Think beyond STORED food and start GROWING food!
Video 
[Image: 74edd037-0331-44da-9bf5-616d839e0946]

5 hours ago

Think beyond STORED food and start GROWING food

If you aren't GROWING food, you may not be EATING food in the future.

https://www.brighteon.com/embed/c818307b...8a2a4ea531

V6sRZf4
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, Grendelmort, Kamchatka, PickleSnout, Red Dawn, WNC
Like Reply
(03-26-2020, 05:41 PM)NowhereMan Wrote: [Image: 74edd037-0331-44da-9bf5-616d839e0946]

5 hours ago

V6sRZf4

Having problems already. It is super dry and the sun doesn't heat anymore as much as it burns. I am trying something different. I am putting my full sun crops in partial shade, and the others in full shade, hoping to get better results than last year. Having to do a lot of hand watering.

Not food, but my Plumeria seed pod opened and I planted the healthy looking ones along with a couple skimpy looking ones and amazingly I have 18 plants coming up! Crossing my fingers.
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, Kamchatka, NowhereMan, PickleSnout
Like Reply
This is something I need to get better with. After growing, preserving too.
I like permies.com, cause they have lots of info for what they refer to as permaculture. I see it more as self sufficiency. And using nature vs chemicals to work smarter, not harder.

Don't you guys think the cycle of life systems are easy to maintain once the setup work is done? Like compost, grow rotation, moving animal pens, ect?

@Red Dawn you are right about the sun, and I don't trust my plants not just getting accidentally "sprayed" with something. I live in an agricultural area. The wind does blow.
Thinking hoop frames, pvc pipe on short rebar, joined at the top with fittings, and house-wrap covering.
Heartflowers
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, cynically absurd, Kamchatka, NowhereMan, Red Dawn
Like Reply
(03-26-2020, 05:41 PM)NowhereMan Wrote: [Image: 74edd037-0331-44da-9bf5-616d839e0946]

5 hours ago

V6sRZf4
Been growing food for years, I only have a little pissant garden because we live in the mountains. We grow enough to make us happy.
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, John, Kamchatka, NowhereMan, PickleSnout, Red Dawn, Wing-ed
Like Reply
(03-26-2020, 07:48 PM)WNC Wrote:

5 hours ago

V6sRZf4
Been growing food for years, I only have a little puissant garden because we live in the mountains. We grow enough to make us happy.

It is so weird out here in the 100 acre woods. My brother and I live less than a half mile apart and what grows well in my soil does poorly in his and vice versa.

He has a much greener thumb than I do, but I plant opposite of what he and my neighbor Sam plants. That way we all don't have a bunch of the same crops. Even with the breads. Sam makes the best Italian bread. Mother makes the old fashion standard, and my Brother makes all natural non GMO, and gluten free breads.  Each bakes on a different day so we have fresh baked bread all the time. 

Like you we produce enough to keep us fed and happy. Though sometimes on the weekends you would think this place was a farmers market the way all the neighbors drop off bags of fruit and produce that they share.
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, John, Kamchatka, NowhereMan, PickleSnout, Wing-ed, WNC
Like Reply
Started my seeds a month ago - most plants are ready to go in the garden beds.
Tomatoes (5 types)
Cucumbers
Peppers (hot and sweet)
Summer Squash
Zuchinni
Butternut Squash
Radishes
Garlic
Onion sets
Horseradish

Plus 4 plum trees, a fig tree and 6 peach trees - all in full bloom !
You better start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner, because you are in one....
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, John, Kamchatka, NowhereMan, PickleSnout, Red Dawn, Wing-ed, WNC
Like Reply
Just now getting time up here in the mountains to sprout seeds and still a few weeks away for planting anything.

The sun is much more intense that's for sure!
[-] Liked by:
  • Grendelmort, John, Kamchatka, NowhereMan, PickleSnout, Red Dawn, Wing-ed
Like Reply
(03-26-2020, 08:49 PM)Apache54 Wrote: Just now getting time up here in the mountains to sprout seeds and still a few weeks away for planting anything.

I planted mine in peat pots and put them in a large box with a small 2 tube fluorescent light and covered with a plastic trash bag - maintained enough heat (kept in the kitchen) to sprout and grow everything.
Just check and water as needed so nothing dries out.
You better start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner, because you are in one....
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, John, Kamchatka, Red Dawn, Wing-ed
Like Reply
Apache54 Wrote:Just now getting time up here in the mountains to sprout seeds and still a few weeks away for planting anything.

Same for me. We are finally getting past night freezes, though we have had feet of snow as late as April 21st here.
Everything inside or frames till May, for certainty.
Heartflowers
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, Grendelmort, Kamchatka, Red Dawn, Wing-ed
Like Reply
Last Frost Date around these parts is off in May sometime .

Gonna be a while yet . . .

[-] Liked by:
  • Kamchatka
Like Reply