Have you ever cheated Death ?
I have - twice (that I know about) !
1st time was doing 55 on the interstate and the Semi in front of me was hauling those concrete road barriers when straps came loose and dropped 4 (that I remember) on the highway.
I hit the first one and remember the world spinning.
Then woke up in the hospital. Was banged and bruised and had a broken arm. A Georgia State Trooper saw it all.
I was driving a 1968 Ford Fairlane and the Trooper said my car flipped end over end 6 times and when it came to rest I crawled out and just sat there.
Second time was in Somalia in 1993.
We were in a serious firefight and some Somali's got around behind us and one of them fired an RPG that impacted the mud wall about 2 feet from my head - it was a dud...
Sometimes, you just have to believe in "Guardian Angels" !
Gunpowder smoke behind the Dogwood trees
[-] The following 11 users Like Grendelmort's post:
  • =42, bigD111, Capslock, Elric, FlyoverCountry, JB1, Oldcynic, phxsparks, Stone age man, T-Dub, Zireael
Like Reply
DANCENANNA 
Yes, we accidentally drove down the wrong street in East LA at 2 AM. 

We found ourselves caught in crossfire between two competing gangs.

The gang closest to us on the road told us to get the hell out of their.

We followed their instructions.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”

― Mark Twain
[-] The following 6 users Like phxsparks's post:
  • =42, bigD111, Grendelmort, Oldcynic, Zireael, ~Leela~
Like Reply
We were driving home from town one day, and a car was parked alongside the road, and I was driving 65. Inexplicably, the driver started to turn around just as I was driving by! I locked the brakes and felt I was in control at least, and could see the driver had red hair. At the last second, I released the brake and cranked the wheel to the right, then back to the left, and we went right around him! I was seeing us at least hitting the rear end, but we never touched! My wife said that angels protected us! Probably wouldn't have died, but it scared the crap out of us! We pulled over and checked on the baby in the back seat. The two idiots did their turn around and went towards town, obviously oblivious to what had happened!
Isaiah 22:22 The key of the house of David I will lay on his shoulder; So he shall open, and no one shall shut; And he shall shut, and no one shall open.
[-] The following 4 users Like bigD111's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, Oldcynic, Zireael, ~Leela~
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 11:27 PM)bigD111 Wrote: We were driving home from town one day, and a car was parked alongside the road, and I was driving 65.  Inexplicably, the driver started to turn around just as I was driving by!  I locked the brakes and felt I was in control at least, and could see the driver had red hair.  At the last second, I released the brake and cranked the wheel to the right, then back to the left, and we went right around him!  I was seeing us at least hitting the rear end, but we never touched!  My wife said that angels protected us!  Probably wouldn't have died, but it scared the crap out of us!  We pulled over and checked on the baby in the back seat.  The two idiots did their turn around and went towards town, obviously oblivious to what had happened!
Damn those redheads!!!! Glad you're ok!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ~Leela~'s post:
  • bigD111
Like Reply
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 10:08 PM)Grendelmort Wrote: I have - twice (that I know about) !
1st time was doing 55 on the interstate and the Semi in front of me was hauling those concrete road barriers when straps came loose and dropped 4 (that I remember) on the highway.
I hit the first one and remember the world spinning.
Then woke up in the hospital. Was banged and bruised and had a broken arm. A Georgia State Trooper saw it all.
I was driving a 1968 Ford Fairlane and the Trooper said my car flipped end over end 6 times and when it came to rest I crawled out and just sat there.
Second time was in Somalia in 1993.
We were in a serious firefight and some Somali's got around behind us and one of them fired an RPG that impacted the mud wall about 2 feet from my head - it was a dud...
Sometimes, you just have to believe in "Guardian Angels" !

Mogadishu, eh?

Clinton and Albright created Al-shabaab from that little carpet bombing raid of a shit show at the expense of our military.

Glad ya made it thru  Heartflowers
[-] The following 1 user Likes ~Leela~'s post:
  • bigD111
Like Reply
Drunk at 18.

Woke up at 3:00 AM on the interstate. looking out my front windshield, 3 feet from my face was the back of a tractor-trailer.

I had passed out, drifted out of my lane, and my car hit the truck and got caught under it's back end.

My car came loose, spun around and stopped on the shoulder of the highway. I did not have a scratch on me. Car front end was gone, the truck apparently did not realize what happened and did not stop.

Police did not believe my story, but they could not find any guard rails that I hit. They took me to my exit and I had to walk home from the highway.

If that truck had not been there, I would have hit the median at 60 mph. If the truck had stopped, I would probably have gotten a DUI.

My friend was with me, also unhurt. He still makes fun of the way I screamed.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
[-] The following 2 users Like San Azulito's post:
  • Oldcynic, Zireael
Like Reply
Obviously I have cheated death or I would not be here writing this.

Funny how the responses are based on "road/traffic" incidents.

I've been trying to escape this "prison planet" since I was a kid.  Some guardian angel always steps in and prevents my departure from Earth. 1dunno1
My mind, a field of battles, struggles for peace in a tight place.
[-] The following 2 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • Stone age man, Zireael
Like Reply
IT asked me for change for a $20 and I only gave it back $10.

Chuckle
[-] The following 1 user Likes counterintelligence's post:
  • Zireael
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 10:49 AM)Oldcynic Wrote: Obviously I have cheated death or I would not be here writing this.

Funny how the responses are based on "road/traffic" incidents.

I've been trying to escape this "prison planet" since I was a kid.  Some guardian angel always steps in and prevents my departure from Earth. 1dunno1

Hugs Heartflowers 

I never cheated death, but on more minor scale I did cheat fate back in 2015 when I accidently stabbed my left hand at full force with a 18'' long knife that we used to filet Atlantic salmons.

The blade entered through the upper right portion of my palm, the impact pushed my hand to the wall (working on a table) and the tip of the blade exited through the side of my pinky finger. I could see my bones, and my hand looked like ground beef, but the blade had miraculously wiggled his way around every important nerve and ligament. So much that the hospital's staff never believed my story and still to this day I can read on my medical record how I supposedly suffered two separate lacerations on that day. The operation required 28 stitches.

I left ergotherapy a year later with an almost fully functional, albeit slightly deformed pinkie, and a stronger left hand than ever due to all the exercises. 

My entourage still tell me how unlucky I am, but I can't help but feel blessed and thank God everyday. I can only imagine what losing your left hand does to an active 19 years old.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zireael's post:
  • Oldcynic
Like Reply