Permaculture - Alternative Farming - Natural Food
(01-13-2020, 09:35 PM)FlyoverCountry Wrote: I've wanted a greenhouse for years. I have a place for one and after watching some videos of rocket mass heaters I think I could keep.it warm enough during the winter.I could also use a heat sink compost to supplement heat. 

The area I have gets full sun until mid day.  It doesn't seem like I have enough time to do much extra now and have days where I feel like shit.  Maybe a hobby greenhouse would be therapeutic. 

I could trench power to it but might use 12v solar for exhaust fans in the summer.   There's a habit for humanity store where people bring Left over construction materials or items from remodeled buildings and homes.   If I start collecting windows now I might get enough that I could frame one myself.

Sounds like you have a plan.
[-] The following 3 users Like =42's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, John, Lil Bit
Like Reply
(01-13-2020, 07:56 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:07 PM)DRUMZ Wrote: Starting to get near the time that one needs to order bee hives for delivery in the spring time.
If one is so inclined.
I am placing an order next week.
My new fruit trees will thank me as well as my veggies.
I intend to plant a shit load of wild flowers this year as well.
I already compost, but can rob the forest floor as need be for awsome soil.
 Also....
Time to start thinking about what kind of organic heirloom seeds to order.
Peace and Love! Heartflowers

Keeping honey bees is great! Unfortunately my hive died at the end of its first year. Last year I was hoping to catch a swarm, but it didn't happen. I'm not planning to buy bees again until I relocate to acreage. 

There is definitely a learning curve to bee keeping and most people starting out tend to lose a hive, so don't be discouraged if that happens.

These guys are neighbors.  Great Bee resource!

oldsolbees.com
__________________________________________________________________________________

[Image: lzFChjG.jpg][Image: WGFeykg.png]

[-] The following 2 users Like SouthernBelle's post:
  • Lil Bit, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-13-2020, 09:45 PM)SouthernBelle Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:56 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:07 PM)DRUMZ Wrote: Starting to get near the time that one needs to order bee hives for delivery in the spring time.
If one is so inclined.
I am placing an order next week.
My new fruit trees will thank me as well as my veggies.
I intend to plant a shit load of wild flowers this year as well.
I already compost, but can rob the forest floor as need be for awsome soil.
 Also....
Time to start thinking about what kind of organic heirloom seeds to order.
Peace and Love! Heartflowers

Keeping honey bees is great! Unfortunately my hive died at the end of its first year. Last year I was hoping to catch a swarm, but it didn't happen. I'm not planning to buy bees again until I relocate to acreage. 

There is definitely a learning curve to bee keeping and most people starting out tend to lose a hive, so don't be discouraged if that happens.

These guys are neighbors.  Great Bee resource!

oldsolbees.com

Thanks for the link. I've been shopping property closer to your neck of the woods.
[-] The following 1 user Likes =42's post:
  • Lil Bit
Like Reply
I have worked for wild birds unlimited, and we sold mason bees, equipment and houses.
What I learned:

Mason bees are most active in spring, usually active 6-8 weeks, and stay dormant for most of their life cycle.
In spring, the larve hatch from the tubes/ holes.
They pollinate heavily so if you have an orchard, these are perfect, and they stay pretty close to home. It is important you have enough vegetative source for the amount of bees you purchase, or the bees will die off, preferring not to stray far afield. More is not better. This population self regulates to the food source.

The female bees find the nest site via scent, so you can mark the new home choice with pheremones to attract them. Provide nice clean options so they prefer it over your decking or soffits.

They lay eggs in order, 7 females and 3 males per tubule. It is important to change out the tubes or provide new shelter core wood every year, to prevent mites and fungus. When the tubes are sealed with mud, you can refridgerate them until next spring so you control the hatch date. If you refridgerate them make sure they stay just a bit damp. They can dehydrate and die.
Heartflowers
[-] The following 3 users Like PickleSnout's post:
  • Heir, Lil Bit, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-13-2020, 09:35 PM)FlyoverCountry Wrote: I've wanted a greenhouse for years. I have a place for one and after watching some videos of rocket mass heaters I think I could keep.it warm enough during the winter.I could also use a heat sink compost to supplement heat. 

The area I have gets full sun until mid day.  It doesn't seem like I have enough time to do much extra now and have days where I feel like shit.  Maybe a hobby greenhouse would be therapeutic. 

I could trench power to it but might use 12v solar for exhaust fans in the summer.   There's a habit for humanity store where people bring Left over construction materials or items from remodeled buildings and homes.   If I start collecting windows now I might get enough that I could frame one myself.

You can also use milk jugs full of water painted black that will act as a heat sink and add heat back.

If you want less work, try making Hot Boxes. They work well too.
- Atlas Shrugged: Now Non Fiction -
[-] The following 3 users Like John's post:
  • FlyoverCountry, Lil Bit, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-13-2020, 04:59 PM)=42 Wrote: So, here is the new natural food & farming thread. As it starts out much of my input will be a repeat of the "Broken American Food System" thread at our last haunt.

I want to be clear that I do not claim to be an expert on the subject in a practical sense, but I have been studying many aspects for several years. I did get my Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) from Oregon State University a few years ago, but up until now I've only applied it on the small backyard scale. My intention is to acquire some acreage to start a small "natural" farm.

My interest started on the subject through witnessing the growth of the local food movements aka Localvore, Farm to Fork, Integrity Food, Sustainable Food, Etc... and as a former chef, I saw an opportunity to get back into the food industry in way that I could be my own boss and enjoy a pleasant lifestyle.

I look forward to the input of others on the subject and hope I can expand my knowledge base.

For those here that might be less aware of why this topic should mean something to you, looking at our "normal" food system is a good place to start.
This video takes an interesting look at where our food comes from and a brief look at some alternatives. Kinda long at 1 hr. + but I find it entertaining. 

@John 
@"Looky"

Have you looked into Specialty Crop grants? Have not looked for many years, but the government has a lot of money stashed away for people who are determined enough to jump through a few hoops and come up with a detailed proposal.
Banned "Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good." -Archbishop Charles J. Chaput
[-] The following 3 users Like USARockhound's post:
  • =42, Lil Bit, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-13-2020, 11:28 PM)USARockhound Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 04:59 PM)=42 Wrote: So, here is the new natural food & farming thread. As it starts out much of my input will be a repeat of the "Broken American Food System" thread at our last haunt.

I want to be clear that I do not claim to be an expert on the subject in a practical sense, but I have been studying many aspects for several years. I did get my Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) from Oregon State University a few years ago, but up until now I've only applied it on the small backyard scale. My intention is to acquire some acreage to start a small "natural" farm.

My interest started on the subject through witnessing the growth of the local food movements aka Localvore, Farm to Fork, Integrity Food, Sustainable Food, Etc... and as a former chef, I saw an opportunity to get back into the food industry in way that I could be my own boss and enjoy a pleasant lifestyle.

I look forward to the input of others on the subject and hope I can expand my knowledge base.

For those here that might be less aware of why this topic should mean something to you, looking at our "normal" food system is a good place to start.
This video takes an interesting look at where our food comes from and a brief look at some alternatives. Kinda long at 1 hr. + but I find it entertaining. 

@John 
@"Looky"

Have you looked into Specialty Crop grants? Have not looked for many years, but the government has a lot of money stashed away for people who are determined enough to jump through a few hoops and come up with a detailed proposal.
https://www.usda.gov/topics/farming/grants-and-loans
Life is a gift, enjoy the present!
[-] The following 3 users Like LQQKY's post:
  • =42, Lil Bit, Oldcynic
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fj0oeyREeM
[-] The following 4 users Like LQQKY's post:
  • =42, Danfromthehills, Lil Bit, Oldcynic
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUIGzy0bqFY
[-] The following 4 users Like LQQKY's post:
  • =42, Danfromthehills, Lil Bit, Oldcynic
Like Reply
What kind of stuff should you do to a garden in Jan and Feb?
[-] The following 3 users Like Danfromthehills's post:
  • Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic
Like Reply