Excuse My Ignorance. How Can a 'Chopper Fly In Mars' Thin Atmosphere?
I've been seeing reports of NASA's "helicopter" flying on Mars (for the first time?).

How can this be possible if Mar's atmosphere is only about 1% as dense as our Earth's?

Conspiracy theorists have been doubting NASA' claims for decades and now this!

My analogy to a chopper flying in Mars' atmosphere is like us flapping our arms and flying in our atmosphere. Facepalm
My mind, a field of battles, struggles for peace in a tight place.
[-] The following 9 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • Capnron, Danfromthehills, Elric, FlyoverCountry, Hot Nickles, IDR, RedAuroras, Sassy, SlowLoris
Like Reply
Good question

[Image: sj45h51.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • Capnron, Danfromthehills, Hot Nickles, Oldcynic, Sassy
Like Reply
The rotor blades will need to be long, wide and very thin. Also, the rotations per second has to be faster and the tilt of the rotor blades is angled more.

Oddly enough, the air being pushed under the rotor blades will end up being a high pressure.
[-] The following 7 users Like Tolimar's post:
  • DaJavoo, Elric, Hot Nickles, mountain man, Oldcynic, Sassy, SkyCat
Like Reply
(04-23-2021, 08:21 AM)Tolimar Wrote: The rotor blades will need to be long, wide and very thin. Also, the rotations per second has to be faster and the tilt of the rotor blades is angled more.
So if I flap my arms real fast, like a hummingbird, I could fly here on Earth? Chuckle

Just kidding @Tolimar.

I read just as you suggest, multiple blades spinning at 2400 rpm.  Still find it difficult to believe.
My mind, a field of battles, struggles for peace in a tight place.
[-] The following 2 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • Hot Nickles, Sassy
Like Reply
The low Gravity (0.3~) on Mars is also a factor. It might make it easier for an object to go up.
[-] The following 7 users Like Tolimar's post:
  • DaJavoo, Hot Nickles, mountain man, Oldcynic, RedAuroras, Sassy, SkyCat
Like Reply
(04-23-2021, 08:07 AM)Oldcynic Wrote: I've been seeing reports of NASA's "helicopter" flying on Mars (for the first time?).

How can this be possible if Mar's atmosphere is only about 1% as dense as our Earth's?

Conspiracy theorists have been doubting NASA' claims for decades and now this!

My analogy to a chopper flying in Mars' atmosphere is like us flapping our arms and flying in our atmosphere. Facepalm

Same way a parachute slowed the descent in the Martian atmosphere?
[Image: jBnGhhZ.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like RedAuroras's post:
  • Arkan_Ted, Elric, Hot Nickles, IDR, Oldcynic, SlowLoris, Wing-ed
Like Reply
(04-23-2021, 08:31 AM)Tolimar Wrote: The low Gravity (0.3~) on Mars is also a factor. It might make it easier for an object to go up.

That crossed my mind as well. But this is more of a propulsion issue...something's needed to take advantage of that lower gravity. Like I said, there has to be enough atmosphere for a parachute to slow things down. And the "bouncy balloons" were a nice touch as well.

And just to be clear, I don't subscribe to the, "We never went to the moon" theory. I believe after Apollo 17(?), NASA was told, "OK...that's one hurdle down. Now let's get the Mars ball rolling."
[Image: jBnGhhZ.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like RedAuroras's post:
  • Hot Nickles, Oldcynic, Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
Not really an issue, it just means less control compared to being in Earth's atmosphere, not that that should be too important for its mission.  That-said, the craft should be more stable due to the speed of rotation of its blades.
Where there is imbalance I am the counterweight. Beware, for if you are a cause of imbalance you may not enjoy my presence.
[-] The following 3 users Like SkyCat's post:
  • Elric, Hot Nickles, Oldcynic
Like Reply
IT MEANS THEY HAVE BEEN LYING ABOUT THE ATMOSPHERE ON MARS !! Chuckle Ham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAtELtsn_Lc
1 of 7000 Reserved
[-] The following 5 users Like Wing-ed's post:
  • Capslock, Elric, Hot Nickles, Oldcynic, Sassy
Like Reply
Because as I've already stated in your other thread just this morning, "Things are NEVER what they seem!"

Just let me state here that with a 24-hour acclimation period, humans can breathe there on Mars.

So essentially that must mean there is already someone there for them to already have known this! Chuckle

That's the reason why there are human faces everywhere on Mars. Oh, I forgot, they've been hiding that as well!
☯ * Under the cover of darkness and the silence thereof, I am able to accomplish some of my greatest discoveries of those things hidden. However, those things that hide by the light and noise of the day are far less attainable. Why? Because the light and the noise is a distraction! =cm= ✡
[-] The following 4 users Like =cm='s post:
  • Elric, Hot Nickles, Oldcynic, Wing-ed
Like Reply