Hurricane Thread 2021 season~ Update: Hurricane Pamela is Gone
Lightbulb 
Here we are again, Hurricane Season 2021 has begun!

Please share your tips and tricks for survival and minimal disruption to your lives.

[Image: FF1nU2w.jpg]

Atlantic hurricane season begins next week. Here's what AccuWeather forecasters predict
Kevin Byrne
Wed, May 26, 2021

"As AccuWeather's team of tropical weather experts, led by veteran meteorologist Dan Kottlowski, predicted in late March, the Atlantic once again popped to life ahead of schedule with the formation of Ana, the first named system of 2021. It's the seventh straight year that a named system has formed prior to the official June 1 start date. Ana arrived as a subtropical system early on Saturday, May 22, about 200 miles northeast of Bermuda. It transitioned into a tropical storm on May 23 and dissipated by Monday, May 24.

With one storm already in the books before Memorial Day, forecasters are expected to have their hands full once again this summer and fall following the historic 2020 season.

The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season was like no other. Not only did it produce 30 named storms, the most on record, but the United States suffered 12 direct strikes, smashing the previous record of nine from 1916. Forecasters had to turn to the rarely used Greek alphabet for only the second time in history to name tropical systems.

Kottlowski's team predicts that the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season will result in 16-20 named storms, including seven to 10 hurricanes. Of the storms projected to reach hurricane strength, three to five are predicted to become major hurricanes (Category 3 or higher storms that have maximum sustained winds of 111 mph or greater).

SNIP

In terms of the number of storms that will directly impact the mainland U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands in 2021, three to five are expected, according to Kottlowski's team. The annual average number of direct impacts is 3.5.

SNIP

Water temperatures in the Atlantic are already above normal

Troubling signs emerged in the western Atlantic back in the spring. According to Kottlowski, sea-surface temperatures (SSTs) were above normal in the northern and central Gulf of Mexico. Waters in much of the Caribbean and tropical Atlantic are also warmer than normal or around normal.

On March 29, water temperatures off Key West, Florida, were around 81.5 degrees Fahrenheit, which is about five degrees above normal. Yet, that remains a far cry from March 29, 2020, when the water temperature was 87.8 degrees in the area.

SNIP

'The time is now for you to plan'

While the tropical cyclone season is about to begin, there is still time for residents of hurricane-prone regions to formulate a hurricane safety plan and study up on evacuation routes and nearby shelters before the season escalates. The peak of the Atlantic season occurs from mid-August to the end of September.

It doesn't take a major hurricane to cause life-altering damage to a person's property. Even a slow-moving tropical storm has the potential to dump feet of rain and trigger life-threatening flooding."

https://news.yahoo.com/atlantic-hurrican...00461.html
[Image: 5Z2I3zs.jpg] [Image: QpzjD4Q.png]
Getting old is no problem. You just have to live long enough. * Groucho Marx
[-] The following 14 users Like SlowLoris's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, BABY GOD, Cedar, Debauchery, Elric, FlyoverCountry, Goldilocks, HomelessPatriot, jedijuju, Kraut, phxsparks, Sassy, Wingsprint
Like Reply
The Atlantic hurricane season "officially" runs from June 1- November 30, but the last six hurricane seasons have had a named storm before June 1.

TD: Tropical Depression – wind speed less than 39 MPH
TS: Tropical Storm – wind speed between 39 MPH and 73 MPH
H: Hurricane – wind speed between 74 MPH and 110 MPH
M: Major Hurricane – wind speed greater than 110 MPH

The list of names for the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season includes:

Ana  TD formed May 22, TS May 23, gone May 24

Bill    TD formed June 14 (am), TS June 14 (pm), gone June 15

Claudette  TD formed June 18, TS June 19, downgrade to TD June 19, TS June 21,

Danny  TD formed June 28, TS June 28, gone June 29

Elsa  TD formed June 30, TS July 1, H July 2, TS July 3, H July 6, TS July 7

Fred TD formed Aug 9, TS Aug 11, TD Aug 11, Tropical Wave Aug 14, TS Aug 15, landfall in FL Aug 16, TD Aug 17

Grace TD Aug 13, TS Aug 14, TD Aug 16, H Aug 18, dissipated Aug 21 over Mexico

Henri TD Aug16, TS Aug 16, H Aug 21, TS Aug 22, TD Aug 22

Ida Invest 99L Aug 25, TD Aug 26, TS Aug 26, H Aug 27, M Aug 29, TS Aug 30, TD Aug 31

Julian TS Aug 29, gone Aug 30

Kate TD Aug 29, TS Aug 30, TD Sep 1

Larry TD Aug 31, TS Sep 1, H Sep 2, M Sep 6, H Sep 9, post tropical storm Sep 11, gone Sep 13

Mindy TD Sep 7, TS Sep 8, TD Sep 9, gone Sep 10

Nicholas TS Sep 13, H Sep 14, TS Sep 14, TD Sep 14

Odette TS Sep 18, remnants in north Atlantic Sep 24

Peter TS Sep 19, gone Sep 22

Rose TD Sep 19, gone Sep 23

Sam TD#18 Sep 23, H Sep 24, M Sep 25, H Oct 4 (Post Tropical), gone Oct 6

Teresa TS Sep 25, Post Tropical Depression Sept 25, gone Sept 28

Victor Oct 1 TS, Oct 2 TD, gone Oct 4

Wanda
[-] The following 9 users Like SlowLoris's post:
  • Apache54, Arkan_Ted, Cedar, Debauchery, Elric, HomelessPatriot, phxsparks, Sassy, Wingsprint
Like Reply
You guys living in those areas stress me out. Please move to Indiana or somewhere here in the Midwest, we don't have hurricanes, large earthquakes or many tornadoes.
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
[-] The following 8 users Like Debauchery's post:
  • Cedar, Elric, HomelessPatriot, phxsparks, Rembrandt, Sassy, SlowLoris, Wingsprint
Like Reply
I guess it depends on where you are. I was raised with hurricanes and prepping for them. Tornadoes come out of nowhere and stressed me out when I lived in the Ohio valley.
Now I'm in central NC but we still get tropical storm weather.
She became the abyss~Nova Rockaeller
[-] The following 7 users Like MysticPizza's post:
  • Cedar, Debauchery, Elric, Kraut, phxsparks, Sassy, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 03:59 PM)MysticPizza Wrote: I guess it depends on where you are. I was raised with hurricanes and prepping for them. Tornadoes come out of nowhere and stressed me out when I lived in the Ohio valley.
Now I'm in central NC but we still get tropical storm weather.

I would rather live where there are hurricanes than where tornadoes can jump at you like a snake.

With technology as it is, we get plenty of warning with a hurricane. Although it's best to not tune in to the local weather casters. They tend to hyperventilate on air in anticipation of destruction. You need to stay calm, prepare to either bug in or out.
[-] The following 5 users Like SlowLoris's post:
  • Cedar, Debauchery, Elric, MysticPizza, Sassy
Like Reply
What with the high price of plywood. If you feel the need to cover your windows, I would suggest buying sheet metal roofing panels. I used those 2 years ago when a hurricane was threatening us. They are easy to store up under the house or in the rafters of the garage. Label them so you know what window they fit.
[-] The following 10 users Like SlowLoris's post:
  • Cedar, Danno512, Debauchery, Elric, FlyoverCountry, Goldilocks, Heir, jedijuju, MysticPizza, Sassy
Like Reply
Probable Tropical Cyclone #3 Claudette

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Potential
Tropical Cyclone Three, located over the north-central Gulf of
Mexico.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...90 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.

[Image: PHSSiDV.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like SlowLoris's post:
  • Cedar, Heir, HomelessPatriot, MysticPizza
Like Reply
The tropical storm warning is in effect from just east of Morgan City, Louisiana, to the Okaloosa/Walton County line in the Florida Panhandle. The New Orleans metropolitan area and Lake Pontchartrain are covered under the warning as well. A tropical storm warning goes into effect when tropical storm conditions are expected somewhere in the area within the next 36 hours. In this case, these conditions are expected within 12 hours.

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards issued a State of Emergency Declaration on Thursday ahead of any tropical storm conditions. The declaration of a State of Emergency allows the use of state resources to provide storm response aid.

AccuWeather forecasters say the system could further develop into a tropical depression or subtropical storm on Friday morning. Further organization is possible into Friday night, with the potential for the system to strengthen enough to be named Tropical Storm Claudette, the third named system of the young 2021 Atlantic hurricane season — which would take place about two months ahead of average in the basin.

The storm is expected to make landfall along the Gulf coast, most likely along the Louisiana coastline Friday night to early Saturday as a 1 on the AccuWeather RealImpact Scale™ for Hurricanes due primarily to the risk of flooding rainfall. Even though it isn’t expected to strengthen beyond tropical storm status - and potentially beyond subtropical storm status - before striking the United States, it will unleash torrential rainfall and lead to flooding, particularly in Louisiana and Mississippi, areas that have already endured flooding in recent weeks.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane...ast/964381

[Image: 5cHMtyu.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like SlowLoris's post:
  • Cedar, Sassy
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 03:22 PM)Debauchery Wrote: You guys living in those areas stress me out. Please move to Indiana or somewhere here in the Midwest, we don't have hurricanes, large earthquakes or many tornadoes.
Ma'am with all respect. You just need to nestle down here in the South. We weather all and cast to the side. Cheers
[-] The following 5 users Like Arkan_Ted's post:
  • Cedar, Debauchery, FlyoverCountry, Sassy, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 03:22 PM)Debauchery Wrote: You guys living in those areas stress me out. Please move to Indiana or somewhere here in the Midwest, we don't have hurricanes, large earthquakes or many tornadoes.
Lmao

[Image: sj45h51.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • Arkan_Ted, Cedar, Debauchery, Sassy, SlowLoris, Verity, Wingsprint
Like Reply