Gardening and Food Growing
For the past few years I've focused more on my herb and medicinal garden but, I'll be planting a food garden this year for sure.

Just the basics...

Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Peppers
Green Beans

I'll try some squash but it doesn't usually do well here.  I'll get a few zukes before something rots or eats the stems/vines.  Any suggestions for preventing that would be appreciated.  I don't use pesticides so, natural ideas.
[-] The following 4 users Like Suzy Q's post:
  • ELIAKIM, MysticPizza, Sassy, WNC
Like Reply
(03-22-2020, 09:54 PM)Suzy Q Wrote: For the past few years I've focused more on my herb and medicinal garden but, I'll be planting a food garden this year for sure.

Just the basics...

Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Peppers
Green Beans

I'll try some squash but it doesn't usually do well here.  I'll get a few zukes before something rots or eats the stems/vines.  Any suggestions for preventing that would be appreciated.  I don't use pesticides so, natural ideas.

I keep all of my food seeds in doors until they grow strong enough to go outside. I did have some issues with mites last year in so I keep them in propagators in doors now. They like the heat in my healing room on the window sill. I have also put some shelving on the window sill for the propagators. Once the seedlings get too big for the propagators I then put them in individual pots and this year I have covered them over with a small cloche. The mites did feed on a few on them, but I had enough to keep the others going. I also bought a desk fan last year so when they are stronger I shall also put that on too. 

I found that once the plants are big enough and strong enough to go outside they usually do fine. My Zucchini did really great last year and I managed to keep three going all summer. I didn't do cucumber last year as the year before I had too many cucumbers from one plant, and each year I try to grow different things to see what works for me and is most successful. Although I might do cucumber again this year and buy a hybrid from the store already matured as a plant. 

I haven't had much success with carrots, each year I started them off to late in the growing season, I found that they don't like the summer and hot sun much, same with beetroot. My first year with beetroot was the most successful. Growing beetroot in containers isn't ideal as they like a lot of space, same with carrots and leeks. Beetroot in containers is fine if you would only like the leaves and the leaves do have more nutrition than the beets themselves. 

Spinach took up to much space for the amount of it and that didn't like the sun much either. 

I've had success with Pak Choi and that is great for nutrients and great to cook with. 

My herb garden is pretty much self-sufficient now. Although it is a great time to give them a herbal feed. The only new plant I bought so far this year is a St John's Wort. 

With beans it is important not to feed them, you get a better crop if you don't feed them. 

I have a lemon tree growing from seed, and that is doing great, I've kept that indoors since last autumn, it's about 14 inches high now and looking great. I'm trying to get some more lemon trees going from seed. Lemon trees like a sandy soil. 

Chilli's and capsicum I managed to overwinter in doors in previous years. Although this year I have to start again. It's best not to feed those plants too, because otherwise you end up with beautiful green plants and not enough fruit. Also don't water them like we have to water tomato plants because it makes the pepper and chilli plants work harder. 

Heartflowers
Some people embraced big pharma to change nature whereas I listened to Jesus and embraced nature to improve the change. The heavenly Father said, "This is my daughter in whom I am well pleased". 18.1.2020. 
[-] The following 2 users Like ELIAKIM's post:
  • MysticPizza, Suzy Q
Like Reply
(03-22-2020, 09:54 PM)Suzy Q Wrote: For the past few years I've focused more on my herb and medicinal garden but, I'll be planting a food garden this year for sure.

Just the basics...

Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Peppers
Green Beans

It sounds like you have squash vine borers.  There's not much you can do for them.  Pesticides are useless.

If you haven't grown squash for a couple of years, they might be gone...maybe.

I've tried all kinds of things like wrapping the base of the plants with aluminum foil so the moths can't lay eggs, or slitting open the vine and physically removing the little bastards. (cover up past the damage with dirt to grow more roots) These didn't work for me.

Your best bet is to pull up the plants as soon as you see the damage, BURN the plants, and replace them with fresh seedlings.
[-] The following 4 users Like Talon's post:
  • ELIAKIM, Sassy, Suzy Q, WNC
Like Reply
Popped into the DIY today, bought extra seeds in case they have to close, although they said that they would be the last place to close. 

Also bought some silver sand for repotting the lemon tree.
Some people embraced big pharma to change nature whereas I listened to Jesus and embraced nature to improve the change. The heavenly Father said, "This is my daughter in whom I am well pleased". 18.1.2020. 
Like Reply
Like Reply
Asian Hornets arrived in America/Canada. 

Look at the size of them.

Like Reply
So I'm looking for advice on starting the kochia seeds I ordered.  They will be here tomorrow or the next day. 

You hard core gardeners probably heard of using hydrogen peroxide mixed with water to start seeds.   This is the first I heard of it. 

These plus a lime green are what I'm going to try to grow from seed.
[Image: COf3y7s.jpg]

[Image: sj45h51.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • ELIAKIM, Yeppers
Like Reply
(05-04-2020, 08:03 PM)FlyoverCountry Wrote: So I'm looking for advice on starting the kochia seeds I ordered.  They will be here tomorrow or the next day. 

You hard core gardeners probably heard of using hydrogen peroxide mixed with water to start seeds.   This is the first I heard of it. 

Wow! I just googled images of it and it is absolutely beautiful! 
I have never seen or even heard of it.
Please keep us updated on how that goes for you. I would love to plant this in my yard.  :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yeppers's post:
  • FlyoverCountry
Like Reply
(05-05-2020, 10:39 AM)Yeppers Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 08:03 PM)FlyoverCountry Wrote: So I'm looking for advice on starting the kochia seeds I ordered.  They will be here tomorrow or the next day. 

Wow! I just googled images of it and it is absolutely beautiful! 
I have never seen or even heard of it.
Please keep us updated on how that goes for you. I would love to plant this in my yard.  :)
I will keep you posted.  Wish me luck,  I didn't know it was so difficult to grow from seed.  I thought I'd just turn the soil and plant the seeds.

Here's the green ones....

[Image: m3j3gVk.jpg]

[-] The following 2 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • ELIAKIM, Yeppers
Like Reply
@Yeppers

This is a real thing too.  Called a Rainbow Tree.  I might try this one too if it'll grow here.  It probably gets too cold in the winter. 

Full on Dr Suess plants

[Image: e5Y6I3m.jpg]

[-] The following 1 user Likes FlyoverCountry's post:
  • ELIAKIM
Like Reply