Instincts
When I left my small town in central Idaho 22 years ago for the big city, my instinct changed. I went from a peaceful man to a man with eyes all around my head. I went on defense. Stayed that way for 21 years. My wife saw the change and she didn't like it. But we stuck it out. Made some jingle, and moved back home. Now I am still very defensive! The election did not help that nor the shit show we have going on now. 

I pray every day that I can feel peace again.
Doin' what I can with what I got

[Image: xHV5PUW.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like IDR's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, PickleSnout, Sassy, ~Leela~
Like Reply
(03-27-2021, 06:58 PM)PickleSnout Wrote:
Max Wrote:Pattern Recognition

In psychology and cognitive neuroscience, pattern recognition describes cognitive process that matches information from a stimulus with information retrieved from memory.[1]

Pattern recognition occurs when information from the environment is received and entered into short-term memory, causing automatic activation of a specific content of long-term memory. An early example of this is learning the alphabet in order. When a carer repeats ‘A, B, C’ multiple times to a child, utilizing the pattern recognition, the child says ‘C’ after he/she hears ‘A, B’ in order. Recognizing patterns allows us to predict and expect what is coming. The process of pattern recognition involves matching the information received with the information already stored in the brain. Making the connection between memories and information perceived is a step of pattern recognition called identification. Pattern recognition requires repetition of experience. Semantic memory, which is used implicitly and subconsciously is the main type of memory involved with recognition.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_re...sychology)

Apophenia

Apophenia (/æpoʊˈfiːniə/) is the tendency to perceive meaningful connections between unrelated things.[1] The term (German: Apophänie) was coined by psychiatrist Klaus Conrad in his 1958 publication on the beginning stages of schizophrenia.[2] He defined it as "unmotivated seeing of connections [accompanied by] a specific feeling of abnormal meaningfulness".[3][4] He described the early stages of delusional thought as self-referential, over-interpretations of actual sensory perceptions, as opposed to hallucinations.[1][5]

Apophenia has come to imply a human propensity to seek patterns in random information, such as gambling.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Pattern Recognition is a novel by science fiction writer William Gibson published in 2003. Set in August and September 2002, the story follows Cayce Pollard, a 32-year-old marketing consultant who has a psychological sensitivity to corporate symbols. The action takes place in London, Tokyo, and Moscow as Cayce judges the effectiveness of a proposed corporate symbol and is hired to seek the creators of film clips anonymously posted to the internet.

The novel's central theme involves the examination of the human desire to detect patterns or meaning and the risks of finding patterns in meaningless data
. Other themes include methods of interpretation of history, cultural familiarity with brand names, and tensions between art and commercialization. The September 11, 2001 attacks are used as a motif representing the transition to the new century. Critics identify influences in Pattern Recognition from Thomas Pynchon's postmodern detective story The Crying of Lot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_Re...on_(novel)

Is that where epiphany comes from?

I see epiphany as a "realization". I think, any stimulus, real or imagined, might bring that on.

But, I'm no shrink. The Psych School of "Behaviorists" might have a lot to say about it?

Edit:

I should add that, really smart people often see relationships between events or things that others would miss. Einstein defined the ability to do that, and the level at which it's done, as the true measure of intelligence. Others, unskilled or at a lower level of intelligence seeing this, without an accompanying proof, might mistake this for Apophenia.

It's often why smart people have learned not to talk about things they know others wouldn't understand. That topic is addressed in "The Morning of the Magicians".

Half the population at Base Camp was clinically delusional.
-- John Krakauer 1996 Everest Expedition.

Apophenia is : “the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)”
[-] The following 1 user Likes Max's post:
  • PickleSnout
Like Reply
1. Self preservation

2. Women

3. Family...Babies

4. Friends you can count on one hand.

5. Being a man of fortitude to deliver and secure the above.
[-] The following 6 users Like Arkan_Ted's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, IDR, Max, PickleSnout, Sassy, ~Leela~
Like Reply
(03-27-2021, 07:06 PM)IDR Wrote: When I left my small town in central Idaho 22 years ago for the big city, my instinct changed. I went from a peaceful man to a man with eyes all around my head. I went on defense. Stayed that way for 21 years. My wife saw the change and she didn't like it. But we stuck it out. Made some jingle, and moved back home. Now I am still very defensive! The election did not help that nor the shit show we have going on now. 

I pray every day that I can feel peace again.
I know how you feel. I've been in physical fight or physical flight mode for the last 8 years of my life.
Im not really that smart, but I do know this:

Discontent is the secret door to significant and life-giving change. 

If one reads my 2nd post, they'll understand...much like you do.

And so...we continue to pray.... Heartflowers
[-] The following 3 users Like ~Leela~'s post:
  • IDR, PickleSnout, Sassy
Like Reply
(03-27-2021, 07:20 PM)Arkan_Ted Wrote: 1. Self preservation

2. Women

3. Family...Babies

4. Friends you can count on one hand.

5. Being a man of fortitude to deliver and secure the above.
That is one of the most honest and honorable things I've ever read along with IDR
[-] The following 4 users Like ~Leela~'s post:
  • FlyoverCountry, IDR, PickleSnout, Sassy
Like Reply
Most humans do not operate on instinct. Most operate using logic though some more than others. As far as intuition is concerned, not everyone possesses it. As a matter-of-fact, a limited amount of individuals actually do. That said, anyone can develop intuition, but it comes with a cost; many sleepless nights and at first, many unanswered questions. It will also take an entire lifetime to develop and that is why there are so few. Most will not put in the time required. There are zero shortcuts and even on the day of your death, you will still be a learning student!
☯ * Under the cover of darkness and the silence thereof, I am able to accomplish some of my greatest discoveries of those things hidden. However, those things that hide by the light and noise of the day are far less attainable. Why? Because the light and the noise is a distraction! =cm= ✡

☯ * Thoughts, Feelings, Emotions and Imagination = Miracles! =cm= ✡

☯ * Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3 kjv ✡
[-] The following 4 users Like =cm='s post:
  • Arkan_Ted, PickleSnout, Sassy, ~Leela~
Like Reply
(03-27-2021, 07:30 PM)=cm= Wrote: Most humans do not operate on instinct. Most operate using logic though some more than others. As far as intuition is concerned, not everyone possesses it. As a matter-of-fact, a limited amount of individuals actually do. That said, anyone can develop intuition, but it comes with a cost; many sleepless nights and at first, many unanswered questions. It will also take an entire lifetime to develop and that is why there are so few. Most will not put in the time required. There are zero shortcuts and even on the day of your death, you will still be a learning student!
I guess I'm a hybrid then because I've been living on both. In an extremely hightened state of awareness...not just of my own but for my surroundings..
 I can Tell you who want on your side when  SHTF...a cross breed between extreme instinct and intuition.

There's some hinky stuff going on and I worry for those who don't hone either of these God given abilities.

Thanks CM...you're always a treasure trove of knowledge
[-] The following 4 users Like ~Leela~'s post:
  • =cm=, IDR, PickleSnout, Sassy
Like Reply
(03-27-2021, 07:08 PM)Max Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 06:58 PM)PickleSnout Wrote:
Max Wrote:Pattern Recognition

In psychology and cognitive neuroscience, pattern recognition describes cognitive process that matches information from a stimulus with information retrieved from memory.[1]

Pattern recognition occurs when information from the environment is received and entered into short-term memory, causing automatic activation of a specific content of long-term memory. An early example of this is learning the alphabet in order. When a carer repeats ‘A, B, C’ multiple times to a child, utilizing the pattern recognition, the child says ‘C’ after he/she hears ‘A, B’ in order. Recognizing patterns allows us to predict and expect what is coming. The process of pattern recognition involves matching the information received with the information already stored in the brain. Making the connection between memories and information perceived is a step of pattern recognition called identification. Pattern recognition requires repetition of experience. Semantic memory, which is used implicitly and subconsciously is the main type of memory involved with recognition.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_re...sychology)

Apophenia

Apophenia (/æpoʊˈfiːniə/) is the tendency to perceive meaningful connections between unrelated things.[1] The term (German: Apophänie) was coined by psychiatrist Klaus Conrad in his 1958 publication on the beginning stages of schizophrenia.[2] He defined it as "unmotivated seeing of connections [accompanied by] a specific feeling of abnormal meaningfulness".[3][4] He described the early stages of delusional thought as self-referential, over-interpretations of actual sensory perceptions, as opposed to hallucinations.[1][5]

Apophenia has come to imply a human propensity to seek patterns in random information, such as gambling.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Pattern Recognition is a novel by science fiction writer William Gibson published in 2003. Set in August and September 2002, the story follows Cayce Pollard, a 32-year-old marketing consultant who has a psychological sensitivity to corporate symbols. The action takes place in London, Tokyo, and Moscow as Cayce judges the effectiveness of a proposed corporate symbol and is hired to seek the creators of film clips anonymously posted to the internet.

The novel's central theme involves the examination of the human desire to detect patterns or meaning and the risks of finding patterns in meaningless data
. Other themes include methods of interpretation of history, cultural familiarity with brand names, and tensions between art and commercialization. The September 11, 2001 attacks are used as a motif representing the transition to the new century. Critics identify influences in Pattern Recognition from Thomas Pynchon's postmodern detective story The Crying of Lot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_Re...on_(novel)

Is that where epiphany comes from?

I see epiphany as a "realization". I think, any stimulus, real or imagined, might bring that on.

But, I'm no shrink. The Psych School of "Behaviorists" might have a lot to say about it?

Edit:

I should add that, really smart people often see relationships between events or things that others would miss. Einstein defined the ability to do that, and the level at which it's done, as the true measure of intelligence. Others, unskilled or at a lower level of intelligence seeing this, without an accompanying proof, might mistake this for Apophenia.

It's often why smart people have learned not to talk about things they know others wouldn't understand.  That topic is addressed in "The Morning of the Magicians".
Would you catagorize yourself in the realm of high intelligence?
It's interesting you bring up 'Magicians'...

Max, do you consider yourself a wizard of some sort?

Daydream
[-] The following 1 user Likes ~Leela~'s post:
  • Max
Like Reply
(03-27-2021, 07:46 PM)~Leela~ Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 07:08 PM)Max Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 06:58 PM)PickleSnout Wrote: Is that where epiphany comes from?

Edit:

It's often why smart people have learned not to talk about things they know others wouldn't understand.  That topic is addressed in "The Morning of the Magicians".

Daydream

Chuckle

No, and No.

I don't believe in wizards, etc. And, I've stated many times, I'm not that bright. I've been tested, if you go for test stuff, and been told how smart I am.

But, I've known and worked with some really smart people. I am smart enough to recognize them if they talk enough or, I spend a reasonable amount of time around them.

Really smart people, who have a sense of humor and, are pranksters by nature, are the best entertainment I've had. Nothing compares.

[Image: z5cWSPg.jpg]

Le Matin des magiciens
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mornin..._Magicians

Half the population at Base Camp was clinically delusional.
-- John Krakauer 1996 Everest Expedition.

Apophenia is : “the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)”
[-] The following 3 users Like Max's post:
  • =cm=, IDR, ~Leela~
Like Reply
(03-27-2021, 08:31 PM)Max Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 07:46 PM)~Leela~ Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 07:08 PM)Max Wrote: I see epiphany as a "realization". I think, any stimulus, real or imagined, might bring that on.

Edit:

Daydream

Chuckle

No, and No.

I don't believe in wizards, etc. And, I've stated many times, I'm not that bright. I've been tested, if you go for test stuff, and been told how smart I am.

But, I've known and worked with some really smart people. I am smart enough to recognize them if they talk enough or, I spend a reasonable amount of time around them.

Really smart people, who have a sense of humor and, are pranksters by nature, are the best entertainment I've had. Nothing compares.

[Image: z5cWSPg.jpg]

Le Matin des magiciens
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mornin..._Magicians

Come on, Max... you're being way too modest.
Give yourself some credit where credit is due!
You seem pretty darn smart and bright to me!
☯ * Under the cover of darkness and the silence thereof, I am able to accomplish some of my greatest discoveries of those things hidden. However, those things that hide by the light and noise of the day are far less attainable. Why? Because the light and the noise is a distraction! =cm= ✡

☯ * Thoughts, Feelings, Emotions and Imagination = Miracles! =cm= ✡

☯ * Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3 kjv ✡
Like Reply