WOOD you? Woodworking and Makers thread for those who love making things
(10-13-2021, 12:46 PM)DaJavoo Wrote: Color me impressed, @SlowLoris   Heartflowers

Such a thoughtful gift crafted from the heart & soul!

I got the plans from the Rouge Engineer who has a YouTube channel. He used MDF and painted the one he made.

I had some scrap oak flooring and one oak stair tread that son #3 gave me from his house build. The flooring is 3/4" and I wanted it to be 1/2" so a few passes through the thickness planer and I had two 5 gallon buckets of oak chips and sawdust and 1/2" boards. The stair tread is 1" thick so it made perfect bedposts.

The granddaughter can safely sit on it if she wants because there are a lot of screws and glue holding it together.
[Image: 5Z2I3zs.jpg] [Image: QpzjD4Q.png]
Getting old is no problem. You just have to live long enough. * Groucho Marx
[-] The following 4 users Like SlowLoris's post:
  • DaJavoo, FlyoverCountry, PickleSnout, Sassy
Like Reply
SlowLoris Wrote:
DaJavoo Wrote:Color me impressed, @SlowLoris   Heartflowers

Such a thoughtful gift crafted from the heart & soul!

I got the plans from the Rouge Engineer who has a YouTube channel. He used MDF and painted the one he made.

I had some scrap oak flooring and one oak stair tread that son #3 gave me from his house build. The flooring is 3/4" and I wanted it to be 1/2" so a few passes through the thickness planer and I had two 5 gallon buckets of oak chips and sawdust and 1/2" boards. The stair tread is 1" thick so it made perfect bedposts.

The granddaughter can safely sit on it if she wants because there are a lot of screws and glue holding it together.

And you added the wood plugs. Good quality.
Heartflowers
[-] The following 3 users Like PickleSnout's post:
  • DaJavoo, Sassy, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(10-05-2021, 08:38 PM)PickleSnout Wrote: Completed my candle lantern project.

[Image: VNcgqxC.jpg]
You know that I love the copper. 

It is a shame that we throw so much in the recycling and pay someone to haul it off.

Coated in resin and turned on a lathe makes awesome things

[Image: sj45h51.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like FlyoverCountry's post:
  • Betty, PickleSnout, Sassy, SlowLoris
Like Reply
Speaking of recycling, if you're working with non-treated wood, save that Sawdust.  It is a necessary component, along with Molasses and Fish Offal, of making a very potent Fish Emulsion Fertilizer.  Caution:  have a strong nose when initially mixing and checking; and don't let the dog drink it because at least my dog always licks at the container when opened.  I use a plastic 5-gallon, and months later pour that into glass 1-gallon bottles.

There is non-treated wood sawdust in glass jars ready for another batch; just need the fish parts now, then hunt for more untreated sawdust.  Such sawdust is useable stuff, and non-treated, being harder to find, is a treasure for making chemical-free fertilizer.
[-] The following 4 users Like Betty's post:
  • DaJavoo, PickleSnout, Sassy, SlowLoris
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 01:07 PM)Betty Wrote: Speaking of recycling, if you're working with non-treated wood, save that Sawdust.  It is a necessary component, along with Molasses and Fish Offal, of making a very potent Fish Emulsion Fertilizer.  Caution:  have a strong nose when initially mixing and checking; and don't let the dog drink it because at least my dog always licks at the container when opened.  I use a plastic 5-gallon, and months later pour that into glass 1-gallon bottles.

There is non-treated wood sawdust in glass jars ready for another batch; just need the fish parts now, then hunt for more untreated sawdust.  Such sawdust is useable stuff, and non-treated, being harder to find, is a treasure for making chemical-free fertilizer.

My untreated sawdust goes in the compost bin or as a top dressing on container plants.

Mixing it with fish guts would never cross my mind. But the fish emulsion fertilizer at the garden shop is very expensive.  Fermenting your own is a great idea, if you can tolerate the smell  .
[Image: 5Z2I3zs.jpg] [Image: QpzjD4Q.png]
Getting old is no problem. You just have to live long enough. * Groucho Marx
[-] The following 3 users Like SlowLoris's post:
  • Betty, DaJavoo, PickleSnout
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 02:04 PM)SlowLoris Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 01:07 PM)Betty Wrote: Speaking of recycling, if you're working with non-treated wood, save that Sawdust.  It is a necessary component, along with Molasses and Fish Offal, of making a very potent Fish Emulsion Fertilizer.  Caution:  have a strong nose when initially mixing and checking; and don't let the dog drink it because at least my dog always licks at the container when opened.  I use a plastic 5-gallon, and months later pour that into glass 1-gallon bottles.

My untreated sawdust goes in the compost bin or as a top dressing on container plants.

Mixing it with fish guts would never cross my mind. But the fish emulsion fertilizer at the garden shop is very expensive.  Fermenting your own is a great idea, if you can tolerate the smell  .

I never throw out my shavings. It is a cover for collected doodles till trash day, it is plant topper, mixed with candle ends it is firestarter... too much good stuff!
Heartflowers
[-] The following 2 users Like PickleSnout's post:
  • Betty, SlowLoris
Like Reply