at Base Camp was clinically delusional.
-- John Krakauer 1996 Everest Expedition.

Apophenia is : “the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)”
[-] The following 11 users Like Max's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Debauchery, Echo, Elric, Goldilocks, ID Rick, MysticPizza, Rembrandt, SkyCat, SlowLoris
Like Reply
Another one:

Snip
A ‘midwit’ is someone of middling intelligence. They are higher than lackwits, halfwits and fuckwits, but are lower than any genuine wit. They’re not dull, just not bright. Although this sounds very ordinary, the sheer mass of humanity at the very centre of the bell curve creates its own phenomena that we have to be wary of.

Psychologists have observed a curious phenomenon that is known as the Dunning-Kruger Effect. This is when a person with a low level of ability or knowledge heavily overrates themselves. It’s a specific example of an area of Psychology known as illusory superiority.

A person is most liable to fall victim to the Dunning-Kruger Effect when they know a little bit about a subject. This is because a person who doesn’t know the boundaries of a field of knowledge will not know the limitations of their own knowledge either. The tendency in such cases is to discount the volume of the knowledge not known.

When someone uses the term ‘midwit’ they are referring to this kind of person. They don’t mean a person of merely average intelligence, but rather a person who is utterly incapable of recognising their own intellectual shortcomings. The midwit secretly thinks he might be the smartest person who ever lived. This is because his understanding of his limitations is minimal.

https://vjmpublishing.nz/?p=19198

Dunning–Kruger effect

Snip
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a hypothetical cognitive bias stating that people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability.

As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the bias results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[1] It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from people's inability to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their level of competence.

Colloquially, people experiencing this bias are said to be "on Mount Stupid".[2][3]

The hypothesis has been claimed to align with many people's just world theory.[4] The effect, or Dunning and Kruger's original explanation for the effect, has been challenged by mathematical analyses[4][5][6] and comparisons across cultures.[7][8]

(These authors have a sense of humor..)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2...ger_effect

Apophenia is : “the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)”
[-] The following 5 users Like Max's post:
  • Apache54, Elric, San Azulito, SkyCat, SlowLoris
Like Reply
The midwit secretly thinks he might be the smartest person who ever lived.

I'm not sure we are allowed to disagree with how he self identifies. This sounds like it might be witaphobia.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
[-] The following 4 users Like San Azulito's post:
  • Apache54, Max, SkyCat, SlowLoris
Like Reply
I always thought mid was halfway. Like middle.
In that case midwits are really halfwits.
[-] The following 4 users Like Saul Goode's post:
  • Apache54, Max, San Azulito, SkyCat
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 05:00 PM)San Azulito Wrote: The midwit secretly thinks he might be the smartest person who ever lived.

I'm not sure we are allowed to disagree with how he self identifies.  This sounds like it might be witaphobia.

Yeah, in today's "Sociology", if you Present as a Trans, Native American, University Professor of Astrophysics, you can't really be questioned on your Presentation Claims. They HAVE to be accepted as true.

STUFF is sure getting confusing.

[Image: 9iveBtL.png]

[-] The following 4 users Like Max's post:
  • Apache54, Elric, San Azulito, SkyCat
Like Reply
[Image: midwitdistribution.png]

"Midwit" was coined by Vox Day to describe individuals of above average intelligence, yet not too far from average. Essentially people smart enough to think about ideas, reason through them to some degree and feel confident, or more accurately, over confident and then cause damage. I was made aware the term by author, deplorable, and twitter troll, Michael "sick burns" Malice. Malice has made a living dunking on midwits via twitter. He likes to say that the sweet spot for midwits is the 115 IQ range.

I am fairly confident that I am above average intelligence. However, I am not so certain I quite make it to the 115 IQ threshold. But on the other hand, perhaps IQ is pseudo science garbage anyways, In which case I shouldn't be withheld the title of Midwit. Then, I can work to overcome my over confidence and my superficial understandings in this blog and life.

https://www.midwit.com/midwit/

• Apache54, Elric, SkyCat, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 05:13 PM)Max Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 05:00 PM)San Azulito Wrote: The midwit secretly thinks he might be the smartest person who ever lived.

I'm not sure we are allowed to disagree with how he self identifies.  This sounds like it might be witaphobia.

Yeah, in today's "Sociology" if you Present as a Trans, Native American, University Professor of Astrophysics, you can't really be questioned on your Presentation Claims. They HAVE to be accepted as true.

Every time I see this photo, hot, burning bile comes up the back of my throat. Nonono
My mind, a field of battles, struggles for peace in a tight place.
[-] The following 4 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • Apache54, Elric, Max, San Azulito
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 04:33 PM)Max Wrote: in usage..

[Image: DkNuv2i.png]

A (not the) definition:

op definition
Midwit
Described by Vox Day as "individuals of above average intelligence, yet not too far from average".

Generally found in the 105-120 IQ range. These are the people who are considered "gifted" in primary school and perhaps "honors" in high school. In the same vein, they either think of themselves as "smart but lazy" or perform well in school yet do poorly/mediocre on standardized testing. May attend a low-tier university or none at all. Almost always very online, with strong opinions that lack nuance.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Midwit

Chuckle

[Image: MnuaJJB.jpg]
Hey, I got lost down the turtle hole in the last couple days. I realized that not only I but the people I know near have the same questions. So, last night we got Cooter Browned and even a draw board was broke out. Exhausted from being around warriors of high intellect and common sense and one of them brought up space travel the corcksucker and derailed us over an hour. Long story short. Instant gratification is the problem. We are not from that reality.
[-] The following 5 users Like Arkan_Ted's post:
  • Apache54, Elric, FlyoverCountry, Max, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 05:20 PM)Oldcynic Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 05:13 PM)Max Wrote:

Yeah, in today's "Sociology" if you Present as a Trans, Native American, University Professor of Astrophysics, you can't really be questioned on your Presentation Claims. They HAVE to be accepted as true.

Every time I see this photo, hot, burning bile comes up the back of my throat. Nonono

Biden's America.

• Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Elric, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 05:37 PM)Arkan_Ted Wrote:
Hey, I got lost down the turtle hole in the last couple days. I realized that not only I but the people I know near have the same questions. So, last night we got Cooter Browned and even a draw board was broke out. Exhausted from being around warriors of high intellect and common sense and one of them brought up space travel the corcksucker and derailed us over an hour. Long story short. Instant gratification is the problem. We are not from that reality.

Speaking of Space Travel, it looks like there's some "friction" between the two big providers.

Chuckle[Image: odM0kh9.png]

• Apache54, Arkan_Ted, ELIAKIM, Elric
Like Reply