Think beyond STORED food and start GROWING food!
Amen to that! No reason that almost everybody can't grow their own food! I live in a frigging trailer park and have two gardens and a flower bed that also grows food. Even apt dwellers can have a pot or two...

Its easy, enjoyable, healthier and CHEAP! And as food prices continue to rise its just gonna make good sense... Virus or no virus.

Got lettuce, spinach, radishes, mustard greens, garlic, onions, leeks and potatoes in. Sweet potato slips are under way and will be planted in 3-4 weeks. Will have corn, squash andbeens later, as well as various herbs and whatever else I can fit in here or there...
If you rotten sons of bitches are intent on starting a civil war, in my beloved Old Dominion, then at least do it right... Send your bachelors... And bring your body bags!

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS!!!
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, PickleSnout, Wing-ed
Like Reply
(03-27-2020, 06:18 AM)Heir Wrote: Last Frost Date around these parts is off in May sometime .

Gonna be a while yet . . .

Where I live the last frost date is anywhere between Mid May and June 1st.
[-] Liked by:
  • PickleSnout, Wing-ed
Like Reply
(03-27-2020, 06:18 AM)Heir Wrote: Last Frost Date around these parts is off in May sometime .

Gonna be a while yet . . .

Exactly. We're starting some stuff inside and have bought herb plants to grow, but the last time we put our garden out before May 10, it baked to death at the beginning of the week and hard froze at the end of the week.  I remember standing in the garden crying over my little green babies, and there wasn't even a crisis then. But I raised the little bastards from seeds!

Cry Cry Cry
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, PickleSnout, Wing-ed
Like Reply
(03-26-2020, 07:17 PM)PickleSnout Wrote: This is something I need to get better with. After growing, preserving too.
I like permies.com, cause they have lots of info for what they refer to as permaculture. I see it more as self sufficiency. And using nature vs chemicals to work smarter, not harder.

Don't you guys think the cycle of life systems are easy to maintain once the setup work is done? Like compost, grow rotation, moving animal pens, ect?

@Red Dawn you are right about the sun, and I don't trust my plants not just getting accidentally "sprayed" with something. I live in an agricultural area. The wind does blow.
Thinking hoop frames, pvc pipe on short rebar, joined at the top with fittings, and house-wrap covering.
I love Permies.com

Kudos Girl

I do Guerilla Farming, every seed from all my food, is tossed in Seed Balls throughout every where I Travel.

I've Planted probably a Ton of Avocado Seeds by burrowing a Hole in the ground
with my Hiking Stick.

Carmel Calif. now has a Bunch of Avocado Tree saplings growing along Hiway 1 Tee Hee

Grape Vines all along creeks on the West Coast?
Yepper,,,,

We did that,

feels good to know your seed balls are feeding people you never met. sites like the one in the Pic.

[Image: gCNOJrt.jpg]
          [Image: xHV5PUW.png]
[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, Kamchatka, PickleSnout, Wing-ed
Like Reply
Should get out the Seed Can and see what ' s in there .

Been growing " Heirloom " Open Pollinated and Seed Saving for a long time . Wife has 1dunno1 varieties that have been acclimated over the years .

Should hit Baker Creek for a quick look around . https://www.rareseeds.com/

Well . . . COVID Everywhere Facepalm Thanks Jere . Ya done Good Missouri Son .

https://www.rareseeds.com/order-delay

[-] Liked by:
  • Apache54, Kamchatka, PickleSnout, Wing-ed
Like Reply
Just bought a second 4 foot 3 point tiller ! Put in 1/2 acre of potatoes so far ! Have 3 people gardening on my land on shares ! The potatoes were from seed potatoes I grew last year and saved in the basement !!
1 of 7000 Reserved
[-] Liked by:
  • Heir
Like Reply