STUDY: Average Person Will Watch 78,000 Hours Of TV...
Are they saying the average person is a Homer Simpson? Scratchinghead

I watch tv myself. Very little. I only watch life sports. Soccer and golf in particular. I oaccasionally watch WWE but I watch about 5 hours of tv weekly. A soccer match is around two hours.

LONDON — Television has become such a common part of all of our lives that most don’t even think about just how much time they spend staring at their TV screen. Of course, all of those hours are undoubtedly adding up, and a recent survey of 2,000 British adults finds that the average TV viewer will watch an astounding 78,705 hours of programming (movies, sports, news, etc) in their lifetime. That’s a whole lot of screen time that may have been better spent on more productive endeavors.
On a day-to-day basis, the average adult watches TV for three-and-a-half hours, amounting to 1,248 hours each year.
The survey, commissioned by LG Electronics, broke down those numbers even further and concluded that the average adult these days will watch 3,639 movies at home, and 31,507 episodes of TV during their lifespan. As far as different programs, the average person will watch 11,278 different TV series as well.
Additionally, it seems that deciding what to watch is a very common problem among modern families. The average household will have two arguments every week simply over what to watch. Sadly, more than half of the survey’s participants say their household would struggle to get by with only one television for everyone.

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-the-av...urs-of-tv/
Many things happen in life that make you wiser, gentler, smarter. Life is a good teacher.
[-] Liked by:
  • bigD111, K1ll_R06U3, Librarian, Nekro
Like Reply
Cripes when you put it into a lifetime total that sounds insane. Think of all the things a person could accomplish if they just cut their screen even time in half. 
I like a good show too, don't get me wrong. I'd say I average an hour or so a day.

Oh and @Ironhide, if you haven't watched AEW yet give it a try. That's some proper 'rasslin right there. 

SDM
"It is the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters.” - Stephen King
[-] Liked by:
  • bigD111, Librarian
Like Reply
there is a reason they call it the idiot box
- I choose to reject modern society and the false song of Globalism! -
[-] Liked by:
  • bigD111, Librarian, MysticPizza, Nekro
Like Reply
not this guy

I have not owned a TV since 2014
Saturn comes back around.
Lifts you up like a child or
Drags you down like a stone
[-] Liked by:
  • bigD111, Librarian, MysticPizza, StrongShallSurvive
Like Reply
Tv is often on, as I prefer it to radio for background noise.
Youtube, history or science documentaries, or practical skills.
Makes the day less lonely and enriches me while I work.

I could not stand the advertisement screen on Comcast. A full 1/3 of the screen covering the show I did want to watch, hawking thier new dumbass shows. Dropped them. Dish was good about that, no onscreen ads during a show, but advertisements were jarring. Ads often showed things I did not want in my brain. They were loud, violent, dirty, and too frequent! My show might be PG, but the commercial were not! I find radio ads just as obnoxious. Don't scream at me for window blinds or gutters. No I do not need a new car. Aunt Betty is not addicted to opioids, I have no Aunt Betty. Get out of my Brain!

The youtube answer has been working very well for me. If you put on a playlist, it will go for almost a week straight, with only tiny ads, or no ads at all. I fear they will become pay to play before long. I watch no mainstream shows, so that part does not bother me. I don't feel I am missing anything since I have no "favorite show".

Both youtube and netflix crap out with an autoplay option that stops playback if you do not respond every x hours, if you just choose a show or topic, and not a playlist.

The best:

Time team
Are you being served
The Red Green show
Royal insitute lectures
Abom79
This old Tony
Alec Steele
Torbjorn Åhman
My mechanics
Clickspring
Heartflowers
[-] Liked by:
  • bigD111, Debauchery, Librarian, MysticPizza
Like Reply
I watch tv mostly late at night. There isn't a thing I'm going to accomplish at 1am if I turn it off. It's part of my down time, that precious time when everyone is asleep and I don't have to serve anyone or work around the home. I turn on some Star Trek, maybe some Baywatch (don't judge me) or the great British baking show and that's my evening, not always though, I read often instead of watching the boob tube, I may listen to music, paint, or hang out here.

It's enjoyable in moderation. I have 2 kids out of 3 who almost never watch tv, they just don't have the interest and that's probably because they grew up watching us NOT watching tv during daytime hours, we always found other things to occupy our time.
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
[-] Liked by:
  • K1ll_R06U3, MysticPizza, PickleSnout
Like Reply
(12-04-2019, 10:52 PM)PickleSnout Wrote: Tv is often on, as I prefer it to radio for background noise.

I could not stand the advertisement screen on Comcast. A full 1/3 of the screen covering the show I did want to watch, hawking thier new dumbass shows. Dropped them. Dish was good about that, no onscreen ads during a show, but advertisements were jarring.  Ads often showed things I did not want in my brain. They were loud, violent, dirty, and too frequent! My show might be PG, but the commercial were not! I find radio ads just as obnoxious. Don't scream at me for window blinds or gutters. No I do not need a new car. Aunt Betty is not addicted to opioids, I have no Aunt Betty. Get out of my Brain!

The youtube answer has been working very well for me. If you put on a playlist, it will go for almost a week straight, with only tiny ads, or no ads at all. I fear they will become pay to play before long. I watch no mainstream shows, so that part does not bother me. I don't feel I am missing anything since I have no "favorite show".

Both youtube and netflix crap out with an autoplay option that stops playback if you do not respond every x hours, if you just choose a show or topic, and not a playlist.

The best:

Time team
Are you being served
The Red Green show
Royal insitute lectures
Abom79
This old Tony
Alec Steele
Torbjorn Åhman
My mechanics
Clickspring

Are you being served is one of the best. I watched that growing up.

I like a lot of the older tv shows from when I was a kid, things like in the heat of the night, a-team, hunter, magnum p.i., they were so different compared to the shows now. There wasn't an agenda, politics weren't involved, we didn't have to cater to snowflakes, it was all just good entertainment.
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
[-] Liked by:
  • MysticPizza, PickleSnout
Like Reply
(12-04-2019, 02:30 PM)Nekro Wrote: not this guy

I have not owned a TV since 2014
I've never owned one of my own. The only time a TV is in my house is if other humans live there too.
Even before the internet I could find a lot to do and I was more active then as well. I got to the point soon after 9/11 I could barely tolerate others having the damn thing on Ham
[Image: 0sKo4Oe.png]
[-] Liked by:
  • Debauchery, Librarian, Nekro, PickleSnout
Like Reply
(12-04-2019, 10:52 PM)PickleSnout Wrote: Tv is often on, as I prefer it to radio for background noise.

I could not stand the advertisement screen on Comcast. A full 1/3 of the screen covering the show I did want to watch, hawking thier new dumbass shows. Dropped them. Dish was good about that, no onscreen ads during a show, but advertisements were jarring.  Ads often showed things I did not want in my brain. They were loud, violent, dirty, and too frequent! My show might be PG, but the commercial were not! I find radio ads just as obnoxious. Don't scream at me for window blinds or gutters. No I do not need a new car. Aunt Betty is not addicted to opioids, I have no Aunt Betty. Get out of my Brain!

The best:

Time team
Are you being served
The Red Green show
Royal insitute lectures
Abom79
This old Tony
Alec Steele
Torbjorn Åhman
My mechanics
Clickspring
I found you tube premium solves the ad problem but then discovered MOST of the channels I watch get demonitized anyway Chuckle I have a lot of music playlists though and I hate an ad in the middle of a good jam so I consider it money well spent.
[-] Liked by:
  • PickleSnout
Like Reply
(12-04-2019, 11:02 PM)Debauchery Wrote: I watch tv mostly late at night. There isn't a thing I'm going to accomplish at 1am if I turn it off. It's part of my down time, that precious time when everyone is asleep and I don't have to serve anyone or work around the home. I turn on some Star Trek, maybe some Baywatch (don't judge me) or the great British baking show and that's my evening, not always though, I read often instead of watching the boob tube, I may listen to music, paint, or hang out here.

It's enjoyable in moderation. I have 2 kids out of 3 who almost never watch tv, they just don't have the interest and that's probably because they grew up watching us NOT watching tv during daytime hours, we always found other things to occupy our time.
My son is good at vegging out in front of the Tv,especially sports, but my daughter is like me. She can't even watch the news for the weather,pisses her off Chuckle Her boys only have one use for a TV. "Can I hook my game system up to this thing"? Lmao
Music was always more dominant in our house.
[-] Liked by:
  • Debauchery, K1ll_R06U3, PickleSnout
Like Reply