Odesa, Ukraine 2021 - Ask me anything thread
So I am back. 

First things first about Ukraine - the Ukrainian people like it to be called Ukraine, and not "the Ukraine" - those of you from England know that we have "the fens", "the Cotswolds", "the Highlands" - these are regions, not nations. Ukraine is an independent country, so this is important.

There are also two spellings of Odesa - one s is Ukrainian, two s is Russian. Ukrainian is the official language of Ukraine, but here in Odesa, everyone speaks Russian. There are many Ukrainians who never learned Ukrainian! The Ukrainian language is closer to Polish than it is to Russian. They are quite different, and you need to spot the differences in the Cyrillic to know which you are reading!

Having said that, once you decipher the code, you find so many loan words that you'll know what you're looking at most of the time. It's fun, and has led me to a new hobby. I'll share one of those here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOyVB91cQk0

Odesa is a city of stray cats and titty bars where you can buy a $600 dollar pair of designer shoes one minute and put your foot into a hole in the pavement the next. It is a city of dichotomy - great wealth and great poverty side by side. Many Ukrainians think Odesa is their most beautiful city - I have not seen any others, so cannot comment, but you will see the architecture, the avenues of trees - yes it is a beautiful city, and right on the edge of the Black Sea.

Ukraine, itself, is a country of abundance - the produce here is nothing like you see in England. Giant carrots, enormous apples - everything grows here, it is a nation of good soil. It's also one of the few places which will still be a grow zone come the Grand Solar Minimum - when that bites, expect to see a fight over this place. Whoever controls the grow zones will control the people of the world.

I pray the people of Ukraine will keep control over their own land and choose who they wish to trade with. But as we've seen before, outside manipulation is a real threat to any nation. People like George Soros and his boss, Rothschild, are a threat, as are many others.
[-] The following 16 users Like Rose's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Capslock, Cedar, Danfromthehills, Elric, FlyoverCountry, HomelessPatriot, Kamchatka, Karl, Librarian, Oldcynic, Rexel, Sami aka Roxi, Terpentin, Troller Durden
Like Reply
I wonder what the tittie bars charge, when Romania went EU member, the prices skyrocketed....

Daydream Chuckle
[-] The following 5 users Like Troller Durden's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Cedar, Kamchatka, Rose
Like Reply
Sounds like the perfect place for me .......I like cats and eastern European women.....
[-] The following 5 users Like Troller Durden's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Cedar, Kamchatka, Rose
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 07:38 AM)Troller Durden Wrote: I wonder what the tittie bars charge, when Romania went EU member, the prices skyrocketed....

Daydream  Chuckle
I don't think I know who to ask... thankfully! Lol!
[-] The following 5 users Like Rose's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Cedar, Kamchatka, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 07:40 AM)Troller Durden Wrote: Sounds like the perfect place for me .......I like cats and eastern European women.....
You have these three:

Красотка - beautiful young woman (called girls here)

Девушка - woman (the word means girl, but an adult girl). It also means girlfriend.

женщина - woman (what I get called because I have grey hair, Grrr!)
[-] The following 8 users Like Rose's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Cedar, Commandante_Frio, Elric, Kamchatka, Sami aka Roxi, Troller Durden
Like Reply
FYI,

When I first saw your thread I knew something was not correct, then I realized you were in the Ukraine.

I live not to far from Odesa TEXAS and so for a second I thought you were talking about two places the Ukraine and Texas. LOL

I needed another cup of Coffee to finish waking up!

Thought you might like the humorous side of that. I thought there was one anyway! Chuckle
[-] The following 7 users Like Apache54's post:
  • Cedar, Commandante_Frio, ELIAKIM, Elric, Kamchatka, Rose, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 10:08 AM)Apache54 Wrote: FYI,

When I first saw your thread I knew something was not correct, then I realized you were in the Ukraine. 

I live not to far from Odesa TEXAS and so for a second I thought you were talking about two places the Ukraine and Texas.  LOL

Thought you might like the humorous side of that.  I thought there was one anyway!  Chuckle
I'll fess up. I did too.
[-] The following 6 users Like Arkan_Ted's post:
  • Apache54, Cedar, Elric, Kamchatka, Rose, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply

I live not to far from Odesa TEXAS and so for a second I thought you were talking about two places the Ukraine and Texas.  LOL

Thought you might like the humorous side of that.  I thought there was one anyway!  Chuckle
And I thought I'd been so careful! :D

Heartflowers
[-] The following 4 users Like Rose's post:
  • Apache54, Cedar, Kamchatka, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 10:48 AM)Rose Wrote:

And I thought I'd been so careful! :D

Heartflowers

YOU WERE! I am just to used to hearing Odesa TX. that and not enough caffeine yet, and In a hurry, etc. etc. it was me! Chuckle
[-] The following 4 users Like Apache54's post:
  • Cedar, Kamchatka, Rose, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
Piccies time!

Ok, so in order, the first is the view from my apartment (I'm only renting this for a week - hoping to find something longer term a.s.a.p.) Then it continues showing the stairs as I go out of the building, and finally the outside. These buildings are so grand - such an amazing place, it's amazing that these buildings survived the communist era. Having said that, I have no idea how old they actually are.

[Image: IMAG0592.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0594.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0595.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0596.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0598.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0600.jpg]

The walls in the stairwell are all fake stone - they are painted and polished to look like stone. But the stairs and floors are genuine grey and black marble. This building is in pretty good condition. From renovations I've seen nearby these are all built of stone blocks - thick walls, solid floors.
[-] The following 14 users Like Rose's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Capslock, Cedar, Elric, FlyoverCountry, Heir, Kamchatka, Nightstalker2.0, Oldcynic, Sami aka Roxi, Scuffalufacus, Terpentin, Troller Durden
Like Reply