Permaculture - Alternative Farming - Natural Food
DANCENANNA 
So, here is the new natural food & farming thread. As it starts out much of my input will be a repeat of the "Broken American Food System" thread at our last haunt.

I want to be clear that I do not claim to be an expert on the subject in a practical sense, but I have been studying many aspects for several years. I did get my Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) from Oregon State University a few years ago, but up until now I've only applied it on the small backyard scale. My intention is to acquire some acreage to start a small "natural" farm.

My interest started on the subject through witnessing the growth of the local food movements aka Localvore, Farm to Fork, Integrity Food, Sustainable Food, Etc... and as a former chef, I saw an opportunity to get back into the food industry in way that I could be my own boss and enjoy a pleasant lifestyle.

I look forward to the input of others on the subject and hope I can expand my knowledge base.

For those here that might be less aware of why this topic should mean something to you, looking at our "normal" food system is a good place to start.
This video takes an interesting look at where our food comes from and a brief look at some alternatives. Kinda long at 1 hr. + but I find it entertaining. 

@John 
@"Looky"
[-] The following 9 users Like =42's post:
  • , Apache54, FlyoverCountry, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Max, Oldcynic, SickDaveMondo
Like Reply
Everything starts with healthy LIVING soil. It is surprising how new the science of soil biology is.

Another long video for an introduction to soil biology and agriculture.

[-] The following 6 users Like =42's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Max, Oldcynic
Like Reply
Great Idea for a thread. Heartflowers

You say start with good soil, Yep, that always a good thing.

COMPOST 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compost

At the simplest level, the process of composting requires making a heap of wet organic matter (also called green waste), such as leaves, grass, and food scraps, and waiting for the materials to break down into humus after a period of months. However, composting also can take place as a multi-step, closely monitored process with measured inputs of water, air, and carbon- and nitrogen-rich materials. The decomposition process is aided by shredding the plant matter, adding water and ensuring proper aeration by regularly turning the mixture when open piles or "windrows" are used. fungiearthworms and other detritivores further break up the material. Bacteria requiring oxygen to function (aerobic bacteria) and fungi manage the chemical process by converting the inputs into heat, carbon dioxide, and ammonium.

[Image: S24yKRh.jpg]

[Image: gdLcqJd.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Lil Bit's post:
  • , =42, John, Oldcynic
Like Reply
Starting to get near the time that one needs to order bee hives for delivery in the spring time.
If one is so inclined.
I am placing an order next week.
My new fruit trees will thank me as well as my veggies.
I intend to plant a shit load of wild flowers this year as well.
I already compost, but can rob the forest floor as need be for awsome soil.
 Also....
Time to start thinking about what kind of organic heirloom seeds to order.
Peace and Love! Heartflowers
[-] The following 7 users Like DRUMZ's post:
  • =42, FlyoverCountry, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic, SouthernBelle
(01-13-2020, 07:07 PM)DRUMZ Wrote: Starting to get near the time that one needs to order bee hives for delivery in the spring time.
If one is so inclined.
 Also....

Please also look into wild mason bees as they are supposed to be better pollinators.
- Atlas Shrugged: Now Non Fiction -
[-] The following 4 users Like John's post:
  • , Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-13-2020, 07:11 PM)John Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:07 PM)DRUMZ Wrote: Starting to get near the time that one needs to order bee hives for delivery in the spring time.
If one is so inclined.
 Also....

Please also look into wild mason bees as they are supposed to be better pollinators.
Ok, I will. Thanks!
But for now I am looking for best honey and wax producers.
Any ideia if the mason bees are good for that?
[-] The following 4 users Like DRUMZ's post:
  • John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic
(01-13-2020, 07:15 PM)DRUMZ Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:11 PM)John Wrote:
If one is so inclined.
 Also....

Ok, I will. Thanks!
But for now I am looking for best honey and wax producers.
Any ideia if the mason bees are good for that?

No. You are on the correct path for honey and wax. MBs are great for people who have fruit trees but you can’t harvest from them. You can make small shelters for them though.
- Atlas Shrugged: Now Non Fiction -
[-] The following 4 users Like John's post:
  • , Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-13-2020, 06:30 PM)Lil Bit Wrote: Great Idea for a thread. Heartflowers

You say start with good soil, Yep, that always a good thing.

COMPOST 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compost

At the simplest level, the process of composting requires making a heap of wet organic matter (also called green waste), such as leaves, grass, and food scraps, and waiting for the materials to break down into humus after a period of months. However, composting also can take place as a multi-step, closely monitored process with measured inputs of water, air, and carbon- and nitrogen-rich materials. The decomposition process is aided by shredding the plant matter, adding water and ensuring proper aeration by regularly turning the mixture when open piles or "windrows" are used. fungiearthworms and other detritivores further break up the material. Bacteria requiring oxygen to function (aerobic bacteria) and fungi manage the chemical process by converting the inputs into heat, carbon dioxide, and ammonium.

[Image: S24yKRh.jpg]

[Image: gdLcqJd.jpg]

Compost is a great way to recycle waste into fertility for gardens, etc... One of the tenets of permaculture is that anything whether it be plant, animal or infrastructure have multiple rolls or uses. Compost piles can be used with chickens (usually laying birds) to contribute to their diet and the birds also do some of the work of turning and aerating the compost piles. I have a pile in my yard and the chickens are all over it.

[-] The following 5 users Like =42's post:
  • , John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic
Like Reply
If one is so inclined.
 Also....

Keeping honey bees is great! Unfortunately my hive died at the end of its first year. Last year I was hoping to catch a swarm, but it didn't happen. I'm not planning to buy bees again until I relocate to acreage. 

There is definitely a learning curve to bee keeping and most people starting out tend to lose a hive, so don't be discouraged if that happens.
[-] The following 8 users Like =42's post:
  • , Debauchery, FlyoverCountry, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic, WNC
Like Reply
I've wanted a greenhouse for years. I have a place for one and after watching some videos of rocket mass heaters I think I could keep.it warm enough during the winter.I could also use a heat sink compost to supplement heat. 

The area I have gets full sun until mid day.  It doesn't seem like I have enough time to do much extra now and have days where I feel like shit.  Maybe a hobby greenhouse would be therapeutic. 

I could trench power to it but might use 12v solar for exhaust fans in the summer.   There's a habit for humanity store where people bring Left over construction materials or items from remodeled buildings and homes.   If I start collecting windows now I might get enough that I could frame one myself.

[Image: sj45h51.png]
[-] The following 9 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • , =42, Debauchery, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic, SouthernBelle, WNC
Like Reply