Quitting Smoking
Lightbulb 
...is fucking hard.

But I found something that is helping reduce the amount and hopefully I will be able to quit eventually. 

This does nothing for the nicotine addiction itself, but if you know it is largely a habit and if you happen to be one who bites the butt...  Chuckle

I just got these necklaces that look like a crystal, but it is made of silicone.

You bite it.  It has little ridges on a couple sides to keep it interesting and give you variations...

For me it seems to be working, as I skipped several smokes today just by biting that thing.   I guess it is sort of an adult pacifier but I don't give 2 shits what it looks like if I can get my soul
back from cigarettes.

It was kind of a sideways discovery...

This has been a weird month.    I realized for the second time in 10 yrs, but for the first time for sure, that I am a high functioning autist, not just a weird, but nice, but sometimes an asshole, but smart, but seemingly antisocial narcissistic, but philosphical and justice seeking weirdo, etc...   And I also realized that that caused a lot of fucked up stuff in my childhood with parents, teachers, and peers.  Nobody knew about autism back then so I can't really blame them for what they did to me and what they thought I was doing... but it was all upside down and very traumatic and unfair and I am really sad for all the other people who I am finding that went through the same things.   It's horrifying but surprisingly liberating to finally see everything with the missing piece filled in.  Among a million other things the biting as a way to deal with overstimulation was something I realized I was doing while smoking and probably at least half of the addiction. So if I can quit, that will be at least one huge benefit to knowing and accepting it.  I haven't gotten a clinical diagnosis, but I have done enough self tests and research and analysis that I just know.

Unfortunately the only way I finally figured it out was from having a complete autistic/trauma meltdown upon suddenly facing a divorce I never saw coming.  Well, I knew it wasn't going well, but I had never let myself see what that meant. I also never really knew what a narcissist was.  We think we do, but there is so much more to it and such subtle signs that usually only 1 person in their life gets to see.  I lived my whole life thinking that my dad was a narcissist, but it turns out it was my mom.   And then my wife.   I think my dad is like me and on the spectrum.   It makes so many things make so much more sense.   A narcissist woman will destroy a HFA.  Sometimes slow, sometimes fast, but it is inevitable.  And sometimes they actually don't know what they are doing.... and sometimes the autist gets the blame for being the bad guy.. I can't imagine how many guys are dead or in jail from the wrong woman getting their fangs into them and them not understanding what was happening.  

It wrecked me.  That's why I haven't been on here much.  I did stupidly start a thread at gulp about it at the beginning.   A lot has changed since then.

I don't know why I am posting this stuff publicly but I guess its because I think it could help someone else.  I have learned so much about autism, trauma and abuse, narcissistic relationships, and myself it is crazy.   I think I experienced what is referred to as "soul death" because my whole life is being changed from the inside out.  It's not magic and it's not permanent, but it is a chance to get back to the person we were before we got lost in the world.  The topic deserves a thread of its own and I might do that.

Most of the advice you find out there for people in my situation is to run like hell and never look back...  but I am a sucker for punishment and a romantic at heart.  I'm trying to work things out and give her a chance to reclaim her own soul from whatever accumulation of misunderstandings and mistakes has trapped it in an illusion...  I'm also ready to face that I was the one living the illusion and she was never really present all along.  It's pretty scary, let me tell you, to realize you know nothing about the person you have spent 26 years with and exposed your whole life and dreams to.

But it is also a second chance if you know how to look at it.

I'm just a fool who believes in love.  Even when it doesn't believe in me.

If she can't see that...  I deserver better anyways.

I may have gone off topic with this one.  Good luck, smokers.
Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies. 
[-] The following 13 users Like DeadpoolLovesYou's post:
  • Aquarius, DaJavoo, Danfromthehills, Dough Dude, ELIAKIM, Elric, Heir, Hot Nickles, JB1, K1ll_R06U3, phxsparks, Sami aka Roxi, T-Dub
Like Reply
Nothing like a good ol life altering experience to make you quit smoking. Best way is cold turkey.

I quit suddenly on August 9th of last year after developing atrial fibrillation. Havent touched one since. Never really had any withdrawl symptoms and dont even think about it anymore. 

Good luck on your quest dude. I would be a bad advice giver all things romantic, as Im a 38 year old single guy who has never been married and has no kids. Commitment issues is what some people would call it.  Chuckle

The quitting smoking thing gets easier tho, the less you smoke the better youll feel and so forth.  Heartflowers
自由が非合法化されると、無法者だけが自由のままになります : フセイン・フェイタル
[-] The following 6 users Like JB1's post:
  • ELIAKIM, Elric, FlyoverCountry, Hot Nickles, K1ll_R06U3, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
I smoke. But having been in the military, you can't smoke on a military aircraft or in any military facilities.
I have gone up to a month of not smoking because I "Can't".
If I get to Jonesing for a smoke, I simply do some sunflower seeds in the shell. It works.....
Gunpowder smoke behind the Dogwood trees
[-] The following 2 users Like Grendelmort's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 11:05 PM)DeadpoolLovesYou Wrote: ...is fucking hard.

But I found something that is helping reduce the amount and hopefully I will be able to quit eventually. 

This does nothing for the nicotine addiction itself, but if you know it is largely a habit and if you happen to be one who bites the butt...  Chuckle

I just got these necklaces that look like a crystal, but it is made of silicone.

You bite it.  It has little ridges on a couple sides to keep it interesting and give you variations...

For me it seems to be working, as I skipped several smokes today just by biting that thing.   I guess it is sort of an adult pacifier but I don't give 2 shits what it looks like if I can get my soul
back from cigarettes.

It was kind of a sideways discovery...

This has been a weird month.    I realized for the second time in 10 yrs, but for the first time for sure, that I am a high functioning autist, not just a weird, but nice, but sometimes an asshole, but smart, but seemingly antisocial narcissistic, but philosphical and justice seeking weirdo, etc...   And I also realized that that caused a lot of fucked up stuff in my childhood with parents, teachers, and peers.  Nobody knew about autism back then so I can't really blame them for what they did to me and what they thought I was doing... but it was all upside down and very traumatic and unfair and I am really sad for all the other people who I am finding that went through the same things.   It's horrifying but surprisingly liberating to finally see everything with the missing piece filled in.  Among a million other things the biting as a way to deal with overstimulation was something I realized I was doing while smoking and probably at least half of the addiction. So if I can quit, that will be at least one huge benefit to knowing and accepting it.  I haven't gotten a clinical diagnosis, but I have done enough self tests and research and analysis that I just know.

Unfortunately the only way I finally figured it out was from having a complete autistic/trauma meltdown upon suddenly facing a divorce I never saw coming.  Well, I knew it wasn't going well, but I had never let myself see what that meant. I also never really knew what a narcissist was.  We think we do, but there is so much more to it and such subtle signs that usually only 1 person in their life gets to see.  I lived my whole life thinking that my dad was a narcissist, but it turns out it was my mom.   And then my wife.   I think my dad is like me and on the spectrum.   It makes so many things make so much more sense.   A narcissist woman will destroy a HFA.  Sometimes slow, sometimes fast, but it is inevitable.  And sometimes they actually don't know what they are doing.... and sometimes the autist gets the blame for being the bad guy.. I can't imagine how many guys are dead or in jail from the wrong woman getting their fangs into them and them not understanding what was happening.  

It wrecked me.  That's why I haven't been on here much.  I did stupidly start a thread at gulp about it at the beginning.   A lot has changed since then.

I don't know why I am posting this stuff publicly but I guess its because I think it could help someone else.  I have learned so much about autism, trauma and abuse, narcissistic relationships, and myself it is crazy.   I think I experienced what is referred to as "soul death" because my whole life is being changed from the inside out.  It's not magic and it's not permanent, but it is a chance to get back to the person we were before we got lost in the world.  The topic deserves a thread of its own and I might do that.

Most of the advice you find out there for people in my situation is to run like hell and never look back...  but I am a sucker for punishment and a romantic at heart.  I'm trying to work things out and give her a chance to reclaim her own soul from whatever accumulation of misunderstandings and mistakes has trapped it in an illusion...  I'm also ready to face that I was the one living the illusion and she was never really present all along.  It's pretty scary, let me tell you, to realize you know nothing about the person you have spent 26 years with and exposed your whole life and dreams to.

But it is also a second chance if you know how to look at it.

I'm just a fool who believes in love.  Even when it doesn't believe in me.

If she can't see that...  I deserver better anyways.

I may have gone off topic with this one.  Good luck, smokers.
So many things you shared that I relate to. 
There's a few things that have made me wonder if I'm borderline. As a kid I took things very literally.
For example; when told to "Hop in the car" by my father, I clearly remember thinking "Why would I 'hop' in the car like an idiot?" 

It caused me a lot of strife through misunderstandings. It wasn't helpful that my father was a violent authoritarian who expected me to be a mind reader. 

Went through something similar with my sons mother [Who I call Bitch for convenience] I tried so hard for my sons sake to at least have a civil relationship but it got to a point where it was a choice between that at the cost of my own integrity. 
In the end I would only communicate with Bitch in writing because narcissists don't ever stop, no matter how hard one tries. 
It was such a relief once I realised that. 

The most important thing is to not hold onto any hate. Bitch was just being herself. 
Like when the Frog asked "Why?" Scorpion replied with a shrug "I am what I am." 
Bitches be crazy.  

Cigarettes. Every quit attempt was white-knuckle torture. 
Ever since I was a kid I used cigarettes to treat stress and depression. The habit is so ingrained. 
The fact is that I enjoy smoking. It relaxes me and helps keep me calm.

Over ten years ago I switched to a pipe and have not had one cigarette since. 
Now I'm smoking way less and can go hours without and not even notice when otherwise occupied. 
When driving a truck I'm content to wait a few hours until I get to my destination to have a smoke. When I smoked ciggies I couldn't wait when the cravings struck "I said now dagnabit!"  Chuckle   

All the blends I smoke have no more than mild nicotine so I see the pipe very much like an adult pacifier. 
A pipe occupies my hands even when it's not lit. 

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker. [Unlike cigarettes pipe tobacco has no added harmful chemicals] 

I love my pipes and pipe tobacco [which is so tasty compared to cigarettes] My only regret is not sticking with a pipe when I picked one up briefly when 15yo. 
Pipe tobacco generally has less nicotine than cigarettes - though there are blends that'll fix any craving - so there's a 3-5 day adjustment period but I found it easy from there. 
Switching to a pipe was so much easier than trying to quit because puffing on a pipe was better than nothing. 
A pipe is also an effective step towards complete cessation. 

Good luck with the cigarettes and on the ex issue.  Drinks
[-] The following 4 users Like Elric's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, Hot Nickles, K1ll_R06U3, PaigeofTimes
Like Reply
I'm too fucked up to read this thread and make any since out of it.

But..

I'm big time interested.

I also am having a wicked time trying to quit the cancer sticks.

When I am sober I will read this and follow it on your journey.

Until then, gonna go burn a Marlboro.
[-] The following 3 users Like -RG-'s post:
  • Elric, Hot Nickles, K1ll_R06U3
Like Reply
Cold turkey worked for me.
Two weeks of deep frowns and balled fists, and the nagging urge passed.
One month for the occasional urge, and then I was free.
It has been many years, and the occasional (less than 1 monthly) cigar or pipe does not trigger the cigarette habit. I would not say to take up pipe or cigar right away- you might replace one habit with another. What I mean to convey is you can still enjoy ocassional tobacco later in life, without the expensive health damaging ciggarette issues.

Good luck on your path.
Heartflowers
[-] The following 4 users Like PickleSnout's post:
  • -RG-, Hot Nickles, K1ll_R06U3, PaigeofTimes
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 02:35 AM)PickleSnout Wrote: Cold turkey worked for me.
It has been many years, and the occasional (less than 1 monthly) cigar or pipe does not trigger the cigarette habit. I would not say to take up pipe or cigar right away- you might replace one habit with another. What I mean to convey is you can still enjoy ocassional tobacco later in life, without the expensive health damaging ciggarette issues.

Good luck on your path.

I wish I could do vapes to kick this nasty 20 year habit.

Vapes make me hack, cough and regret I took a drag. People have told me maybe is the nicotine level.

Ha! bitch please, I burn 2 packs a day. 40 fucking smokes.

How is nicotine levels in a vape causing me issues?

It's supposed to be "healthier" so why the fuck does it cause me to hack up a lung every time I take a drag??
[-] The following 4 users Like -RG-'s post:
  • Elric, Hot Nickles, K1ll_R06U3, PickleSnout
Like Reply
-RG- Wrote:
PickleSnout Wrote:Cold turkey worked for me.

Good luck on your path.

Vapes make me hack, cough and regret I took a drag. People have told me maybe is the nicotine level.

Ha!  bitch please, I burn 2 packs a day.  40 fucking smokes. 

It's supposed to be "healthier" so why the fuck does it cause me to hack up a lung every time I take a drag??
Cause it is poison?
Your body is smarter than you think. You are not supposed to breathe oil smoke.
Heartflowers
[-] The following 4 users Like PickleSnout's post:
  • -RG-, Danno512, Hot Nickles, K1ll_R06U3
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 03:04 AM)-RG- Wrote:

Good luck on your path.

Vaping does the same to me. Cough my lungs out. I smoke rolled chop chop, home grown tobacco. Smoking 41 years. Generally pretty fit with no breathing issues. Filtered cancer sticks you have to stay away from. Loads more chemicals.
[Image: 7K9J3Sr.png][Image: TAOppkb.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like K1ll_R06U3's post:
  • Elric, Hot Nickles
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 06:43 AM)K1ll_R06U3 Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 03:04 AM)-RG- Wrote:

Good luck on your path.

Vaping does the same to me. Cough my lungs out. I smoke rolled chop chop, home grown tobacco. Smoking 41 years. Generally pretty fit with no breathing issues. Filtered cancer sticks you have to stay away from. Loads more chemicals.

It's that way at first for some people because your lungs are used to a certain kind of "smoke" and it's a little like when you first start smoking cigarettes it makes you cough. Maybe try a smaller vape to start. I've been vaping 10 years. I can breathe again, sing again. I don't wake up in the middle of the night coughing. I don't smell like smoke anymore. It's wonderful.

1dunno1 We make our own juice from the vegetable glycerin so we know what's in it. I don't trust the other stuff.
[Image: vcTnVkw.png] 
[-] The following 5 users Like sevenx's post:
  • Elric, FlyoverCountry, Hot Nickles, K1ll_R06U3, PickleSnout
Like Reply