ZEN and the Art of Autonomous Driving. My personal emotions....
As I approached the sensuous shape before me, the lines of light bearing the sculpture as a lithe cat or a reclining woman, I could smell hot oil and gasoline escaping from her loins.  I glided my hands over the soft curves of her aluminium skin, sensing the thousands of hammer-hits endured whilst forming her hips.

Reaching into the cockpit, I yanked on the cable inside the shell of the door to release the latch.  The essence of old leather and ancient wood struck me as I squeezed myself behind the large, thin wood and aluminium wheel.  The expanse of glistening wood with dials, levers, buttons and switches were splayed out before me as I settled into a comfortable position. 

The central ignition key clicked on and the tick-tick of the fuel pumps rattled behind me.  The "estrangulator" (British for choke) lever is slid into a mid-position before pressing an innocent looking button which engaged the electric starter to spin the three liter, 12 cylinder engine.  With my foot on the left-most of three pedals pivoting on the floor, I pressed it into the firewall to disengage the mighty 12 cylinders from the gearbox beside me.

The gear selector lever felt like a latch to a vault as I inched it into its first gear position.  I slowly lifted  off the left pedal whilst feathering the right side pedal, making the six dual-throats spit and splutter in defiance as they put the 12  cylinders to work.  Once underway, the 12 cylinders began to release their energy as they spun the flywheel and gearbox up to 8,000 revolutions per minute.  I quickly grabbed the gear lever and thoughtfully considered the brass syncro-mesh rings, cold, being pushed to clench the second gear.  It was like a new first gear.

The thin, wooden steering wheel buzzed with the frequency created by the tarmac surface on which the wire wheels and tyres were rolling.  The rev-counter was unnecessary as the gearbox lever also buzzed a frequency to be felt when it was time to shift up.  Another new first gear.  By now, this rolling sculpture was gaining speed as the 12 cylinders choired into a symphony not unlike the "ripping of canvas."

Sensing the supporting springing of the chassis, I could anticipate distress from the front and rear tyres as they fought to retain grip on the tarmac.  Pressing the right side pedal too aggressively asked the chassis to rotate in a spin.  Delicate control, counter-steering was the only way to keep the beast on a line to its goal.  As a blind man, I could describe the road surface and even the painted lines with what the wood-rimmed steering wheel was transmitting.

Man and Machine.  Created by man, breathing as an organism, accelerating my body through the channels of time.  Visceral, challenging, limited only by the natural tendency for which objects change position and travel.  Gravity and aerodynamics.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Why did I write this?  'cause I was stoned and it accompanies this article on "autonomous cars."

Quote:Banned From YouTube: Damning Video Details Tesla's 'Full Self Driving' Claims Versus Reality

[Image: picture-5.jpg]by Tyler Durden

Friday, Mar 26, 2021 - 09:05 AM

On Thursday, a video dropped on YouTube that laid out Elon Musk's statements about Full Self Driving over the last 5 years, compared to what the company has actually been able to achieve and deliver. The 12 minute video laid out a blatantly obvious case for Full Self Driving to be, as one FinTwit user described it, "one of the biggest bait and switch scams in history".
Noted Tesla short seller Montana Skeptic called the video "a truly superb 12-minute YouTube presentation on [Tesla's] full self-driving promises," noting that "almost every word spoken or written is by [Elon Musk], his carefully selected beta testers, or his legal counsel." 
In fact, the video made such an impact, some users joked that they were surprised it hadn't been pulled from YouTube yet. And then, of course, by the end of the night Thursday, the video had been pulled from YouTube. 
Quote:Lol this just happened. https://t.co/zltHiv8dL5 pic.twitter.com/Oddb7XJTPK
— Rob Schmied (@rschmied) March 25, 2021
After being re-uploaded to Vimeo, it appeared the video was once again taken down. Finally, it was put on Veoh, where it now resides. It has also been posted in a series of 5 Tweets:
Quote:Elon Musk is aggressively going after the Tesla Self-Driving Scam video uploaded today and attempting to take it down everywhere.

I've split it into parts, so hopefully this stays up for this evening.

I've lost the ability to encourage mans' endeavors.  I feel sorry for those who have never experienced man/machine connection.

Tyler's full article:   https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/banned...us-reality
My mind, a field of battles, struggles for peace in a tight place.
[-] The following 5 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • =42, =cm=, FlyoverCountry, Max, Sassy
Like Reply
(03-26-2021, 01:44 PM)Oldcynic Wrote: As I approached the sensuous shape before me, the lines of light bearing the sculpture as a lithe cat or a reclining woman, I could smell hot oil and gasoline escaping from her loins.  I glided my hands over the soft curves of her aluminium skin, sensing the thousands of hammer-hits endured whilst forming her hips.

Reaching into the cockpit, I yanked on the cable inside the shell of the door to release the latch.  The essence of old leather and ancient wood struck me as I squeezed myself behind the large, thin wood and aluminium wheel.  The expanse of glistening wood with dials, levers, buttons and switches were splayed out before me as I settled into a comfortable position. 

The central ignition key clicked on and the tick-tick of the fuel pumps rattled behind me.  The "estrangulator" (British for choke) lever is slid into a mid-position before pressing an innocent looking button which engaged the electric starter to spin the three liter, 12 cylinder engine.  With my foot on the left-most of three pedals pivoting on the floor, I pressed it into the firewall to disengage the mighty 12 cylinders from the gearbox beside me.

The gear selector lever felt like a latch to a vault as I inched it into its first gear position.  I slowly lifted  off the left pedal whilst feathering the right side pedal, making the six dual-throats spit and splutter in defiance as they put the 12  cylinders to work.  Once underway, the 12 cylinders began to release their energy as they spun the flywheel and gearbox up to 8,000 revolutions per minute.  I quickly grabbed the gear lever and thoughtfully considered the brass syncro-mesh rings, cold, being pushed to clench the second gear.  It was like a new first gear.

The thin, wooden steering wheel buzzed with the frequency created by the tarmac surface on which the wire wheels and tyres were rolling.  The rev-counter was unnecessary as the gearbox lever also buzzed a frequency to be felt when it was time to shift up.  Another new first gear.  By now, this rolling sculpture was gaining speed as the 12 cylinders choired into a symphony not unlike the "ripping of canvas."

Sensing the supporting springing of the chassis, I could anticipate distress from the front and rear tyres as they fought to retain grip on the tarmac.  Pressing the right side pedal too aggressively asked the chassis to rotate in a spin.  Delicate control, counter-steering was the only way to keep the beast on a line to its goal.  As a blind man, I could describe the road surface and even the painted lines with what the wood-rimmed steering wheel was transmitting.

Man and Machine.  Created by man, breathing as an organism, accelerating my body through the channels of time.  Visceral, challenging, limited only by the natural tendency for which objects change position and travel.  Gravity and aerodynamics.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Why did I write this?  'cause I was stoned and it accompanies this article on "autonomous cars."

Quote:Banned From YouTube: Damning Video Details Tesla's 'Full Self Driving' Claims Versus Reality

On Thursday, a video dropped on YouTube that laid out Elon Musk's statements about Full Self Driving over the last 5 years, compared to what the company has actually been able to achieve and deliver. The 12 minute video laid out a blatantly obvious case for Full Self Driving to be, as one FinTwit user described it, "one of the biggest bait and switch scams in history".
Noted Tesla short seller Montana Skeptic called the video "a truly superb 12-minute YouTube presentation on [Tesla's] full self-driving promises," noting that "almost every word spoken or written is by [Elon Musk], his carefully selected beta testers, or his legal counsel." 
In fact, the video made such an impact, some users joked that they were surprised it hadn't been pulled from YouTube yet. And then, of course, by the end of the night Thursday, the video had been pulled from YouTube. 
Quote:Lol this just happened. https://t.co/zltHiv8dL5 pic.twitter.com/Oddb7XJTPK
After being re-uploaded to Vimeo, it appeared the video was once again taken down. Finally, it was put on Veoh, where it now resides. It has also been posted in a series of 5 Tweets:
Quote:Elon Musk is aggressively going after the Tesla Self-Driving Scam video uploaded today and attempting to take it down everywhere.

I've lost the ability to encourage mans' endeavors.  I feel sorry for those who have never experienced man/machine connection.

That was a well formed post. Drinks Enjoyed it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Arkan_Ted's post:
  • =42, Max, Oldcynic
Like Reply
Here in SF there are a lot of Tesla cars. One of the local morning Drive Time radio shows, who did regular traffic reports, had a special Tesla (comedy) feature of Tesla car crashes and car fires (battery)..Car-B-Qs.

The crash that likely was the most reported the day it happened was two Tesla's, on Hwy 101 in SilValley, crashing into each other and closing a big chunk of the freeway during commute hours.

The other big one not involving Teslas that got big press was an Apple test car colliding with a google test car, that both had attendant drivers in them, crashing into each other on 101 closing the freeway.

The Tesla's were on auto pilot for the most part. The afternoon Tesla crashes usually involved a drunk Tesla driver with the car on auto pilot. My favorite was one where the driver was sitting in the passenger seat.

Chuckle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpsPPbnZxq4

Hope is not a plan.

Apophenia is : “the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)”
[-] The following 3 users Like Max's post:
  • =42, Heir, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(03-26-2021, 01:44 PM)Oldcynic Wrote: As I approached the sensuous shape before me, the lines of light bearing the sculpture as a lithe cat or a reclining woman, I could smell hot oil and gasoline escaping from her loins.  I glided my hands over the soft curves of her aluminium skin, sensing the thousands of hammer-hits endured whilst forming her hips.

I get and appreciate the connection you have made to Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. A similar man and machine relationship with a philosophical bent can be found in a trilogy by Richard Bach, who is most famous for his work Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Flying: The Aviation Trilogy. Scribner 2003, ISBN 0-7432-4747-7, Collected edition containing
  • Stranger to the Ground

• Biplane

• Nothing by Chance
Reminds me I need to pick up a new book even if it is a re-read.
[-] The following 1 user Likes =42's post:
  • Oldcynic
Like Reply
(03-26-2021, 02:27 PM)=42 Wrote:

I get and appreciate the connection you have made to Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. A similar man and machine relationship with a philosophical bent can be found in a trilogy by Richard Bach, who is most famous for his work Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Flying: The Aviation Trilogy. Scribner 2003, ISBN 0-7432-4747-7, Collected edition containing
  • Stranger to the Ground

• Biplane

• Nothing by Chance
Nothing wrong with re-reading.............Due respect @=42.
I'm flailing in this skin suit.
[-] The following 2 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • =42, Max
Like Reply

@Oldcynic, If that's how you write when stoned, please continue doing so.

That right there was award material at its finest!  Heartflowers
[-] The following 1 user Likes =cm='s post:
  • Oldcynic
Like Reply
(03-26-2021, 02:45 PM)Oldcynic Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 02:27 PM)=42 Wrote:

• Stranger to the Ground

• Biplane

• Nothing by Chance
Nothing wrong with re-reading.............Due respect @=42.
I'm flailing in this skin suit.

This might be a bit off topic, but welcome to the future of Auto Racing... and the future is here!

Facepalm
[-] The following 1 user Likes =42's post:
  • Oldcynic
Like Reply
I like smaller cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xkjaWMRwVY

The last half is best IMO if you're not going to watch it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCHI2LeVDCg

Hope is not a plan.

Apophenia is : “the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)”
[-] The following 2 users Like Max's post:
  • =42, Oldcynic
Like Reply
Real Mini's not the BMW BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM03_IxnNOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1lmgmOkUn89

Fiat/Abarth 500
Discontinued in NA. $9-10k used
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY6TYmdLrcc

Hope is not a plan.

[-] The following 2 users Like Max's post:
  • =42, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(03-26-2021, 02:56 PM)=cm= Wrote:

@Oldcynic, If that's how you write when stoned, please continue doing so.

That right there was award material at its finest!  Heartflowers
i cried upon reading this.
What a life!
God smiles when we enjoy the venture.  I swear He does. Cheer Although He indicates otherwise:

Quote:Ecclesiastes 2:24 ESV 

There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God,
[-] The following 3 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • =42, =cm=, FlyoverCountry
Like Reply