The Balkans - FSU - Former Eastern Bloc Discussion
If we are looking for the frontline of East vs West in todays political climate, we need to look at Ukraine. Without a doubt, the EU & US have interfered openly and covertly to create a greater divide between Ukraine and Russia. Things are rarely as simple as they appear and we certainly don't get an honest account of events through MSM in the US.

To try to understand Ukraine (or anywhere for that matter), it's worth taking a look at history to see what lead up to present day events.

Here is a brief animated history of Ukraine that gives us some background to better understand the events of recent years. 17 mins.

[-] The following 4 users Like =42's post:
  • Dr Evil, Sami aka Roxi, Verity, Wingsprint
Like Reply
Support Ukrainian Free Enterprise !

[Image: copper-pot-still-510x510.jpg]

https://copper-pro.com/product-category/...iller-set/

[Image: 3FTRPrR.png][Image: on1tkoS.png]
https://web.archive.org/web/201310032204...gacy.info/
Celebrating Over 30 Years as a " Designated Paper Terrorist "
[-] The following 5 users Like Heir's post:
  • =42, Dr Evil, PickleSnout, Sami aka Roxi, Wingsprint
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 03:05 PM)=42 Wrote: @snowglobe  , I know there is someone on this board that is Orthodox Christian. Is it you? Or, is your interest just in the ongoing (eternal) war between Islam & Christianity?

Yup, that is me. Chuckle

I did a lot of studying before making that decision. Heartflowers
The Truth is learned, never told.
[-] The following 5 users Like snowglobe's post:
  • =42, Dr Evil, PickleSnout, Sassy, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 03:10 PM)snowglobe Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 08:53 PM)=42 Wrote:
@snowglobe The first video above describes the situation more as a War within the Orthodox Church than against the Orthodox Church. It also says there's a similar "schism" taking place in Ukraine against the Russian Orthodox Church. The Orthodox Church remains, they just want to remove the control and influence of the Serbians (in Kosovo) & the Russians (in Ukraine).

According to Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo

Kosovo is 88% ethnic Albanian and 7% ethnic Serbian. 95.6% Muslim and 3.7% Christian, which breaks down further to 2.2% Catholic and 1.5% Eastern Orthodox.

Is it a war on Christianity?  1dunno1  Is is just an extension of ethnic conflict?   1dunno1   Is there outside influence?    1dunno1

Over all, in the former Yugoslavia, it was the Serbians that had the ethnic majority at 36.3% and wielded the most political power. I don't want to get into who's the good guy & who's the bad guy, but without a doubt, it was the Serbians that wanted to maintain the status quo in Yugoslavia and wanted to prevent the other ethnic & religious groups from establishing independence.

Most situations are very difficult (if not impossible) to understand from the outside. As an outsider I have looked into certain things to discover certain things for myself and that is all that I have to share.

Let's take an imaginary country as an example. The country has a long deep history where the people have worked hard to live full and purposeful lives and to have respect for their neighbors but preserve their country and heritage for their children.

The neighboring country also has a long deep history and heritage but has a different belief system than them, but what they do in their own country is their own business and both countries can live in peace.

There are a couple of small problems though. The neighbor believes in having multiple wives and having as many children as possible from each of them. It is expected that a plot of land will be left for each of the children to begin to farm for their own family. Before many generations pass they are starting to get a little crowded. Another little issue with the neighbors belief system is that they believe that they are to possess the entire world in the name of their god and to kill or enslave anyone who does not serve their god.

The neighbors with their many children are able to put together armies in an alarming rate because by their belief system each man should have at least two women pregnant at a time.

It starts small. Children are sent from the second country to help with the harvest in the first country and are paid with crops to help feed their large family back home. Little by little a few of them move into the first country to open a shop or to be more available for work. Soon they move in their cousins and uncles who are followed by many pregnant women. Before much time passes they form their own communities and then want to declare an area as their territory. Next they want their independents in the country that they are now usurping and enlarging their home country by doing so.

Before long the first country realizes what is happening and do not want their country divided up and their children's inheritance being given to immigrants. They begin to fight back.

The next thing you know the global media starts saying that the original citizens of the country are oppressing the usurpers. In the end NATO waited until the highest Christian holiday to send in the bombers. Clinton led the bombing of Yugoslavia on Easter Sunday.

This is not the only country that this has happened in. Now we watch as this happens in Europe, Canada and the United States.  Heartflowers

I can't disagree with any of that!  

I make no claims to be an expert on any of these countries, only that I'm gaining a better understanding than had previously and I'm intrigued to learn more.

There are many lessons to be learned from these countries. Failures of communism, forcing people with differing ethnicities & religions together and trying to make them a monolithic whole, or giving preferential treatment to one group and subjugating the other.

I also agree that the EU will eventually crumble (probably violently) and that there are actors with bad intentions sowing discord in the US & Canada for their own nefarious objectives! 
  Heartflowers
[-] The following 6 users Like =42's post:
  • Dr Evil, Sami aka Roxi, Sassy, SlowLoris, snowglobe, ~Leela~
Like Reply
Here's another animated history video, this time it's centered on Croatia, but it does cover some of the history of the Balkans and the former Yugoslavia. Especially how the religious divisions were created.  18 mins. @snowglobe

[-] The following 3 users Like =42's post:
  • Dr Evil, snowglobe, Verity
Like Reply
snowglobe Wrote:
=42 Wrote:@snowglobe  , I know there is someone on this board that is Orthodox Christian. Is it you? Or, is your interest just in the ongoing (eternal) war between Islam & Christianity?

Yup, that is me.  Chuckle

I did a lot of studying before making that decision.  Heartflowers

To me the orthodox crucifix is the most beautiful and rich. If I had to choose one, It would be difficult.
I love the artwork, and the silver and gold combined. Hard for me to see the Lord in his moment of greatest suffering for our sakes, but the art is stunning on the reverse as well. Makes it bearable if wearing that token is important for someone.
[Image: hRfn9kJ.png] Heartflowers
[-] The following 5 users Like PickleSnout's post:
  • =42, Dr Evil, Sassy, SlowLoris, snowglobe
Like Reply
As I mentioned above, if there is a frontline in the East vs. West struggle in former Soviet aligned countries it is Ukraine. I don't watch MSM (if they are giving it any coverage?), but nothing was popping up on my radar as to the current status there, so I looked into it.

It appears that tensions are rising again and there is a possibility for the conflict to escalate. The EU and US are of course "aiding" Ukraine.

On the issue of Crimea, I think an argument could be made that Russia has a valid claim to it and even if that would prove to be false, that there is no way that Russia would relinquish control of it due to its strategic value and being the home of Russia's Black Sea Fleet.

Video gives a recent update. 8 mins.

[-] The following 6 users Like =42's post:
  • Dr Evil, Heir, Sami aka Roxi, Sassy, Verity, Wingsprint
Like Reply
The video below is a few years old, but it introduces some info about "rogue" Ukrainian forces that is new to me. 22 mins, but if you jump to about 14 min mark, you can see there are some antifa like elements.

[-] The following 4 users Like =42's post:
  • Dr Evil, Sami aka Roxi, Sassy, Verity
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 07:05 PM)PickleSnout Wrote:
snowglobe Wrote:
=42 Wrote:@snowglobe  , I know there is someone on this board that is Orthodox Christian. Is it you? Or, is your interest just in the ongoing (eternal) war between Islam & Christianity?

Yup, that is me.  Chuckle

I did a lot of studying before making that decision.  Heartflowers

To me the orthodox crucifix is the most beautiful and rich. If I had to choose one, It would be difficult.
I love the artwork, and the silver and gold combined. Hard for me to see the Lord in his moment of greatest suffering for our sakes, but the art is stunning on the reverse as well. Makes it bearable if wearing that token is important for someone.

Indeed they are. As far as I know these crosses are mostly given as gifts.

When I asked about some of the lavish things it was explained to me that many things are reflective or meant to represent the future kingdom. Not where we are struggling now. Many of the churches are quaint and boring on the outside but when you enter it is like you are in a surreal place.

I walked into a building that is in San Francisco that I told was a cathedral. I did a double take. I guessed that perhaps it had been built during the depression because it was not much to look at. I was shocked when I got inside. 

When I was first checking things out I was told "Study the writings from the times when the crosses were wood and the priests had hearts of gold." There is a remarkable amount of writings that have made it down to us from the ascetics in the first centuries. There was nothing fancy about them.

[Image: qiZFvOI.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like snowglobe's post:
  • =42, Dr Evil, Heir, PickleSnout, Sassy, Verity
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 06:54 PM)=42 Wrote: Here's another animated history video, this time it's centered on Croatia, but it does cover some of the history of the Balkans and the former Yugoslavia. Especially how the religious divisions were created.  18 mins. @snowglobe

That was pretty good, and it is all about the alphabet. Chuckle

As a Canadian I was told something years ago when I was exploring things. Imagine this being said in a loud bombastic Zorba the Greek voice. "You want to understand? You are a Canadian, we have blood feuds that have been going on longer than you have been a country! How are you going to understand?"

I of course did not answer but gave things my best shot. The reality is though, we have to dig deeper inside and stretch to understand a different world view than ours. Their experience is different and deeper. Here children talk about toys. In other countries children talk about war and are taught to survive. When they are taught about their ancestries it is smattered with "Uncle George fought in ______ and was killed by the ______. He had two sons. Both were soldier, one was killed by the ________ and the second son was killed by the ________."

There are not many over here who can relate to that.
[-] The following 6 users Like snowglobe's post:
  • =42, Dr Evil, Heir, PickleSnout, Sami aka Roxi, Sassy
Like Reply