Odesa, Ukraine 2021 - Ask me anything thread
Good Friday today for the Eastern church. 

Some people embraced big pharma to change nature whereas I listened to Jesus and embraced nature to improve the change. The heavenly Father said, "This is my daughter in whom I am well pleased". 18.1.2020. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ELIAKIM's post:
  • Cedar
Like Reply
(04-29-2021, 09:32 AM)Rose Wrote: I love this city! And as the weather gets warmer and warmer, the trees and flowers are beginning to burst forth. This is not a gentle spring, but seems more like a sprint start from cold, frost-dulled foliage and stems to a riot of vibrant green and flower buds in the Chestnuts which line some of the streets. I'm sure I will take many pictures as this gets going, but today I have a couple of things I wanted to share.

For some unknown reason, the modern parts of the pavements in some parts of the city are paved with cobbles which seem to have Labradorite inclusions in them. As I walk down the street, I can see these stunning flashes of blue amongst the grey stone blocks. When it rains, you can see them more. Can you imagine @ELIAKIM walking down these streets on a rainy day, the sun shining, and a rainbow overhead, and rainbows under your feet? I thought you might enjoy that image. Here's a picture I took on a rainy yet dull day - you can just see some flashes of blue, but the camera doesn't do it justice. Honestly though, it's hard enough being a foreigner in any city without being the weirdo photographing the pavement! Lol. I will try though, because it's really special.

Now yesterday on my wanderings I came across this little arcade. I stepped inside just to be nosy, and oh my! How beautiful is this??? @Sassy I think you might enjoy seeing this. You can walk through to the corner, and then turn and walk out to the other street. It is gorgeous and full of special little shops. There's one there which seems to sell nothing but paintings and amber items. I must go back and look again.

[Image: IMAG0650.jpg]

Little arcade??    Chuckle 

I love it. It reminds me of a building like this up on the square in a city near me called Asheville. You walk through it and all kinds of small unique shops in it.  Heartflowers  It's called the Grove Arcade in Asheville, NC.  If you google it and look at images it could almost be the same place. 

By the way, I could see the little flecks of blue in your first picture of the stones. I thought how pretty.  I wonder if that's what we call bluestone? 
I'm enjoying this thread @Rose.   I can tell you really enjoy it there.  Heartflowers  I hope you can post more pictures as you can.
[Image: w6haJ09.png]Adopt a Kruger. Ask DaJavoo!

Search Q posts-  https://qagg.news/    or    https://qanon.pub/index.html?

We never know how high we are, till we are called to rise. And then, if we are true to plan our statures touch the skies. Emily Dickinson
[-] The following 3 users Like Sassy's post:
  • Cedar, Rose, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
It's been a busy month - a whirl of viewings, meetings and a lot of thinking too!

I now have one apartment which will be purchased next week. I am buying a dacha too - just a small one about half an hour out of town.

The purchase of property here in Ukraine is rather different. Most transactions are made in cash (yes really), in US dollars (not Hryvnia).

I also have my residency card now - I'm so glad to have that now!

I will share some photos in the next few days.

The dacha has a moderate garden (not too much) and the house is good and solid. It was designed and built by one of the most famous architects in Odessa, so well-designed, and well built! It's filthy! The garden is overgrown! But it makes my fingers itch to get started on it. So looking forward to that. It has a few fruit trees - some have seen better days and need replacing. There's a perfect area at the side for a vegetable garden and it's not far from a large lake. Sandy loam soil, good balance of sun and shade. I'm so happy with it! :)
[-] The following 7 users Like Rose's post:
  • =42, Capslock, Cedar, ELIAKIM, Heir, Kamchatka, Sassy
Like Reply
Well, an update!

Last week was something else. On Tuesday morning we went to the bank to withdraw a large amount of cash, drive across town and give it to the seller, in the Notary's office. Yes, seriously!

To an ordinary person this all seems somewhat shady, doesn't it? Well that is how things are done here. Firstly the bank checks the provenance of the money - I had to show where it was from and prove a document trail to the source of the funding. The transaction was conducted with a bank representative present. I sat in the back room and watched as the lady seller counted the money by hand. She then went through every note with the UV bank note tester! There were three notes she didn't like the look of, so we swapped those for our spare ones.

But then things got even more Ukrainian (perhaps). The seller's husband didn't have the keys with him - you know I would expect to get the keys for my money, wouldn't you? So we agree to meet at the apartment, which is now mine, on paper.

We get here, and he gives me two sets of keys for the apartment, and then tries to SELL me the key for the safe! He wanted 100 dollars (I presume US, not UAH) for it. I said no, and got rather angry. After a bit of his daughter pleading with him, he handed it over, and we were all smiles. Then the daughter, who has the third set of keys, well my lawyer goes out with her and her Dad to get the last set. What happens? They get in an argument - apparently the Dad wanted me to pay some more money for something else which he'd done for the apartment building last year. This is after contracts have been exchanged! They almost got in a fight over it. The answer was still no.

So now I have my apartment. I managed to get a bed, fridge and washing machine - still more needed, but the basics for now!
[-] The following 5 users Like Rose's post:
  • =42, Cedar, ELIAKIM, Kamchatka, Sassy
Like Reply
What do you know about the Azov Special Operations Detachment, often known as Azov Detachment, Azov Regiment, or Azov Battalion, is a far-right Ukrainian National Guard unit, based in Mariupol in the Azov Sea coastal region. (as described by wiki)

I read they are funded by Biden & Co
[-] The following 5 users Like Librarian's post:
  • =42, Cedar, ELIAKIM, Rose, Sassy
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 02:34 PM)Librarian Wrote: What do you know about the Azov Special Operations Detachment, often known as Azov Detachment, Azov Regiment, or Azov Battalion, is a far-right Ukrainian National Guard unit, based in Mariupol in the Azov Sea coastal region. (as described by wiki)

I read they are funded by Biden & Co
That's a great question! I know nothing about them. I'm aware of the nationalists (God bless them!), but I don't know about Azov at all.
[-] The following 4 users Like Rose's post:
  • Cedar, Kamchatka, Librarian, Sassy
Like Reply
Today I am making jam - plum jam to be precise. I had a sentimental moment when I was faced with a stall selling fruits and vegetables (they are so abundant here now, I wish I knew better how to can!). I saw these large oval purple plums, and I was transported back to my childhood and the orchard we had where I grew up. We had some plums like that, they were either Monarchs or Czars - I don't think we ever knew which. These didn't quite turn out to be those, and they were very very ripe, so now I am making them into jam.

I have also, finally, discovered why people eat watermelons. I remember trying them in the UK (where we cannot grow them) and they had no flavour. Here they are sweet and fresh and juicy! What a revelation!

The weather here continues to be consistently hot - mostly around 30 C (which for an Englishwoman is far too hot!). But I will get used to it (just as I have very much got used to having air conditioning! Lol).
[-] The following 6 users Like Rose's post:
  • =42, Cedar, ELIAKIM, Heir, Kamchatka, Troller Durden
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 11:03 AM)Rose Wrote: Today I am making jam - plum jam to be precise. I had a sentimental moment when I was faced with a stall selling fruits and vegetables (they are so abundant here now, I wish I knew better how to can!). I saw these large oval purple plums, and I was transported back to my childhood and the orchard we had where I grew up. We had some plums like that, they were either Monarchs or Czars - I don't think we ever knew which. These didn't quite turn out to be those, and they were very very ripe, so now I am making them into jam.

I have also, finally, discovered why people eat watermelons. I remember trying them in the UK (where we cannot grow them) and they had no flavour. Here they are sweet and fresh and juicy! What a revelation!

The weather here continues to be consistently hot - mostly around 30 C (which for an Englishwoman is far too hot!). But I will get used to it (just as I have very much got used to having air conditioning! Lol).
You can freeze a red plum compote, I like it on ice cream or cheesecake. I prefer my red plums cooked, red plums are for eyesight. 

Heartflowers
Some people embraced big pharma to change nature whereas I listened to Jesus and embraced nature to improve the change. The heavenly Father said, "This is my daughter in whom I am well pleased". 18.1.2020. 
[-] The following 3 users Like ELIAKIM's post:
  • Cedar, Kamchatka, Rose
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 01:05 PM)ELIAKIM Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 11:03 AM)Rose Wrote: Today I am making jam - plum jam to be precise. I had a sentimental moment when I was faced with a stall selling fruits and vegetables (they are so abundant here now, I wish I knew better how to can!). I saw these large oval purple plums, and I was transported back to my childhood and the orchard we had where I grew up. We had some plums like that, they were either Monarchs or Czars - I don't think we ever knew which. These didn't quite turn out to be those, and they were very very ripe, so now I am making them into jam.

You can freeze a red plum compote, I like it on ice cream or cheesecake. I prefer my red plums cooked, red plums are for eyesight. 

Heartflowers
I'm thinking of buying a larger amount and freezing them whole - then you can stew them or make jam later. Mum used to do that - but it's a good idea to count them into the pan so that you count the stones before you eat it! :)

I made two jars of jam (only 1kg fruit) and yes they were definitely better cooked than fresh. :)
[-] The following 4 users Like Rose's post:
  • Cedar, ELIAKIM, Kamchatka, Sassy
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/gnWY8CwFuzI

[Image: 3FTRPrR.png][Image: on1tkoS.png]
https://web.archive.org/web/201310032204...gacy.info/
Celebrating Over 30 Years as a " Designated Paper Terrorist "
[-] The following 3 users Like Heir's post:
  • Cedar, Rose, Sassy
Like Reply