People are always throwing useful shit away.....
Guy down the road couldn't get his zero turn mower started, so he came by the house for help.
Turns out it just needed a fuel system drain (water) a new fuel filter and new plugs.
He was happy as shit that I only charged him 75 bucks.
He then asked me if I wanted an old lawnmower.
I am always on the lookout for old shit to salvage for parts.
He gave me an old Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor circa 1970 ! This fucker even has a 3 point hydraulic lift on the rear. Hasn't been run in about 20 years and the tires are flat and dry rotted, but this thing is neat as hell !!
Will tear it apart and rebuild, just to see what it's about - apparently Sears only made a couple of thousand of these.
Gunpowder smoke behind the Dogwood trees
[-] The following 20 users Like Grendelmort's post:
  • Aquarius, Arkan_Ted, bigD111, Capnron, Dangerously Nameless, ELIAKIM, Elric, FlyoverCountry, John, MysticPizza, Oldcynic, phxsparks, PickleSnout, Rose, SlowLoris, SouthernBelle, T-Dub, Verity, Wing-ed, Wingsprint
Like Reply
Grendelmort Wrote:Guy down the road couldn't get his zero turn mower started, so he came by the house for help.
Turns out it just needed a fuel system drain (water) a new fuel filter and new plugs.
He gave me an old Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor circa 1970 ! This fucker even has a 3 point hydraulic lift on the rear. Hasn't been run in about 20 years and the tires are flat and dry rotted, but this thing is neat as hell !!
Will tear it apart and rebuild, just to see what it's about - apparently Sears only made a couple of thousand of these.

That is a score! Right on.
For people who know how to do things, life is easier.
Manna from heaven.

I have a craftsman 2200.
Heartflowers
[-] The following 9 users Like PickleSnout's post:
  • Aquarius, bigD111, Dangerously Nameless, ELIAKIM, FlyoverCountry, Grendelmort, MysticPizza, Verity, Wing-ed
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 08:24 PM)PickleSnout Wrote:
Grendelmort Wrote:Guy down the road couldn't get his zero turn mower started, so he came by the house for help.

That is a score! Right on.
For people who know how to do things, life is easier.
Manna from heaven.

I have a craftsman 2200.
You would not believe the people that leave their lawn equipment out in the weather and when it doesn't start the next season, they will go buy a new one.
Many push mowers and riding mowers have been given to me because of this. 
20-40 bucks in parts and a good cleaning they run like a champ.
I just gave 4 push mowers to the local animal shelter with full service for life (they just had to promise to keep them clean and store them out of the weather).
3 were Toros and 1 was a Murray.....
[-] The following 10 users Like Grendelmort's post:
  • Aquarius, bigD111, Dangerously Nameless, ELIAKIM, Elric, FlyoverCountry, Nirmanakaya, Oldcynic, PickleSnout, Verity
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 08:17 PM)Grendelmort Wrote: Guy down the road couldn't get his zero turn mower started, so he came by the house for help.
That would be a fun tear down, inspect, and rebuild.
[-] The following 5 users Like Arkan_Ted's post:
  • bigD111, ELIAKIM, Grendelmort, IDR, PickleSnout
Like Reply
I plan on doing things like this in my retirement days. Whenever that is.....
Isaiah 22:22 The key of the house of David I will lay on his shoulder; So he shall open, and no one shall shut; And he shall shut, and no one shall open.
[-] The following 9 users Like bigD111's post:
  • Aquarius, Arkan_Ted, ELIAKIM, Elric, IDR, Nirmanakaya, Oldcynic, PickleSnout, Verity
Like Reply
Driving around these parts you see everything from garden tractors to old cars, tractors etc. About a month ago I saw a old Ford 8N sitting out a ways from a barn. It had been there for a long time. I stopped in and asked the owner about it. He was about my age but acted like he was 99. He said well my son had an interest in it about 5 years ago. I might sell it though. He said it don't work anymore. 

I know if I offer him a 1000 bucks he will crap all over and sell it to me. Should I? Those things are hard to find. I know I can make it run again. 

I love those old tractors.
Doin' what I can with what I got

[Image: xHV5PUW.png]
[-] The following 8 users Like IDR's post:
  • Aquarius, bigD111, Dangerously Nameless, ELIAKIM, Elric, Oldcynic, PickleSnout, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 09:11 PM)bigD111 Wrote: I plan on doing things like this in my retirement days.  Whenever that is.....
Only you can determine when that step will be.
I did it in 2010. The first few years made me be frugal but I have never looked back and absolutely enjoy it.
Now that I have paid off most of my debt, life is good  Heartflowers
[-] The following 8 users Like Grendelmort's post:
  • Aquarius, bigD111, Dangerously Nameless, ELIAKIM, Heir, IDR, PickleSnout, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 09:11 PM)bigD111 Wrote: I plan on doing things like this in my retirement days.  Whenever that is.....
I like your Isaiah 22:22 tag. 
[-] The following 2 users Like Arkan_Ted's post:
  • bigD111, IDR
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 09:29 PM)IDR Wrote: Driving around these parts you see everything from garden tractors to old cars, tractors etc. About a month ago I saw a old Ford 8N sitting out a ways from a barn. It had been there for a long time. I stopped in and asked the owner about it. He was about my age but acted like he was 99. He said well my son had an interest in it about 5 years ago. I might sell it though. He said it don't work anymore. 

I know if I offer him a 1000 bucks he will crap all over and sell it to me. Should I? Those things are hard to find. I know I can make it run again. 

I love those old tractors.
Those old Ford 8N's are worth their weight in gold !
Well built and durable. One that has been sitting for 20 years will probably require about 10k to get it back to origional, maybe less if you do the work yourself and know what you are doing.
If I were offered an 8N for 1000 bucks (even in non running condition) I would jump on it in a heartbeat !
Even if it couldn't be repaired for some reason, there is probably 5k there if you part it out.
Go for it !
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 09:37 PM)Arkan_Ted Wrote:
I like your Isaiah 22:22 tag. 

I am descended from the House of David. Also born on the 22, so maybe? 1dunno1
Isaiah 22:22 The key of the house of David I will lay on his shoulder; So he shall open, and no one shall shut; And he shall shut, and no one shall open.
[-] The following 2 users Like bigD111's post:
  • Aquarius, Arkan_Ted
Like Reply