Mystery of family found deceased in Sierra Nat’l Forest
(09-02-2021, 11:06 AM)SouthernBelle Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 10:53 AM)Verity Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 10:48 AM)SouthernBelle Wrote: What's a "TBI"?

Also, I wonder if it was Arsenic?    Some places around us have a very high amount of it, and the water is not drinkable without intervention.
Traumatic Brain Injury. 

@Registeered also mentioned the possibility of arsenic (in spring water). Something I’d never heard of and know nothing about. I think it likely would have been mentioned as a possibility in this case by now i.e. by the investigating parties.

I find it hard to believe that it is taking so long to test their water.  We get complete results in under a week.

Scratchinghead
It’s already known there are toxic algal blooms in the area, just not in the waters close to the trail they were on. 

It’s the body toxicology reports that are taking so long, and this is normal.

Eta I see in the update I posted yesterday that one of the water tests did come up positive for bloom.
That’s My King! —Dr. S.M. Lockridge, Official https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE
[-] The following 6 users Like Verity's post:
  • ELIAKIM, IDR, nightcometh, Sami aka Roxi, SlowLoris, SouthernBelle
Like Reply
they searched for 12 hours and found them on the trail 1.5 miles from their truck, did they start the search at the donut shop instead of their truck?
look at the trail map here, it should have taken approx. 30-40 minutes to find them

they were new to the area and buying properties in the area, plural i.e. they were not poor and had a bladder of water with them that was tested
the husband was researching the trail according to investigators and he would have been apprised of the advisory for the algae blooms 
(already a month old advisory, maybe even a warning at the trailhead i would reckon)

they did not drink the water, or force it upon their one year old baby
plus the baby was probably in the papoose and would not have had access to the dog, nor been close enough if the dog did acquire the algae on its fur

they bought the wrong house or were not well received in their new community
[-] The following 6 users Like nightcometh's post:
  • crunchysuperman, IDR, Oldcynic, Sami aka Roxi, SlowLoris, Verity
Like Reply
(09-03-2021, 01:18 AM)nightcometh Wrote: they searched for 12 hours and found them on the trail 1.5 miles from their truck, did they start the search at the donut shop instead of their truck?
look at the trail map here, it should have taken approx. 30-40 minutes to find them

they were new to the area and buying properties in the area, plural i.e. they were not poor and had a bladder of water with them that was tested
the husband was researching the trail according to investigators and he would have been apprised of the advisory for the algae blooms 
(already a month old advisory, maybe even a warning at the trailhead i would reckon)

they did not drink the water, or force it upon their one year old baby
plus the baby was probably in the papoose and would not have had access to the dog, nor been close enough if the dog did acquire the algae on its fur

they bought the wrong house or were not well received in their new community
I had not seen where they were buying more than one home. 

I suppose the searchers did not just charge straight ahead on the trail but were doing some bushwhacking along the way, looking for the party. 

From all accounts they were very well received in the new community and were very friendly to all. 

Apparently these algal blooms are not fatally toxic to people though not sure about babies. I could well see the dog licking the baby. 

The theories about other poisoned water e.g. groundwater are intriguing though I’ve only seen them mentioned here. 

Thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forum.
That’s My King! —Dr. S.M. Lockridge, Official https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE
[-] The following 4 users Like Verity's post:
  • nightcometh, Pure Rock Fury, Sami aka Roxi, Shore_Skeptic
Like Reply
(09-03-2021, 01:42 AM)Verity Wrote: I had not seen where they were buying more than one home. 

The family was from San Francisco but moved to Mariposa County during the pandemic and bought properties around the Sierra foothills community...
link

the trail map shows only two branches from the trail where their truck was, a 12 hour time frame strikes me as very odd

something smells here, but it could just be poor reporting
[-] The following 6 users Like nightcometh's post:
  • IDR, Sami aka Roxi, Sassy, Shore_Skeptic, SlowLoris, Verity
Like Reply
(09-03-2021, 03:12 AM)nightcometh Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 01:42 AM)Verity Wrote: I had not seen where they were buying more than one home. 

The family was from San Francisco but moved to Mariposa County during the pandemic and bought properties around the Sierra foothills community...
link

the trail map shows only two branches from the trail where their truck was, a 12 hour time frame strikes me as very odd

Nothing about it that we know so far makes any sense at all.
[-] The following 6 users Like Verity's post:
  • IDR, phxsparks, Pure Rock Fury, Sami aka Roxi, Sassy, SlowLoris
Like Reply
Not sure about this information. Saw a comment elsewhere that lightning was being looked at. As far as sources, only see it mentioned in this piece and one by the UK Sun.  1dunno1 Eta Well this is weird. I realized the piece below is undated so went to get the date of the Sun piece (the 9th). Now I see a number of MSM stories talking about the lightning possibility. So at least it’s a legitimate possibility.

https://moderncampground.com/usa/califor...lightning/

Family Mysteriously Found Dead On Hiking Trail May Have Been Killed By Lightning

Crews discovered Jonathan Gerrish (45), Ellen Chung (31), and Muji Gerrish (1 year) in the Sierra National Forest area known as Devil’s Gulch, on August 17, a report said.

Jonathan went for a day hike with his family on August 15.

Their nanny arrived at their home to care for their daughter. However, nobody answered the door. Friends became concerned.

A relative reported them missing on Monday. Authorities found their car close to the forest gate that same day.

The bodies of the victims were found days later, just two miles from their cars in an area without phone reception.

Oski, the family’s dog, was also killed at the scene.

Police said there were no signs of trauma and are now investigating possible lightning strikes in the Sierra National Forest area, a report said.

Lightning strikes are responsible for approximately 49 deaths per year in the US, and many more injuries.
According to the National Weather Service, only 10% of lightning strikes result in death by cardiac arrest.
  • IDR, Sami aka Roxi, SlowLoris, Wingsprint
Like Reply
I think the algae bloom poisoned the water.  I read somewhere that the toxicology report had not come in yet.

Wouldn't lightning leave burns?
[-] The following 4 users Like mountain man's post:
  • Sami aka Roxi, SouthernBelle, Verity, Wingsprint
Like Reply
(09-10-2021, 01:41 PM)mountain man Wrote: I think the algae bloom poisoned the water.  I read somewhere that the toxicology report had not come in yet.

Wouldn't lightning leave burns?
I was thinking that too but read in one of the stories that lightning doesn’t always leave burns. 

It seems unlikely that lightning would have killed all of them, but all of the few possibilities thus far seem very unlikely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Verity's post:
  • Sami aka Roxi
Like Reply
(09-03-2021, 03:53 AM)Verity Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 03:12 AM)nightcometh Wrote:

link

At this time it appears to be very mysterious. 1dunno1
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”

― Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like phxsparks's post:
  • Sami aka Roxi, Verity
Like Reply
(09-10-2021, 11:13 PM)phxsparks Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 03:53 AM)Verity Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 03:12 AM)nightcometh Wrote: The family was from San Francisco but moved to Mariposa County during the pandemic and bought properties around the Sierra foothills community...
link

At this time it appears to be very mysterious. 1dunno1
I was hoping some of the outdoorsy folks/hunters here might have some ideas but this one is a real head scratcher for all.
  • phxsparks, Pure Rock Fury, Sami aka Roxi, SlowLoris
Like Reply