Poll: Do you suffer from tinnitus?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
14.29%
3 14.29%
Yes, mildly
33.33%
7 33.33%
Yes, moderately (it's annoying when I notice)
38.10%
8 38.10%
Yes, badly (it interferes with my daily life)
14.29%
3 14.29%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The tinnitus thread
There are two things going on for mother and I here.
Regular higher pitched whine, which I will call tinnitus.
Then there's an occasional piercing pitch, the tone is usually rising or falling, not steady.
It can be either, but it is usually lower than tinnitus and you can tell the source is moving. It starts suddenly and fades.
I think that one is military.
Heartflowers
[-] The following 4 users Like PickleSnout's post:
  • Apache54, ELIAKIM, FlyoverCountry, Rose
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 02:01 AM)Rose Wrote: This is the manoeuvre I tried first - definitely quietened things down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3TWHyvEBk

Thank you for this. It worked pretty good for me.  Heartflowers
Doin' what I can with what I got

[Image: xHV5PUW.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like IDR's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, Rose
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 11:01 AM)IDR Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 02:01 AM)Rose Wrote: This is the manoeuvre I tried first - definitely quietened things down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3TWHyvEBk

Thank you for this. It worked pretty good for me.  Heartflowers
Fantastic - it's so simple! I'm amazed by it.
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 10:39 AM)PickleSnout Wrote: There are two things going on for mother and I here.
Regular higher pitched whine, which I will call tinnitus.
Then there's an occasional piercing pitch, the tone is usually rising or falling, not steady.
It can be either, but it is usually lower than tinnitus and you can tell the source is moving. It starts suddenly and fades.
I think that one is military.
Interesting. I'm reminded of a woman I knew in England who had this clicking in her ears. Sounded to her like knitting needles. The weird thing was though you could hear it from outside! She'd tried getting help from the NHS but they'd drawn a blank, but HOW DOES SOMEONE'S EAR CLICK FROM INSIDE!? Surely you'd think someone would be able to see something or at least on a scan. Weird.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rose's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, PickleSnout
Like Reply
I’ll give these techniques a try this evening when all is quiet. Mine sounds like continuous white noise that gets louder if my blood pressure goes up. I played in rock bands for over 45 years. Since I play bass I was usually located near the drummer who makes a lot of noise. We didn’t start using in-ear monitors until about 12 years ago and that helped greatly with blocking most of the pounding. I was also able to tone down some of the high pitched guitar screaming with my personal mixer. Thanks for the advice.
[-] The following 3 users Like Saul Goode's post:
  • ELIAKIM, FlyoverCountry, Rose
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 11:40 AM)Saul Goode Wrote: I’ll give these techniques a try this evening when all is quiet. Mine sounds like continuous white noise that gets louder if my blood pressure goes up. I played in rock bands for over 45 years. Since I play bass I was usually located near the drummer who makes a lot of noise. We didn’t start using in-ear monitors until about 12 years ago and that helped greatly with blocking most of the pounding. I was also able to tone down some of the high pitched guitar screaming with my personal mixer. Thanks for the advice.
Let us all know how it goes - really curious to see what results folks get. 

Heartflowers
Like Reply
Mine is a ringing that changes tone.  It's horrible with people talking like at a restaurant or when there's music playing. 

I think snapping my fingers on my skull made it quieter  1dunno1

[Image: sj45h51.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • Lady Lionhill, Rose
Like Reply
When I'm shooting i use noise canceling headphones that have front and rear microphones.   I hear better with them on.  The last few years I've been looking at hearing aids.   They're expensive and insurance considers them cosmetic  Eyeroll

[Image: sj45h51.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • Gilded, rikster111, Rose
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 10:50 PM)FlyoverCountry Wrote: Mine is a ringing that changes tone.  It's horrible with people talking like at a restaurant or when there's music playing. 

I think snapping my fingers on my skull made it quieter  1dunno1
Yes, mine was like that - just two or three tones which changed enough to be noticeable. I would have put myself at the moderate level on the poll, but I was able to say mild due to the videos.  I can't hear a change in tone now.

I'm glad it helped you.

Heartflowers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rose's post:
  • FlyoverCountry
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 10:52 PM)FlyoverCountry Wrote: When I'm shooting i use noise canceling headphones that have front and rear microphones.   I hear better with them on.  The last few years I've been looking at hearing aids.   They're expensive and insurance considers them cosmetic  Eyeroll
If you have hearing loss, they are supposed to help improve tinnitus, so your insurance should cover them! How can a hearing aid be cosmetic?! Having said that I don't think the NHS in Britain supply hearing aids either - maybe for very rare cases. They are very expensive in the UK.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rose's post:
  • FlyoverCountry
Like Reply