Not that unusual?
This might be a good read.

https://stateofthenation.co/wp-content/u.../TRH77.pdf

Why are we going through this again?

Who is the real enemy of humanity?

230 pages.
Like Reply
Kingdom Gospel vs. the Grace Gospel

Les Feldick comments on a letter he received from the president of Dallas Theological Seminary Lewis Sperry Chafer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Eep8Wl_5E

Strong objection is offered by coming-up theologians to a distinction between the Gospel of the Kingdom as preached by John the Baptist, Jesus, and the disciples and the Pauline Gospel of the Grace of God.

One covenant theologian states that to make such a distinction is unfortunate and dangerous.

He with others contends that the Kingdom Gospel is identical with the Gospel of Divine Grace. Here, nevertheless, will arise an absurdity which does not deter this type of theologian, namely that men could preach the Pauline Grace Gospel based, that is, on the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ when they did not believe Christ would die or be raised from the dead.
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgAJF-wXyho
That’s My King! —Dr. S.M. Lockridge, Official https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE
Like Reply
(10-05-2021, 09:59 AM)counterintelligence Wrote: Kingdom Gospel vs. the Grace Gospel

Les Feldick comments on a letter he received from the president of Dallas Theological Seminary Lewis Sperry Chafer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Eep8Wl_5E

Strong objection is offered by coming-up theologians to a distinction between the Gospel of the Kingdom as preached by John the Baptist, Jesus, and the disciples and the Pauline Gospel of the Grace of God.

One covenant theologian states that to make such a distinction is unfortunate and dangerous.

He with others contends that the Kingdom Gospel is identical with the Gospel of Divine Grace. Here, nevertheless, will arise an absurdity which does not deter this type of theologian, namely that men could preach the Pauline Grace Gospel based, that is, on the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ when they did not believe Christ would die or be raised from the dead.
Love ya,  ci  Heartflowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egyR3EVYSUk&t=343s
That’s My King! —Dr. S.M. Lockridge, Official https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE
Like Reply
Jptdknpa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtkn-EfS8dg
Like Reply
https://tabletalkmagazine.com/posts/thre...the-heart/

Three Tests for Diagnosing Idols of the Heart
06 Oct. 2021 by Matthew Miller

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols,” writes the aged Apostle John at the end of his first epistle (1 John 5:21). Years earlier, Paul exhorted the Colossians to “put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry” (Col. 3:5, emphasis added). If the Old Testament prophets warned the people of God against idols of silver and gold forged in the kiln (Isa. 37:19), the New Testament writers alert us to idols of another kind: the idols of ideas and obsessions forged in the heart.

In recent years, the church has come to speak of this second kind of idols as “idols of the heart.” Is God the object of our hearts’ deepest affections and longings, or is something else captivating us? That “something else” need not be evil in itself. When Jesus says we must choose whether we will serve God or money, it is not because money is bad in itself; rather, as Paul says, it is “the love of money” that is the root of all kinds of evil (Matt. 6:21–241 Tim. 6:10, emphasis added). Accordingly, our fallen hearts can take all kinds of good things—money, achievement, romance, patriotism, family, even a noble cause—and turn them into dangerous idols that lead us away from a pure devotion to the Lord and into spiritual adultery (with all the danger and misery that includes).

If you have an idol in your heart, you should not delay in dealing with it. But you must first know if it’s there, and that requires spiritual diagnosis. In this short piece, I want to suggest there are three symptoms that indicate the presence of an idol of the heart. If you find these three symptoms of idolatry present in your life, you need to take urgent action.

The first symptom of an idol is you continually find yourself thinking about it when you have nothing else to think about it. It operates like an obsession in the back of your mind, calling for constant attention. You think obsessively about winning the next game, or getting married, or that pressing issue at work, or the state of your portfolio, or the details of your kids’ lives, or what other people may be thinking or saying about you. 

It would be entirely appropriate to give some of your attention to these things, and sometimes even significant attention to them. You would want to be prepared for tomorrow’s presentation at work, attentive to your child’s well-being, involved in the affairs of your nation, or committed to a good cause. But if you find that all of your thoughts have a way of funneling toward this central obsession, and have for some time, it signals the presence of something that has become an idol. 

The second symptom of an idol is you find yourself taking unwise measures to attain it. You might date someone you know you shouldn’t date or let a relationship cross boundaries you know it shouldn’t cross. You might make an unwise investment with your money or choose not to tithe to fund your 401(k). You might lie on your résumé or skew “just a smidge” your quarterly report. You might pull away from otherwise precious and proven friendships because they won’t get as exercised about your cause as you are. You might take too much time from your family to train for an endurance event or allow your child’s sports schedule to take precedence over worship on the Lord’s Day. 

Realize that the Lord’s goal is not to slay your heart but to sanctify and satisfy it (and in that order).

In one of many ways, that idol of the heart has led you not only to do something you would not have done in your wiser moments, but also to rationalize and excuse it. “This is the only way I’ll have a chance to get married.” “If this investment succeeds, I’ll be able be give more money to the church later.” “If I get these three hours to myself, I’ll be a better parent the rest of this weekend.” “If my child doesn’t travel for all these tournaments, she’ll let her teammates down, and wouldn’t that hurt her witness?” When you find that your pursuit of a good thing has brought you to the point that you’re taking unwise measures to attain it, that signals the presence of an idol of the heart.

[size=large][font=-apple-system-font]The third symptom of an idol is you feel entitled to your bitterness about not having it. When someone lovingly suggests that you could have contentment and peace without this thing you most want, you’re not hopeful that they might be right. You’re irritated. You resent them for suggesting it. In your mind, you dismiss them as “having no idea what it’s like to be where I am.” 

When the single person has made an idol of marriage, she pours quiet contempt on those who speak the consolations of the gospel. When the couple in a financial tight spot has made an idol of money, they feel entitled to complain about their situation while disregarding opportunities presented to them to learn how to budget or make additional side income. When an athlete or worker who has made an idol of achievement feels the sting of a loss or setback, he shuns the opportunity to learn, with Paul, “in whatever situation I am to be content” ([color=#d19600]Phil. 4:11), preferring to let the pain drive him to intensify his efforts on the one hand or throw in the towel on the other. If you find yourself strangely preferring the bitterness of not having what you desire to the prospect of joy and contentment in Christ alone, that’s a strong symptom of an idol of the heart.

So how is it with you? Is there something you find yourself thinking about when you have nothing else to think about? Have you contemplated taking, or have you already taken, unwise measures to attain it? And do you feel entitled to your bitterness about not having it? If so, dear friend, I would strongly encourage you to do three things. 

First, be honest with the Lord about it. Trust that if you confess this idol to the Lord, He will forgive you and open His arms to you. Second, ask Him to show you how this idol is deceiving you and stealing the contentment the Lord offers His children right where you are. Third, ask Him to show you what this desire—for marriage, for achievement, for your family’s well-being, for your country’s well-being, for the advancement of your cause —would look like if it existed in a proper place beneath a supreme desire for Him and for His glory. Realize that His goal is not to slay your heart but to sanctify and satisfy it (and in that order).

Idols of the heart make us like “the man with the muck-rake” in the second book of Pilgrim’s Progress. In this vision, a man “could look no ways but downwards, with a muck-rake in his hand.” While fixing his full attention on the worthless things below him, there stood above the man one holding forth a crown. The muck-rake for the crown, that was the ongoing offer—“but the man did neither look up nor regard, but raked to himself the straws, the small sticks, and the dust of the floor.” What a tragedy! And what a picture of someone beholden to idols of the heart: obsessing, slaving away, refusing something far better.

“Little children,” warns the Apostle John to us all, “keep yourselves from idols” (1 John 5:20).
Like Reply
The only thing the elites are good at are believing all of the Father of Lies has told and spreading the lies.  The lies that have been told since the garden of eden.  The lies to tell Eve that the world that God created wasn’t capable of sustaining itself and wasn’t designed to do what God wanted or that it didn’t provide everything that the humans could survive on.  That heaven and being your own god was just another step away.  Right there with the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.  Just partake of it and make it easier for Satan to rule over them.  They were naked in the garden of Eden and were not ashamed.  Nakedness wasn’t realized until after the fall and it wasn’t an issue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes counterintelligence's post:
  • Verity
Like Reply
National religion: football

https://vimeo.com/247757551
[-] The following 2 users Like counterintelligence's post:
  • Oldcynic, Verity
Like Reply
https://www.forthegospel.org/hope-builde...en-hearts/

Hope Builders for Broken Hearts

Written by Costi Hinn Posted on October 7, 2021 14 min read

The constant drumbeat of media, radio, podcasts, and social media can pump a steady diet of negativity and brokenness into our minds each day. Compound that with our own pain, sickness, and suffering and it is easy to understand why so many people experience the feeling of hopelessness on a daily or weekly basis. But for the Christian, don’t forget who gets the last word! 

A man approached a Little League baseball game one afternoon. He asked a boy in the dugout what the score was. The boy responded, “Eighteen to nothing—we’re behind.” 

“Boy,” said the spectator, “I’ll bet you’re discouraged.” 

“Why should I be discouraged?” replied the little boy. “We haven’t even gotten up to bat yet!” 

Depending on where you’re reading this, a nice loud, “Amen!” may be in order. Let these “hope builders” serve as a reminder for you: Jesus is up to bat. 

Hope Builder #1: Jesus will finish what He has started in you 

I don’t know about you, but I often forget about the heroes of the faith that are already in heaven experiencing what we wait for with expectancy. We don’t know for certain (theologically speaking) if our loved ones who are saved are watching and cheering us on, but we do know that a “cloud of witnesses” is already in heaven who see first-hand what Jesus can do. We also know that Jesus promises to have the last word when it comes to our glorious future. That’s a big deal because if what you’re facing breeds hopelessness, remembering who you belong to and who is behind you will build hopefulness! The author of Hebrews will take it from here. I’ve added some emphasis on the phrases I want you to meditate on:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. 
Hebrews 12:1–3

The same faith that saved Abraham, and all of the other heroes of the faith listed in the book of Hebrews, is the same faith that you can have in Jesus. You can endure this life not by your own strength, but with His. This passage also has a key reminder about laying aside sins and weights that slow you down and keep you from experiencing greater joy in Jesus. Some people prefer to hold on to sins and weights like bitterness, unforgiveness, addictions, or even hatred, because these reactions help us falsely justify our anger and hopelessness. These help us play the victim rather than the victor. Others struggle with hopelessness because their hope is attached to all the wrong things. When your hope is wrapped up in the things of this world and not Jesus, you’re bound to be disappointed. 

A pastor-friend of mine likens holding on to bitterness and anger while trying to run the race of the Christian life to trying to run a marathon while wearing a parka. You may make it to the finish line, but you’ll undoubtedly be overheated and are certain to double or triple the time it would’ve taken to reach your destination. You don’t need to look to yourself for hope, and you don’t need to hold on to playing the victim. You need to look to Jesus. He founded your faith. He finishes your faith. Best of all, He’s seated at the right hand of God the Father and has big plans for your future. Focus on Him so that you don’t grow weary and lose heart.  

Hope Builder #2: Jesus has been where you are and beat it

It’s one thing if Jesus was a detached deity who dwelt in some far-off, distant place. How unrelatable would that be? Even in the beginning of creation, our God walked with His creation in some manner and form (Genesis 3:8). He is holy and set apart, yet He is still personal and relatable. 

The author of Hebrews again delivers a hope builder as Jesus is explained as one who has been where we’ve been and can sympathize with us. Hebrews 4:14–16 declares, 

“Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”

Jesus walked the road you’re on and did it perfectly. If He’s your Savior, you’re going to make it, not because of you, but in spite of you. Because of Him, you aren’t holding on to hope. Hope is holding on to you! 

Hope Builder #3: Jesus hasn’t left you alone 

One of the greatest fears that Jesus’ disciples had was the same fear that many people struggle with today. We think, I don’t want to be alone. His promise to them is still a promise for us when He said, “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you” (John 14:18). These words that foreshadow His glorious return sit between both a promise for the coming of the Holy Spirit and that Jesus is in them, and they are in Him. All in all, those who have Jesus are never alone. When loneliness rears its ugly head, the believer can put it right back in its place by remembering the promises that Jesus made. If this doesn’t work, you may need to look deeper at what you depend on. 

I want to challenge you to assess your heart when it comes to dependency on people. As a people person, I am with you on the importance of relationships, friendships, and leaning on trustworthy people. At the same time, I believe that we can have an overdependence on people and replace the priority of time with Jesus with time with people. When loneliness hits us, an overdependent person thinks, I just need to be with people before they think, I just need to be with Jesus. Let me reiterate: we were made for relationships and need to lean on people. However, loneliness will persist when our dependence is on people, and not on Jesus. If you are a believer, you are never alone. You may feel lonely, but Jesus is only a whisper away. You can talk to Him, share your heart with Him, and put your hope in Him. Go to Him first. He is there. 

Hope Builder #4: Jesus hears your prayers and is praying for you

Out of all five hope builders, this one might be the one that you think of the least but should commit to remembering the most. Have you ever prayed a prayer and wondered if Jesus is listening? Perhaps you’ve echoed the words of Psalm 130:1–2, saying, “Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.” That is some serious expression about a serious need. But what usually comes next? Thoughts that go something like, Jesus isn’t listening. You’re just talking into thin air. How silly and embarrassing to speak when no one is even there. With so many people praying at once, your prayers aren’t important to God. 

Do you know where lies like that come from? Only the devil himself talks like that (John 8:44). His goal is to blind you from ever fully knowing and appreciating this hope builder. The truth is, Jesus hears your prayers and is actually praying for you! Look at these facts from the Bible: 
  • You can cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you (1 Peter 5:7).
  • God will unload wisdom onto you if you ask Him and believe (James 1:5–8).
  • God listens to those who worship Him (John 9:31).
  • When you ask for things in line with His will He hears you and will do it (1 John 5:14).
  • The Lord hears the prayers of the righteous (1 Peter 3:12).
That settles that. Jesus hears your prayers. But is He really praying for you? Absolutely.

Romans 8:31 powerfully declares that “if God is for us, who can be against us?” and is followed up with assurance in verse 34 that Jesus Christ “is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.” Hope is built up when we realize that Satan is a liar who constantly accuses people before God (Revelation 12:10), while Jesus is a mighty king who hears your prayers and is praying for you! Tune out the devil’s lies. Tune in to Christ through prayer. 

Hope Builder #5: Jesus promises that your pain will have purpose

One of the questions we tend to ask when enduring a painful experience in life is, what is this all for? Even if we have a high tolerance for painful trials, we usually have a low tolerance for not knowing what it is all for. The Bible repeatedly tells us that our pain and trials are going to have purposeful results. James 1:2 tells us that the testing of our faith is going to produce endurance. Who doesn’t want more endurance for this life? Pain and trials are one way that Jesus accomplishes that process. Like an athlete, the way to grow your endurance is to stretch your limits and push yourself beyond where you’ve been before. Slowly, but surely, you will be one who endures. 

Romans 5:3–5 is another passage that shows us the purpose in pain. Paul explains that through suffering our character is being built up, and that character-building process will produce more hope! The cross of Jesus Christ is the greatest example of this hope builder. Through the cross, Jesus endured much pain, but none of it was pointless. No pain ever is. God will give it purpose. 

Is your hope built on Jesus? Trust Him to turn your pain into purpose. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Verity's post:
  • Oldcynic
Like Reply
https://g3min.org/mission-make-worshipers/

Mission: Make Worshipers

After Jesus died and rose again, he appeared to his disciples and many others, beginning a short period of teaching before he ascended back to heaven. During this time, Jesus prepared his disciples for the mission he was giving to them, telling them, “As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you” (John 20:21). In other words, just as God the Father sent the Son into the world to accomplish the mission of redeeming his people, so Jesus was now sending his disciples on a mission, and he made that mission explicit just prior to his ascension. Known as the “Great Commission,” Jesus commanded his disciples,

Matt 28:19–20 Wrote:Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

The imperative verb in this commission identifies the central purpose for the church, the body of believers the apostles would found: “make disciples.” Jesus’s mission for his followers was that they would make more followers, and the other participles in this commission as well as descriptions of this commission recorded in Mark and Luke explain how making disciples would take place.

First, making disciples requires proclamation of the gospel. Mark’s account of this commission emphasizes this necessity: “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation” (Mark 16:14). Luke records the content of this gospel message: “Thus it is written, that Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem” (Luke 24:46–47). A disciple is a follower of Christ, and the only way to follow him is to repent and believe in him. 

Second, baptizing new disciples in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit was to be the visible sign of membership into Christ’s body, the church. Baptism becomes an important church ordinance that identified converts with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. 

Third, Christ commanded that his followers teach these new disciples to observe all that he had commanded. Here we find explicit instruction regarding the formation of a Christian’s theology as well as his behavior.

During what has come to be called Jesus’s “High Priestly Prayer” following the Last Supper (John 17), Jesus revealed the central goal of this mission of making disciples. After praying that his disciples would be protected from the world (v. 15) and sanctified in his truth (v. 17), Jesus says that he is sending them into the world (v. 18) with his word (v. 14) so that others would believe in him (v. 20). But then Jesus explains the purpose of this mission:

John 17:21–23 Wrote:That they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

Christ’s goal for his people is that they would share a profound union with him and with one another. This center of unity is a communion with the glory of God; it is being in God and he in us. It is, as he says later, the love of the Father with which he loved the Son being in us, and Christ in us (v. 26). To put it very simply, the purpose of the mission Christ gave his disciples is communion together with God, the very purpose for which he created them.

The immediate context of this prayer, the Last Supper, is no coincidence, for communion with God in his presence is what his people celebrate at the Lord’s Table; it is a visible representation of the communion we share with Christ and with each other as his body. And when God’s people make their center the worship of God through Christ, set apart from the world by truth, Christ indicates that two things happen: first, as we draw near to fellowship with God, we become one with one another, and second, that very communion we have with God and with one another causes the world to believe in Christ.

In other words, Christ’s commission to make disciples is directly connected with his worship—making disciples is making worshipers of God through Christ, and the sincere worship of God’s people will help to draw more people in that communion.

Quote:Christ’s commission to make disciples is directly connected with his worship—making disciples is making worshipers of God through Christ, and the sincere worship of God’s people will help to draw more people in that communion.

This important connection between the church’s mission and worship is succinctly stated by Devin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert in What is the Mission of the Church:

Quote:The mission of the church is to go into the world and make disciples by declaring the gospel of Jesus Christ in the power of the Spirit and gathering these disciples into churches, that they might worship the Lord and obey his commands now and in eternity to the glory of God the Father.1

This was a weighty commission, one that would cost many of his followers their lives, and one that would control the priorities, resources, and energies of his people throughout all church history. Yet Jesus did not leave his people to accomplish this mission alone; rather, he promised that he would be with them always, to the end of the age.

1 Kevin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert, What Is the Mission of the Church? Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission (Wheaton: Crossway, 2011), 62.
Author

Scott Aniol
[/url]Executive Vice President and Editor-in-Chief G3 Ministries

Scott Aniol, PhD, is Executive Vice President and Editor-in-Chief of G3 Ministries. He lectures around the world in churches, conferences, colleges, and seminaries, and he has authored several books and dozens of articles. You can find more, including publications and speaking itinerary, at [url=https://www.scottaniol.com/]www.scottaniol.com
. Scott and his wife, Becky, have four children: Caleb, Kate, Christopher, and Caroline. You can listen to his podcast here.
People of the Book Draw Near
Like Reply