Still pissed off......
So, I dropped some serious coin for a Fender guitar.
It sounds great and plays great.
I also have a Yamaha that I learned to play on but it is awaiting parts (a new bone Nut, Bone Pegs and Bone bridge assembly)
My problem is my 3/4 scale Johnson guitar.
It sounds and plays better than my Fender !
The Johnson is 20 years old and I only paid about $125 for it new.
I am not a Luthier but I have a good sense of tone.
I actually "put down the Johnson" for about 6 months and played only the Fender.
Then re-strung the Johnson and Fender with the same strings and I will be damned if the Johnson didn't still have a "richer" tone !
Why does my "cheap" guitar play better than my big money one ?
"You better start believing in ghost stories Miss Swann, because you are in one."
[-] Liked by:
  • Arkan_Ted, Elric, Kamchatka
Like Reply
(08-02-2020, 04:10 AM)Grendelmort Wrote: So, I dropped some serious coin for a Fender guitar.
It sounds great and plays great.
I also have a Yamaha that I learned to play on but it is awaiting parts (a new bone Nut, Bone Pegs and Bone bridge assembly)
My problem is my 3/4 scale Johnson guitar.
It sounds and plays better than my Fender !
The Johnson is 20 years old and I only paid about $125 for it new.
I am not a Luthier but I have a good sense of tone.
I actually "put down the Johnson" for about 6 months and played only the Fender.
Then re-strung the Johnson and Fender with the same strings and I will be damned if the Johnson didn't still have a "richer" tone !
Why does my "cheap" guitar play better than my big money one ?

What kind of strings are you using?
A full-size dreadnought with extra-lite strings won't sound as full and rich as a 3/4 with the same extra lite strings, for example. But if you change the dreadnought to lite strings instead, suddenly it will shine beyond the 3/4.

If that fails, trade the Fender for a Martin  Chuckle
[-] Liked by:
  • Heir, Kamchatka
I have a custom shop Fender 5-str jazz bass that cost abt $2200 six years ago. Also own a $600 Mexican Precision 4 string that everybody prefers the tone. Expense doesn’t always mean ‘the best’. I love them both but the Precision gets most of the play time.
Like Reply