Permaculture - Alternative Farming - Natural Food
(01-13-2020, 10:01 PM)=42 Wrote:
Thanks for the link. I've been shopping property closer to your neck of the woods.

Where abouts?
__________________________________________________________________________________

[Image: lzFChjG.jpg][Image: WGFeykg.png]

[-] The following 1 user Likes SouthernBelle's post:
  • LQQKY
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 11:12 AM)Danfromthehills Wrote: What kind of stuff should you do to a garden in Jan and Feb?

That question is difficult to answer not knowing your location/climate and what condition your garden was left in in the fall. In general, I'm a proponent of "no dig", "no till" minimal disturbance and cover cropping. If you mulched your garden in the fall, you can cover your garden with black plastic for a week or so to help raise the soil temperature before planting to get a jump on the season.

Charles Dowding is something of a Guru of No Dig Gardening. He has dozens of videos on youtube.

[-] The following 3 users Like =42's post:
  • Danfromthehills, LQQKY, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 11:12 AM)Danfromthehills Wrote: What kind of stuff should you do to a garden in Jan and Feb?
What a GREAT thread this is.  Thanks to every one!

In the Pennsylvania fall, we used to gather all the leaves people raked to their curb and smother our garden patch with them.  This was AFTER seeding it with rye grass.
Once the spring thaw was complete, we would till all this under and let the rains come and do their job.

After a few years doing this, the soil was rich and loamy.

My wife remarked the other day that the produce we buy here has created a fruit fly infestation of our fridge.  So be it.  It's comforting to know our food is infested with pests that would normally avoid pesticide laden fruits and vegetables.

Funny how truly fresh, organic fruits and vegetables don't last long, even when refrigerated.
My mind, a field of battles, struggles for peace in a tight place.
[-] The following 3 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • =42, Danfromthehills, FlyoverCountry
Like Reply
One complaint often heard regarding "non-conventional" farming is that it cannot be profitable on a large scale. Well, Gabe Brown (and others) have completely blown up that theory!

This video is very long (and is only part 1), but it starts out with how he was inspired to change to natural methods, and of course the outcomes. If you find it interesting you'll watch it and go on to part 2. Also, notice how focused he is on soil health!

[-] The following 2 users Like =42's post:
  • LQQKY, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 11:30 AM)SouthernBelle Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:01 PM)=42 Wrote:
Thanks for the link. I've been shopping property closer to your neck of the woods.

Where abouts?

Very interested in the Roseburg area. Had an offer on a piece there last summer that fell through.
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 12:46 PM)=42 Wrote: One complaint often heard regarding "non-conventional" farming is that it cannot be profitable on a large scale. Well, Gabe Brown (and others) have completely blown up that theory!

This video is very long (and is only part 1), but it starts out with how he was inspired to change to natural methods, and of course the outcomes. If you find it interesting you'll watch it and go on to part 2. Also, notice how focused he is on soil health!

I was debating on posting this exact vid but since I had already posted a couple of hours worth thought I would wait.. This is a must watch if you are into permaculture.
Life is a gift, enjoy the present!
[-] The following 1 user Likes LQQKY's post:
  • =42
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 12:53 PM)Looky Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 12:46 PM)=42 Wrote: One complaint often heard regarding "non-conventional" farming is that it cannot be profitable on a large scale. Well, Gabe Brown (and others) have completely blown up that theory!

I was debating on posting this exact vid but since I had already posted a couple of hours worth thought I would wait.. This is a must watch if you are into permaculture.

I know what your saying... I feel bad that most of these videos are long, but they are filled with very good information. If folks are interested, they will watch them. If not....

Also, I wanted to give a shout out to @bigD111 to check out Gabe Brown if he is not already familiar.
  • bigD111, FlyoverCountry, LQQKY
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 12:48 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 11:30 AM)SouthernBelle Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:01 PM)=42 Wrote: Thanks for the link. I've been shopping property closer to your neck of the woods.

Where abouts?

Very interested in the Roseburg area. Had an offer on a piece there last summer that fell through.

Bummer!! Have you looked in the Rogue Valley?
__________________________________________________________________________________

[Image: lzFChjG.jpg][Image: WGFeykg.png]

[-] The following 1 user Likes SouthernBelle's post:
  • bigD111
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 01:03 PM)SouthernBelle Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 12:48 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 11:30 AM)SouthernBelle Wrote: Where abouts?

Bummer!!  Have you looked in the Rogue Valley?

Not specifically, but it does fall into my search area. The MLS site I use to search has changed to something much more Zillow like, and makes it harder to search multiple counties. I'll have to give it another look. In general, I've found the affordability better in Douglas County.
  • bigD111, LQQKY, SouthernBelle
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 01:09 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:03 PM)SouthernBelle Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 12:48 PM)=42 Wrote: Very interested in the Roseburg area. Had an offer on a piece there last summer that fell through.

Bummer!!  Have you looked in the Rogue Valley?

Not specifically, but it does fall into my search area. The MLS site I use to search has changed to something much more Zillow like, and makes it harder to search multiple counties. I'll have to give it another look. In general, I've found the affordability better in Douglas County.
I remembered reading about this when I read your post .. not sure how relevant (2014) it is but something I would want to know about.

https://www.capitalpress.com/battle-over...8d7ce.html

Battle over GMO sugar beets emerges in Oregon
Life is a gift, enjoy the present!
[-] The following 2 users Like LQQKY's post:
  • =42, bigD111
Like Reply