Permaculture - Alternative Farming - Natural Food
(01-14-2020, 01:17 PM)Looky Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:09 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:03 PM)SouthernBelle Wrote: Bummer!!  Have you looked in the Rogue Valley?

Not specifically, but it does fall into my search area. The MLS site I use to search has changed to something much more Zillow like, and makes it harder to search multiple counties. I'll have to give it another look. In general, I've found the affordability better in Douglas County.
I remembered reading about this when I read your post .. not sure how relevant (2014) it is but something I would want to know about.

https://www.capitalpress.com/battle-over...8d7ce.html

Battle over GMO sugar beets emerges in Oregon

The GMO debate, although appropriate here, could deserve its own thread. There are so many issues to discuss. I may try to address some of those issues when it comes up again, and it will. I am 99.9% anti GMO! The only GMO crop that MAY be defensible is golden rice. The problem with golden rice (like all GMOs) is that there have been no long term studies on the effects on human health.
[-] The following 5 users Like =42's post:
  • bigD111, FlyoverCountry, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 01:09 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:03 PM)SouthernBelle Wrote: Bummer!!  Have you looked in the Rogue Valley?

Not specifically, but it does fall into my search area. The MLS site I use to search has changed to something much more Zillow like, and makes it harder to search multiple counties. I'll have to give it another look. In general, I've found the affordability better in Douglas County.
I remembered reading about this when I read your post .. not sure how relevant (2014) it is but something I would want to know about.

We won.  GMO's are illegal!

Yeah3
__________________________________________________________________________________

[Image: lzFChjG.jpg][Image: WGFeykg.png]

[-] The following 6 users Like SouthernBelle's post:
  • =42, bigD111, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 02:03 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:09 PM)=42 Wrote: Not specifically, but it does fall into my search area. The MLS site I use to search has changed to something much more Zillow like, and makes it harder to search multiple counties. I'll have to give it another look. In general, I've found the affordability better in Douglas County.

The GMO debate, although appropriate here, could deserve its own thread. There are so many issues to discuss. I may try to address some of those issues when it comes up again, and it will. I am 99.9% anti GMO! The only GMO crop that MAY be defensible is golden rice. The problem with golden rice (like all GMOs) is that there have been no long term studies on the effects on human health.

OK, you got me a bit fired up....

Just one of the many issues with GMO is, if your neighbor plants a GMO crop and it pollinates your field, they don't look at it as the pollen was trespassing, they look at it as you have stolen their patented genetics. 

10 min. video.

[-] The following 6 users Like =42's post:
  • bigD111, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic, SouthernBelle
Like Reply
This thread would not be complete without discussing Joel Salatin of Polyface Farm. Most who are familiar with the topic of this thread have at least heard of him. Joel has been called the most famous farmer in the US due to the exposure he's gottent in the last decade or so. The system and synergies that have been developed at Polyface have become a road map which many have used to create or adapt their own farms.

There are literally 100's of videos out there on Joel and his Farm. Here's a 3 part video that I think serves as a good introduction.

[-] The following 4 users Like =42's post:
  • bigD111, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY
Like Reply
I will definitely check these out! Thanks for letting me know 42! V6sRZf4
[-] The following 2 users Like bigD111's post:
  • Lil Bit, LQQKY
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 07:22 PM)bigD111 Wrote: I will definitely check these out!  Thanks for letting me know 42!  V6sRZf4

In particular check out Gabe Brown. He is a North Dakota dry land farmer with over 1000 acres. He's gone from producing conventional mono crops and some cattle, to no till, chemical free multi species cropping and cover cropping, still with cattle and other animals to diversify and maximize income.
[-] The following 4 users Like =42's post:
  • bigD111, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(01-13-2020, 07:56 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:07 PM)DRUMZ Wrote: Starting to get near the time that one needs to order bee hives for delivery in the spring time.
If one is so inclined.
I am placing an order next week.
My new fruit trees will thank me as well as my veggies.
I intend to plant a shit load of wild flowers this year as well.
I already compost, but can rob the forest floor as need be for awsome soil.
 Also....
Time to start thinking about what kind of organic heirloom seeds to order.
Peace and Love! Heartflowers

Keeping honey bees is great! Unfortunately my hive died at the end of its first year. Last year I was hoping to catch a swarm, but it didn't happen. I'm not planning to buy bees again until I relocate to acreage. 

There is definitely a learning curve to bee keeping and most people starting out tend to lose a hive, so don't be discouraged if that happens.
Where I live bee keepers will put their hives on your property and maintain them and give you some of the honey. Considered it but we have too many damned bears around here. Facepalm
[-] The following 4 users Like WNC's post:
  • bigD111, FlyoverCountry, Lil Bit, LQQKY
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 08:44 PM)WNC Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:56 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:07 PM)DRUMZ Wrote: Starting to get near the time that one needs to order bee hives for delivery in the spring time.
If one is so inclined.
I am placing an order next week.
My new fruit trees will thank me as well as my veggies.
I intend to plant a shit load of wild flowers this year as well.
I already compost, but can rob the forest floor as need be for awsome soil.
 Also....
Time to start thinking about what kind of organic heirloom seeds to order.
Peace and Love! Heartflowers

Keeping honey bees is great! Unfortunately my hive died at the end of its first year. Last year I was hoping to catch a swarm, but it didn't happen. I'm not planning to buy bees again until I relocate to acreage. 

There is definitely a learning curve to bee keeping and most people starting out tend to lose a hive, so don't be discouraged if that happens.
Where I live bee keepers will put their hives on your property and maintain them and give you some of the honey. Considered it but we have too many damned bears around here. Facepalm

A very simple and relatively inexpensive electric fence can be used to protect your hives from bears.
[-] The following 3 users Like =42's post:
  • bigD111, Lil Bit, LQQKY
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 08:48 PM)=42 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 08:44 PM)WNC Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:56 PM)=42 Wrote: Keeping honey bees is great! Unfortunately my hive died at the end of its first year. Last year I was hoping to catch a swarm, but it didn't happen. I'm not planning to buy bees again until I relocate to acreage. 

A very simple and relatively inexpensive electric fence can be used to protect your hives from bears.
Well maybe an electric fence for cattle may work. Personally with our little dog I really don't want to do anything to remotely attract them, electric fence or not. We just had a new chain link fence installed recently.
[-] The following 3 users Like WNC's post:
  • =42, Lil Bit, LQQKY
Like Reply
I'm glad @=42 started this. Seems like everyone becomes more interested in their health as they age and growing at least some of your own food is just better. 

I've always loved the Victory Gardens of the two wars. People who weren't able to contribute in other ways could make a difference locally and feed their families. 

When my brother and I were in grade school my dad knew a farmer that let us garden an old falling down homestead on his property.  I remember my grandmother coming and teaching my mom how to can. We had good garden food all.winter.  She also taught my mom to make preserves from the apricot tree we had in the backyard.  I would kill for a jar of that today.

[Image: sj45h51.png]
[-] The following 6 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • =42, John, Lil Bit, LQQKY, Oldcynic, WNC
Like Reply