Earthquakes
I grew up with Quakes, I love 'em

Beach Kid in L.A.
in the  80's

42nd floor of a High Rise I was Building

Earth shook
the Building began to spiral

Best ride ever

all these guys running for the Stairwell, I laughed, you'll be dead before you get two floors

bunch of Tuff guys, right ?

Seattle 7point something
On the Balcony watching people run out into the street, and stop under swaying power lines

I yell down to them : " are ya scared ? "

all look up at me as I'm laughing,. at them
they reply " Yeah"

well, ya better look up, you're under the Wires.
lol

Balcony I'm on is Bouncing radical

one yells : " That'll break off, get down here outside "

3 floors up

I reply " Pfft,,, Dude, the Manhole you're on is more dangerous
but thanks

hee hee

I miss the quakes we had in L.A.

and the waves afterward,  I Surf.
          [Image: xHV5PUW.png]
[-] Liked by:
  • Lil Bit, WhiteAngel
Like Reply
(03-25-2020, 01:34 PM)Max Gravity Wrote: This may be OT but, the Russians are famous for boring very deep holes for exploration.

I don't know if, they ever detonate "things" placed deep in the ground?

@RedAuroras

When you mention Coronal Holes, are you assuming a CME ?

Two completly different critters. CMassE's come from sunspots when the positive and negative umbras connect. Think Carrington Event of 1859 as the most well-known example. Bad news. 
On the flip side, "solar minimum" means very few if any sunspots. Consequently, not even mild CME's occur. The result is, more cosmic radiation reaches the Earth rather than being "swept away" by mild CME's and skin melanoma rates climb. A quick reference would be to scroll down the page at spaceweather.com and take a glance at the doses of radiation airline pax take.
Coronal holes are the result of cooler temps in a section of surface plasma that creates a hole allowing magnetically charged particles to blow out. Our magnetic field reacts, blah, blah, aurora, etc.
If you want to learn more, search Suspicious Observers on YT. Ben's got a ton of educational vids along with the daily vids.
[Image: jBnGhhZ.png]
[-] Liked by:
  • John, Lil Bit, Max Gravity, WhiteAngel
Like Reply
(03-25-2020, 04:43 AM)RedAuroras Wrote: @Whiteangel I'm pretty sure it was @Aquarius that thanked you for starting this thread. May I second that?!
You are very welcome  Heartflowers
[-] Liked by:
  • Aquarius, Commandante_Frio, Lil Bit
Like Reply
(03-25-2020, 01:34 PM)Max Gravity Wrote: This may be OT but, the Russians are famous for boring very deep holes for exploration.

I don't know if, they ever detonate "things" placed deep in the ground?

Snip
In the 1970s the Soviet Union drilled a set of cores 500–952 metres (1,640–3,123 ft) deep. These have been used to study the oxygen isotope composition of the ice, which showed that ice of the last glacial period was present below about 400 metres' depth. Then three more holes were drilled: in 1984, Hole 3G reached a final depth of 2202 m; in 1990, Hole 4G reached a final depth of 2546 m; and in 1993 Hole 5G reached a depth of 2755 m; after a brief closure, drilling continued during the winter of 1995. In 1996 it was stopped at depth 3623 m, by the request of the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research that expressed worries about possible contamination of Lake Vostok. This ice core, drilled collaboratively with the French, produced a record of past environmental conditions stretching back 420,000 years and covering four previous glacial periods. For a long time it was the only core to cover several glacial cycles; but in 2004 it was exceeded by the EPICA core, which, whilst shallower, covers a longer time span. In 2003 drilling was permitted to continue, but was halted at the estimated distance to the lake of only 130 m.
The ancient lake was finally breached on 5 February 2012 when scientists stopped drilling at the depth of 3,770 metres and reached the surface of the sub-glacial lake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vostok_Station

@RedAuroras

When you mention Coronal Holes, are you assuming a CME ?
Coronal holes, typically send us solar winds.  Solar winds mean more solar radiation gets through our shields.
The last Solar cycle was mild, which means our shields were not charged as much to help earth protect itself from large coronal mass ejections (CME's) from sunspots and filament ejections.   
During a solar minimum, there are fewer sunspots.  Small CME's we like as they help charge our shields.  It is the big X-flares CME's that can cause the grid to go down.  

We are likely going into a Grand Solar Minimum.  During this time, we will have very few sunspots.  That doesn't mean we can't have a huge sunspot happen that can blast the earth with a X-flare that is 28 or higher, that could kill our grid. Plus a filament release can cause the same harm.  Without small B and M flares popping off, our shields get weaker and weaker, meaning a smaller X-flare could take us down.  

During 1859, a large CME hit earth and fried telegraph machines and wires.  They didn't have all the electrical components we do now.  And guess where all our replacement parts come from????   You got it, China
It could take years to get the country back up and running.....but who will be left to care 1dunno1
[-] Liked by:
  • Lil Bit, Oldcynic
Like Reply
(03-25-2020, 08:04 PM)WhiteAngel Wrote: Coronal holes, typically send us solar winds.  Solar winds mean more solar radiation gets through our shields.
The last Solar cycle was mild, which means our shields were not charged as much to help earth protect itself from large coronal mass ejections (CME's) from sunspots and filament ejections.   
During a solar minimum, there are fewer sunspots.  Small CME's we like as they help charge our shields.  It is the big X-flares CME's that can cause the grid to go down.  

We are likely going into a Grand Solar Minimum.  During this time, we will have very few sunspots.  That doesn't mean we can't have a huge sunspot happen that can blast the earth with a X-flare that is 28 or higher, that could kill our grid. Plus a filament release can cause the same harm.  Without small B and M flares popping off, our shields get weaker and weaker, meaning a smaller X-flare could take us down.  

During 1859, a large CME hit earth and fried telegraph machines and wires.  They didn't have all the electrical components we do now.  And guess where all our replacement parts come from????   You got it, China
It could take years to get the country back up and running.....but who will be left to care 1dunno1

You, and anyone else that wants to learn need to go here:
https://spaceweathernews.com
Click at the very top of the page where it says, "Click 2 Learn".
Oh, and search "western union splice". Done properly, it's one of the strongest wire splices known to man. Guess when it got used.
[Image: jBnGhhZ.png]
[-] Liked by:
  • Lil Bit, WhiteAngel
Like Reply
(03-25-2020, 08:32 PM)RedAuroras Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:04 PM)WhiteAngel Wrote: Coronal holes, typically send us solar winds.  Solar winds mean more solar radiation gets through our shields.

You, and anyone else that wants to learn need to go here:
https://spaceweathernews.com
Click at the very top of the page where it says, "Click 2 Learn".
Oh, and search "western union splice". Done properly, it's one of the strongest wire splices known to man. Guess when it got used.
I followed the solar stuff all during the last solar max of 24.  It was fun and just a little bit scary at times.  Learned a lot that I was totally clueless about
[-] Liked by:
  • Lil Bit
Like Reply
Just an add as to deep drilling into our round mass of rock ... 

Quote:Pohang EGS Project is a research, development and demonstration project for the generation of MW scale electricity from a doublet system of wells deeper than TVD 4 km in Korea. The geothermal resource is Granodiorites below around 2,400 m from the surface under the Tertiary and Cretaceous sedimentary basin. The project duration is 2010 to 2015.

This paper introduces the deep drilling experience from the first well, which has been drilled 4,127 m at present and is waiting for well logging. The second well is planning to start to drill in 2014. The drill rig, casing, cementation, mud, bit, bottom hole assemble, drilling performance and the problems experienced have been presented

https://pangea.stanford.edu/ERE/db/WGC/p.../06034.pdf

Have they gone deeper ... many think that they have ... thoughts for another post ... be well folks ...
[-] Liked by:
  • Lil Bit, WhiteAngel
Like Reply
Because it is unique in the USA

Magnitude 4.7
Region WESTERN TEXAS

Date time 2020-03-26 15:16:28.6 UTC
Location 31.67 N ; 104.01 W
Depth 2 km
[link to www.emsc-csem.org (secure)]

EDIT: UPGRADED TO 5.0 !
[-] Liked by: