Gunnies.....
(02-24-2021, 03:44 PM)JB1 Wrote: A question for anyone with a 1911...

How hard is it for you to reinsert the slide stop during reassembly? I ask because it is very difficult on mine. I dont know if the plunger pin is to long, the plunger tube is slightly in wrong position or if the slide stop is out of spec in some way? I have to use a small precision flat head screwdriver to press the pin in while pressing down on the slide stop for it to snap in. Its aggrevating because im going to wind up with an idiot mark on the gun. I guess a good place to start would be to get a new plunger pin. Its just bullshit having to replace things on a practically brand new gun.
Need a little more info - who is the manufacturer ?
Is the firearm ORIGIONAL ? If not, what parts were replaced ?
"You better start believing in ghost stories Miss Swann, because you are in one."
[-] The following 2 users Like Grendelmort's post:
  • JB1, rikster111
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 07:34 PM)Weasel Keeper Wrote: I'm looking at my 460 Rowland right now and I can't imagine WTF is going wrong with yours,  1dunno1

All I can figure is mine is to long making it impossible to press the slide stop in without pressing the pin in alittle bit first.
自由が非合法化されると、無法者だけが自由のままになります : フセイン・フェイタル
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 07:40 PM)Grendelmort Wrote: Need a little more info - who is the manufacturer ?
Is the firearm ORIGIONAL ? If not, what parts were replaced ?

Its a Springfield Range Officer target. All original, brand new when i bought it last october.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JB1's post:
  • RedAuroras
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 07:32 PM)JB1 Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 07:02 PM)RedAuroras Wrote: Something's definitely outta whack then! Any probs with the thumb safety? I'm gonna have to pull mine out and take a look now and get back to ya.

Nope, no problems with the thumb safety. It performs as it should as far as I can tell. If I knew how long the plunger pin is supposed to be I could measure mine and either solve my problem or at least rule out the pin and move on to the next culprit.

Ok...humor me. I just dug out mine after a PM. There are two slots on the left side. One has a small oval cut in the slide that gets lined up with the ledge end for remove/reinstall of the slide stop after you take the barrel bushing out. Are you certain you've got that oval cut lined up when you try to reinstall? Plus, you might check the swinging link with the barrel removed. Could it be that the link isn't lined up or the hole in the link is the problem?
[Image: jBnGhhZ.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes RedAuroras's post:
  • Weasel Keeper
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 07:49 PM)JB1 Wrote: Its a Springfield Range Officer target. All original, brand new when i bought it last october.

After you get this issue resolved, you might consider installing a "Group Gripper kit" from Wilson.
[Image: mEIAyXP.jpg]
A better view of the link:
[Image: BwLSqiw.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes RedAuroras's post:
  • JB1
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 08:41 PM)RedAuroras Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 07:32 PM)JB1 Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 07:02 PM)RedAuroras Wrote: Something's definitely outta whack then! Any probs with the thumb safety? I'm gonna have to pull mine out and take a look now and get back to ya.

Nope, no problems with the thumb safety. It performs as it should as far as I can tell. If I knew how long the plunger pin is supposed to be I could measure mine and either solve my problem or at least rule out the pin and move on to the next culprit.

Ok...humor me. I just dug out mine after a PM. There are two slots on the left side. One has a small oval cut in the slide that gets lined up with the ledge end for remove/reinstall of the slide stop after you take the barrel bushing out. Are you certain you've got that oval cut lined up when you try to reinstall? Plus, you might check the swinging link with the barrel removed. Could it be that the link isn't lined up or the hole in the link is the problem?

Yep, I put the gun together correctly. It functions flawlessly and shoots smooth as butter once I get it back together. its just the slide stop cannot be pressed into place without pushing the plunger pin in manually. Its as if the pin is to long or protrudes to far. I wish I could take a picture of it but would be hard to get a good pic of the problem in action. Im just going to order a new plunger pin and see if that solves the issue.

Edit: Something else has dawned on me, maybe the problem is not that the plunger pin is to long, but rather has too much tension on it? Ive not dealt with enough 1911s to know how it "should" feel.

Edit #2: Took a few pictures, turned out better than I thought it would. The slide stop cannot be pressed into place without mashing that pin/detent in using a screwdriver, popsicle stick, etc...

[Image: one.jpg]

[Image: two.jpg]
  • RedAuroras
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 10:33 PM)JB1 Wrote: Edit #2: Took a few pictures, turned out better than I thought it would. The slide stop cannot be pressed into place without mashing that pin/detent in using a screwdriver, popsicle stick, etc...

[Image: one.jpg]

[Image: two.jpg]

Then go back to my 1st suggestion shoot/spray some solvent on that pin, let it dry, then oil it and exercise the crap out of it.

If that doesn't work, contact Springfield's CS.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 06:43 AM)RedAuroras Wrote: Then go back to my 1st suggestion shoot/spray some solvent on that pin, let it dry, then oil it and exercise the crap out of it.

If that doesn't work, contact Springfield's CS.

I called speingfield earlier today. Not a very happy outcome. They told me all they could do was have me send it in but there was no gurantee they could do anything to make it better and they noted a 4 week minimum turn around. Fuck that over a 5 dollar part. The lady didnt seem knowledgeable or interested in helping out. Not even an offer of sending a new detent. Hell, the turkish shotgun company offered to send a new part at cost. Ill just buy a new assembly from wilson combat.

I have put 3 different solvents on it, used different oils, and worked the shit out of it until my fingers hurt. I dont think its going to loosen up.  Cry
  • RedAuroras
Like Reply
I have built a fair number of custom 1911's, but have not encountered this plunger problem before. From the image, it appears that the slide-stop (front) plunger has a reduced diameter section exiting the front of the plunger tube instead of a proper, fully hemispherical (0.0895") nose. Each plunger should have a reduced diameter end (inside the tube) for attaching to the dual-plunger spring. The two exposed ends should be high-polished hemispheres. By the way, kink the spring right in its center (which does not move very much in operation) to provide enough internal friction so that the plungers and spring assembly does not fly away while the safety is being removed. I polish the flat on the rear of the slide stop and its bevel and then lightly dimple the exact spot where it contacts the plunger in its "down" position using a #43 drill bit. You never want the slide hold-open feature engaging accidentally while shooting.

I would simply install a new slide-stop plunger.
[-] The following 3 users Like PRIME's post:
  • JB1, RedAuroras, Weasel Keeper
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 04:56 PM)PRIME Wrote: I have built a fair number of custom 1911's, but have not encountered this plunger problem before. From the image, it appears that the slide-stop (front) plunger has a reduced diameter section exiting the front of the plunger tube instead of a proper, fully hemispherical (0.0895") nose. Each plunger should have a reduced diameter end (inside the tube) for attaching to the dual-plunger spring. The two exposed ends should be high-polished hemispheres. By the way, kink the spring right in its center (which does not move very much in operation) to provide enough internal friction so that the plungers and spring assembly does not fly away while the safety is being removed. I polish the flat on the rear of the slide stop and its bevel and then lightly dimple the exact spot where it contacts the plunger in its "down" position using a #43 drill bit. You never want the slide hold-open feature engaging accidentally while shooting.

I would simply install a new slide-stop plunger.

So basically, out of spec. Going to go ahead and order a new plunger assembly and slide stop from wilson combat. May even go ahead and get a few other doo hickies just to have parts on hand. Thanks for your advice. Cheers
[-] The following 2 users Like JB1's post:
  • rikster111, Weasel Keeper
Like Reply