Destruction of Sports ...
(08-17-2020, 08:43 PM)Max Gravity Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 07:22 PM)WNC Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 07:19 PM)Max Gravity Wrote: I photographed major league baseball for a time (Oakland A's World Series run & SF Giants).

I've completely lost interest in all sports except 250cc GP Motorcycle Racing. I don't care what they do. Good luck to the A's, my home town team but, i won't watch them any longer.
My dad loved sports especially baseball. The last year of his life the bastards went on strike. Haven't watched a game since nor will I ever again.

From being just a few feet from the entrance to the A's dugout during many games... Most of the star players were spoiled AHs. I was always treated well as, i made them look good. But, to see other players treated badly by them would make you angry.. it made me angry. Jackson, Bando. Rudy, Tenace were ass holes. Blue, Fingers, North, Manguel, and others, inc Finnley, were truly nice people.

I have nothing nice to say about the 80's Giants front office. We almost got legal over unpaid bills.  Both Vida Blue and Billy North were on the Giants roster. They both told me they were treated like shit by team managers. Screw the Giants.
I'm going out on a limb here but after the 60's, major league sports started going to hell in a handbasket.
[-] The following 4 users Like WNC's post:
  • Elric, Max, Scuffalufacus, Wingsprint
Like Reply
Sports isn't sports anymore - it's all about who can game and get over on the system.
NASCAR used to be about a bunch of good ole boys who built race cars under shade trees and raced them till the wheels fell off.
The NBA was at one time 50/50 white and black (remember the likes of Larry Byrd) but you are hard pressed to find a white player in the NBA.
Baseball and Football is the same way - how to game the system, not about fair competition and sportsmanship.
Gunpowder smoke behind the Dogwood trees
[-] The following 6 users Like Grendelmort's post:
  • Elric, Max, Pope Trollalittle, Scuffalufacus, Wingsprint, WNC
Like Reply
(08-17-2020, 08:52 PM)Grendelmort Wrote: Sports isn't sports anymore - it's all about who can game and get over on the system.
NASCAR used to be about a bunch of good ole boys who built race cars under shade trees and raced them till the wheels fell off.
The NBA was at one time 50/50 white and black (remember the likes of Larry Byrd) but you are hard pressed to find a white player in the NBA.
Baseball and Football is the same way - how to game the system, not about fair competition and sportsmanship.
Yeah you have to follow the money nowadays.
[-] The following 4 users Like WNC's post:
  • Elric, Max, Scuffalufacus, Wingsprint
Like Reply
Not even the thought of watching Tom Brady get his head smashed in over and over in Tampa could entice me back to the NFL again.

I was tempted. For just a minute. Wink
[Image: SoZEKF4.png]
[-] The following 6 users Like crunchysuperman's post:
  • Elric, Max, San Azulito, Wingsprint, WNC, ~mc~
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/kq2E7LBClnY

I used to be an F1 fanatic.  As with drugs and alcohol, I've given it up.  Hamilton's Mercedes Team cars which in the past were silver, from the old days when they did not paint the aluminium bodies to save weight and called them "The Silver Arrows" are now BLACK for BLM.

I'm finished with this self-righteous shit!
My mind, a field of battles, struggles for peace in a tight place.
[-] The following 6 users Like Oldcynic's post:
  • Capslock, Elric, Grendelmort, Heir, Max, Wingsprint
Like Reply
(08-17-2020, 09:38 PM)Oldcynic Wrote: https://youtu.be/kq2E7LBClnY

I used to be an F1 fanatic.  As with drugs and alcohol, I've given it up.  Hamilton's Mercedes Team cars which in the past were silver, from the old days when they did not paint the aluminium bodies to save weight and called them "The Silver Arrows" are now BLACK for BLM.

I'm finished with this self-righteous shit!
And they better let the black driver win "or else" you are a racist - you fucking watch
Gunpowder smoke behind the Dogwood trees
[-] The following 2 users Like Grendelmort's post:
  • Oldcynic, Wingsprint
Like Reply
A friend of mine who was always a die-hard sports fan doesn't watch any pro sports anymore, since the kneeling thing started.  He isn't especially political (and was a lib at the time), but now if asked, he just sarcastically says he can't enjoy it knowing how awful life is for people who got free college and have multi-million-dollar salaries.  I've adopted his viewpoint.

I think the pro leagues will probably collapse before long.  People who feel they've been shit on by pro sports always react like it's sweet karmic justice (get woke -- go broke!), but they don't see that that is also the bad guys winning.  They've ruined TV, movies, comics, sports, social media, news, sci-fi, and more with this SJW shit already.  What cultural aspect do we lose next?  Do we get to enjoy anything?  In Soviet America, entertainment watches you!
[-] The following 5 users Like Capslock's post:
  • Elric, Hero Protagonist, Scuffalufacus, SlowLoris, Wingsprint
Like Reply
(08-17-2020, 07:39 PM)Elric Wrote: One thing I've never understood about American baseball; why is it called the world series when no other country is invited to compete? Scratchinghead

1dunno1

The World Series is the annual championship series of Major League Baseball in Canada and the USA, contested since 1903 between the American League champion team and the National League champion team. The winner of the World Series championship is determined through a best-of-seven playoff, and the winning team is awarded the Commissioner's Trophy. Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series

[Image: 3FTRPrR.png][Image: on1tkoS.png]
https://web.archive.org/web/201310032204...gacy.info/
Celebrating Over 30 Years as a " Designated Paper Terrorist "
[-] The following 4 users Like Heir's post:
  • Elric, Pope Trollalittle, San Azulito, Wingsprint
Like Reply
(08-17-2020, 08:56 PM)crunchysuperman Wrote: Not even the thought of watching Tom Brady get his head smashed in over and over in Tampa could entice me back to the NFL again.

I was tempted.  For just a minute.  Wink
this  Chuckle

but I may try to find replays the morning after  Chuckle
[-] The following 3 users Like ~mc~'s post:
  • Elric, Heir, Wingsprint
Like Reply
Baseball was truly great when it was quintessentially American. It cannot and should not survive on a pro level now that it has become anti-American. It should only survive on a local level on the sandlot where it will remain American. May the ghost of Babe Ruth haunt and endlessly torment every bastard who took a knee.
Moon Rocks
[-] The following 8 users Like Pope Trollalittle's post:
  • Capslock, Elric, Heir, Max, San Azulito, SlowLoris, T-Dub, Wingsprint
Like Reply